eating contest at Chester's 40 flavors

Michael Eisenstadt michaele@ando.pair.com
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:46:46 -0600

shelton wrote:

> Billy Jim Strong mentions the Green Monster eating contest between the
> DAILY TEXAN team and the RANGER team.  I remember it well, having been
> present at the event, although thankfully not as a contestant.
>
> There was an ice cream parlor on the corner of 24th and (Rio Grande?)
> which had 36 flavors of ice cream (This shop has been immortalized by
> Lieuen Adkins in his poem "Willie and the 36 Flavors).

As I remember the name of the store was Chester's 40 Flavors
it was on 24th at or near Rio Grande.

Chester was a character, he wanted my sister-in-law (to be)
to paint a portrait of him but in the nude. The 40 flavors
were all different colors but all tasted the same -- nasty.
They may not have been WW II Army surplus but the syrup for
Chester-Cola was, it came in big drums with US Army markings on
them. I tried Chester-Cola once: unbelievable.

Chester's girlfriend, a hairdresser lived in the same rooming
house as my sister-in-law, also on 24th. This was an old frame
house with a beauty parlour on the first floor. Anybody
else remember? Carolyn, you remember all this doncha?