[IETF-IDRM] Re: [IDRM] DRM Taxonomy work -- "content holder" vs. "content owner"

Mark Baugher mbaugher@cisco.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 13:19:32 -0700

Thomas, Sam
   I think Renato has a good point about working from an existing framework
such as Indecs.  Page 16 of the Indecs framework shows the legal view of
"persons, "intellectual property," and "(intellectual property)
rights."  This is what I think what you and Sam are discussing.  Our
exchange will be better grounded if we can relate these concepts to what
the products of related efforts.  Indecs recognizes that only a person or
collection of persons have legal status, but other types of parties that do
not have legal status are important to intellectual property rights, such
as "Modonna," "Lassie," or the "Rolling Stones."  The Indecs Directory of
Parties: Outline Specification
(http://www.indecs.org/pdf/DirectoryofParties.pdf) encounters the problems
of uniqueness, persistence, privacy, operations and governance that are
germane to the current idrm email threads, taxonomy and handle system.

Mark

as Indecs, which represents multiple person-years of work.