Fwd: 501(c)(3) proposed legislation (affecting churches). Our federal government at work.

Frances Morey frances_morey@excite.com
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:18:35 -0800 (PST)

Could this signal the end of charity as we know it, like welfare under the
Clinton administration?
Frances

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 17:04:55 -0800, Jon Ford wrote:

>  >From: "Don  Laird" <dlaird1@austin.rr.com>
>  >To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
>  >Subject: 501(c)(3) proposed legislation  (affecting churches).  Our
federal
>  >government at work.
>  >Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 00:44:16 -0600
>  >
>  >
>  > > ------- Forwarded message follows -------
>  > > Date sent:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 02:09:05 -0600
>  > > To:             libertyics@egroups.com
>  > > From:           Skip W <jrwent@earthlink.net>
>  > > Subject:        PROP: More Seizures Authorized Under "Anti-Terrorism"
>  > > Legislation...
>  > >
>  > > >From: "John Dunham" <ddunham@sisqtel.net>
>  > > >From: JDC
>  > > >From: WILLIAM B ATWOOD [mailto:madd_professor@prodigy.net]
>  > > >Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 11:33 PM
>  > > >Subject: 501C now in jeapordy.
>  > > >
>  > > >  U.S. Government agencies will be able to seize assets of
>  > > >citizens, 501C3 and other organizations and their members without
ever
>  > > >disclosing the evidence against their property. Government need only
>  > > >allege that disclosing such evidence may compromise National
security
>  > > >and/or an ongoing investigation.
>  > > >
>  > > >Consider these items in the new Senate Terrorist Bill 1510: "MONEY
>  > > >LAUNDERING ABATEMENT AND ANTI-TERRORIST FINANCING ACT OF 2001"
>  > > >
>  > > >Political Activists and Demonstrators should Zero in on S.1510. The
>  > > >bill's provisions can be used to eradicate public dissent - - and
you!
>  > > >Under Senate Bill 1510, now being considered in the Senate as an
>  > > >Anti-terrorism act:
>  > > >
>  > > >a.. An entire 501C3 organization or other organization, including
its
>  > > >members, can have their assets seized for supporting bodily acts or
>  > > >international causes that the U.S. Secretary of State may deem
>  >terrorist
>  > > >activity. Political activities that were legal prior to S.1510 may
>  > > >"RETROACTIVELY" be deemed terrorist activity by U.S. Government.
>  > > >Participants and supporters may be charged with terrorist and other
>  > > >offenses.
>  > > >
>  > > >If you want to read this bill for yourself, go to
>  >http://Thomas.loc.gov,
>  > > >to the 107th Congress, and Senate Bill 1510.
>  > > >
>  > > >(2). S.1510 "RETROACTIVELY" abolishes the "Statue of Limitations"
for
>  > > >many past offenses where no one was injured. After passage of
S.1510,
>  > > >any past offense that can be broadly alleged to have put someone "at
>  > > >risk" may be used by federal and state prosecutors to charge a
citizen
>  > > >with a terrorist act - even 30 years after the Statute of
Limitations
>  > > >period had already passed. Government will have no difficulty
>  > > >manufacturing evidence to prosecute citizens once Constitutional
>  > > >safeguards against passing Retroactive Laws are abolished after
passage
>  > > >of S.1510.
>  > > >
>  > > >(3) No "innocent owner defense" allowed against Asset Forfeiture
when,
>  > > >after passage of S 1510, U.S. Government agencies will be able to
seize
>  > > >assets of citizens, 501C3 and other organizations and their members
>  > > >without ever disclosing the evidence against their property.
>  > > >
>  > > >Government need only allege that disclosing such evidence may
>  >compromise
>  > > >National security and/or an ongoing investigation. S 1510 provides
for
>  > > >paying "unnamed informants huge rewards" resulting from arrests and
>  > > >forfeited assets. It is hard to believe any organization or citizen
>  > > >could ever recover their assets once they are seized by a government
>  > > >agency in the name of National Security. That may include a
citizen's
>  > > >home in which an informant secretly alleges someone said the wrong
>  > > >thing.
>  > > >
>  > > >(4) "D Below" is from the Senate Bill 1510. So much for trusting
>  > > >attorneys!
>  > > >"(d) UNDERCOVER ACTIVITIES- Notwithstanding any provision of State
law,
>  > > >including disciplinary rules, statutes, regulations, constitutional
>  > > >provisions, or case law, a Government attorney may, for the purpose
of
>  > > >enforcing Federal law, provide legal advice, authorization,
>  >concurrence,
>  > > >direction, or supervision on conducting undercover activities, and
any
>  > > >attorney employed as an investigator or other law enforcement agent
by
>  > > >the Department of Justice who is not authorized to represent the
United
>  > > >States in criminal or civil law enforcement litigation or to
supervise
>  > > >such proceedings may participate in such activities, even though
such
>  > > >activities may require the use of deceit or misrepresentation, where
>  > > >such activities are consistent with Federal law.
>  > > >
>  > > >(e) ADMISSIBILITY OF EVIDENCE- No violation of any disciplinary,
>  > > >ethical, or professional conduct rule shall be construed to permit
the
>  > > >exclusion of otherwise admissible evidence in any Federal criminal
>  > > >proceedings".
>  > > >
>  > > >This bill is similar to the one Adolf Hitler pushed through the
>  > > >Reichstag after the Reichstag fire in the early 1930's. German Jews,
>  > > >horrified by the chaos in Germany after the fire, supported Hitler's
>  > > >legislation - then found he could (and planned to) use it against
them.
>  > > >
>  > > >This is worse legislation than the Sedition Laws of the 1790's,
later
>  > > >declared unconstitutional and leading to the end of John Adams'
>  > > >presidency.
>  > > >
>  > > >Understand! Under the law as now written, you and anyone connected
with
>  > > >any organization - 501(c)(3), church, Rotary, any organization - can
be
>  > > >snagged under this legislation. Lifting the Statute of Limitations
>  >means
>  > > >that you could have your home and other assets seized if you were a
>  > > >member of an organization that supported, for example, Leonard
Peltier,
>  > > >or sent food or medicine to Cuba, or even protested against nukes in

>  >the
>  > > >'60s - and the U.S.G. decided that that organization was then or is
now
>  >in
>  > > >any way associated with someone or some organization that is somehow
>  > > >connected to a "terrorist organization."
>  > > >
>  > > >Of course, it will be said that that is highly unlikely to happen if

>  >you
>  > > >keep your nose clean - and don't give financial or other support to
any
>  > > >suspect organization.
>  > > >
>  > > >There are thousands of people in our prisons now, put there by the
>  > > >testimony of paid/"rewarded" informers. All it takes is for some
such
>  > > >person to provide "testimony" that the ACLU or the Sierra Club or
>  > > >Pastors for Peace, or other organization is "supporting" terrorists.
Or