eating contest

shelton shelton@pairlist.net
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 19:47:12 +0200

--------------5E746A59EC4D321BA769C9C9

Billy Jim Strong mentions the Green Monster eating contest between the
DAILY TEXAN team and the RANGER team.  I remember it well, having been
present at the event, although thankfully not as a contestant.

There was an ice cream parlor on the corner of 24th and (Rio Grande?)
which had 36 flavors of ice cream (This shop has been immortalized by
Lieuen Adkins in his poem "Willie and the 36 Flavors).  Anyway, this ice
cream shop had a sign on the wall which offered: GREEN MONSTER, $3.50
(or some such sum which seemed extravagant at the time) FREE IF YOU CAN
FINISH IT.  The Green Monster consisted of fifteen scoops of ice cream
or sherbet, to be chosen by the eater from the generous list of flavors.
 The ice cream was placed on top of two fried pies, and the entire thing
was soaked in chocolate, strawberry, pineapple and perhaps other sauces.

So a challenge was issued, and taken up, and the two teams of two eaters
apiece went to the ice cream shop and ordered a Green Monster for each.
Representing the RANGER were Bill Killeen and Tami Dean, and
representing the DAILY TEXAN were Billy Strong and Clark Santos.  Or
else it was the other way around with Tami and Clark, I can't remember.

Bill Killeen and Billy Strong were able to finish theirs, but the
contest ended in a tie.

Tami had had the apparently reasonable idea of choosing what seemed to
be the least rich choice of flavors, so she chose eight scoops of orange
sherbet and seven scoops of lime sherbet.  This idea backfired on her,
however, when the sherbet melted before she could finish it, and the
resulting soup had the color of wet cement.  This proved to be too much
for Tami to contemplate, and when last seen she was running for the rest
room with her hand over her mouth.

Clark was not as fortunate.  Before he finished he, too, threw up, but
he was unable to move from his chair at the time--indeed, unable to move
from his semi-reclining position, and the regurgitated ice cream poured
in colorful cascades down his chest and stomach.

So the sponsors of the contest forked over the money for the two
unfinished Green Monsters, and we got out of there.

A bit later I found Bill Killeen in the basement of the journalism
building, lying on a wooden bench curled up in the fetal position.  He
told me that he felt as if he had swallowed a bowling ball, but on the
other hand, if he could finish a Green Monster two or three times per
week he would not have to worry about finding money for food.

That's how I remember it, anyway.  This story goes in the file
somewhere in between "good ghetto stories" and "bad ghetto stories".

Gilbert
--------------5E746A59EC4D321BA769C9C9

begin:vcard
n:Shelton;Gilbert