[Jacob-list] Ram Behavior

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Tue Nov 7 10:56:37 EST 2000

Thanks Mary Ellen for reminding everyone to keep a watchful eye on their rams.  What a terrible accident!
We lost my favorite 2-horned ram last week who was killed by his twin brother with ONE butt to the head.  Breeding season makes rams much more aggressive and possibly more dangerous to their owners.  I recall past posts to this list where some people were making pets of their rams, and even letting their children
come in close contact with them.  This is a big mistake, even when the ram is a lamb.  Some ewes can also be dangerous when they are protecting their lambs, or penned up in a tight spot for shearing, etc.
This spring we had a crossbred ewe with twins.  One twin was weak and we wanted to examine it.  She would not let us get close to it and actually charged my husband.  He got a sorting panel that we use for our hogs to put between the ewe and himself.  He was finally able to get close enough to grab the lamb. Another crossbred ewe butted him when we were docking lamb tails.

                                                                                      Mary Spahr