[IETF-IDRM] Re: [IDRM] DRM Taxonomy work -- "content holder" vs. "content owner"

Jason Petrone jpetrone@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 23 May 2001 17:53:33 -0400

I think both terms 'content owner' and 'content holder' are both vague.  I
understand 'content' to mean 'original work'.  Despite the misleading term
'intellectual property', it is not something a person can own.   I think better
terms are 'copyright owner' and 'instance owner'.

A copyright owner is guaranteed 6 exclusive rights: reproduction, adaptation,
distribution, performance, display, and digital audio transmission.

In the example Madonna or her publishing company is the copyright owner.
If you give me a copy of Madonna's mp3, I don't owe her anything.  I am not
infringing on any of the 6 rights copyright law grants her.  However, you
may have.

It is possible to split up these rights.  For example, Madonna can give YOU
exclusive reproduction and distribution rights.  Then both you and her
would be copyright owners.  However, she can also grant you the same rights
under a non-exclusive license, and she will remain the sole copyright owner.

So in addition to 'copyright owner' and 'work instance owner', we also have
licensee, a person who holds non-exclusive rights for that work.

Jason