eating contest at Chester's 40 flavors

Carolyn Garner Siscoe globe@zipcon.net
Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:48:45 -0800

If it is me you are asking, yes,  I think because I saw the big containers
of syrup I never had any ice cream at Chester's Perhaps if Chester had
wanted to be painted in all his ice cream colors Lonnie would have painted a
portrait of him but I think she really didn't take Chester that seriously
more she was wise to him.   I remember the rooming house,two story with an
extension in back, Lonnie living there-a very nice apartment a shared
kitchen.  Lonnie could make the most incredible dinner out of nothing but
carrots-starving student funds were not an hindrance, she did MFK Fisher one
better on using very simple limited ingredients to make a feast- and, the
hairdresser when Chester would come and collect her for the evening, she
always packed a tiny little vanity case-very 1950's.
and a  french girl from Algiers.  I remember Lonnie's landlady, a sort of
very plump woman who tried to look like Audrey Hepburn, died black bangs,
who I think had wanted to be a painter. Although the landlady was choosy the
place was cheap.
    .  On one night the rapist, the one who always wore white because he
worked at the hospital for mentally off  broke into the french girl's room,
his modus opendi was to stand at the foot of the bed and stare then spring
into action, she woke up and screamed-we called the police, after they left
all- of us, this was I think before Lonnie was there- a lot of people I knew
lived there and come to think of it didn't think of it now all were women-
stayed up while she to calm her nerves told us all about growing up in
Algeria during the terrorist bombings and the war with France--so a mere
potential rapist was low on the list of horror.
 Carolyn
   .