[IETF-IDRM] Re: [IDRM] draft-irtf-idrm-handle-system-00.txt

Jason Petrone jpetrone@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 23 May 2001 18:06:32 -0400

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 11:21:48PM -0700, Mark Baugher wrote:
> The Handle System is one system that addresses these requirements for
> content-work publishing, in my opinion.  You don't get this with URIs today.
> Will publishers, record labels, movie studios want the namespace and
> persistence features as well?  I don't know.

Book publishers are beginning to use the handle system for registering
works(www.doi.org).

Music publishers in the United States are moving in that direction as well.
The deposit forms they submit to the US Copyright Office will soon include an
entry for a handle.

Jason