[IETF-IDRM] Re: [IDRM] DRM Taxonomy work -- "content holder" vs. "content owner"

Renato Iannella renato@iprsystems.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 12:33:55 +1000

--On 23/5/01 5:53 PM -0400 Jason Petrone wrote:

> I think both terms 'content owner' and 'content holder' are both vague.  I
> understand 'content' to mean 'original work'.  Despite the misleading term
> 'intellectual property', it is not something a person can own.   I think
> better terms are 'copyright owner' and 'instance owner'.

This is where the <indecs> principles come in very handy.

The key idea is not define an entity such as a "copyright owner"
as you are conflating two core entities: Parties and Rights.

Indecs would say that "Party X has Rights Y".

Indecs model also assigns "roles" to parties (eg Author, Illustrator,
Publisher) and then these can be mapped to jurisdiction-based copyright
laws.

These give maximum flexibility for DRM assertions.

For a animated summary of the indecs model, see slides 22-36 here:

  http://www.w3.org/2000/12/drm-ws/pp/indecs-rust.ppt

Also, you can/must own "intellectual property"- otherwise we wouldn't
all be here !! ;-))

Cheers...Renato                       <http://purl.net/net/renato>
Chief Scientist, IPR Systems Pty Ltd       <http://iprsystems.com>