[MyAppleMenu] Oct 25, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 25 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Syncing iCloud With Windows And Outlook <http://www.macworld.com/article/163189/2011/10/syncing_icloud_with_windows_and_outlook.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Tony Bradley, Macworld

Apple’s iCloud is a nice tool for keeping contacts, calendar items, and other data in sync between my iPhone and iPad, but what about keeping everything synced up with my Windows PC?

**** Apple Tweaks Smart Cover Line, Removes The Orange Color & Adds New Dark Gray Version <http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-tweaks-smart-cover-line-removes-the-orange-color-adds-new-dark-gray-version/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

Apple has also tweaked the design of the Smart Covers with all the leather models now featuring a “color-matched microfiber lining”.

**** iPad Rental Business Is Booming In Madrid, Spain <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/24/ipad-rental-business-is-booming-in-madrid-spain/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

PadInTheCity is a company offering up an intriguing proposition: Rent a 3G iPad while you happen to be touring around the city of Madrid, Spain.

**** Over The High-Tech Rainbow <http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/oct/24/over-high-tech-rainbow/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Sue Halpern, New York Review Of Books

Money and magic numbers couldn’t save Steve Jobs, and according to Rothberg, “it will probably be twenty years before we understand cancer the way we understand HIV.” If that happens, what Jobs and his medical team were trying to accomplish—tailoring treatment to the individual attributes of both the patient and his particular disease—will become commonplace. Once again, Jobs was playing where the puck was going to be, only this time he got there too soon. It remains to be seen if, twenty years hence, we will have the kind of society and the kind of health care system that lets the rest of us follow.

**** Steve Jobs Solved The Innovator's Dilemma <http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/10/steve_jobs_solved_the_innovato.html>
James Allworth, Havard Business Review

Jobs was profoundly influenced by the Innovator's Dilemma — he saw the company he created almost die from it. When he returned to Apple, Jobs was determined to solve it. And he did. That "subtle difference" — of flipping the priorities away from profit and back to great products — took Apple from three months away from bankruptcy, to one of the most valuable and influential companies in the world.

**** Apple Addresses Video Freeze Issue On Mid-2010 15-Inch MacBook Pro <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/24/apple-addresses-video-freeze-issue-on-mid-2010-15-inch-macbook-pro/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

Apple today released MacBook Pro Video Update 1.0, a new software update designed to address freezing and other video issues on the company's Mid-2010 version of the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

**** The Best Time Tracking App For Mac OS X <http://lifehacker.com/5852790/the-best-time-tracking-app-for-mac-os-x>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

**** Google Reader And Mac/iOS RSS Readers That Sync <http://inessential.com/2011/10/24/google_reader_and_mac_ios_rss_readers_th>
Brent Simmons, Inessential

I’m not an RSS reader developer any more. But if I were, I’d start looking for an alternative syncing system right now.

**** Subtext Brings Social And Gaming To Ebook Reading <http://www.macworld.com/article/163205/2011/10/subtext_brings_social_and_gaming_to_ebook_reading.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Alexandra Chang, Macworld

The app aims to enhance users’ reading experiences with notes—embedded directly into the pages of an ebook—from authors, experts, and Subtext community members; and rewards points to users who contribute to the discussion.

**** Change Application Categories In Lion <http://www.macworld.com/article/163170/2011/10/change_application_categories_in_lion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Macworld

**** StoryMill 4.0 Ideal For Ultra-organized Novel Writers <http://www.macworld.com/article/163148/2011/10/storymill_4_0_ideal_for_ultra_organized_novel_writers.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Nathan Alderman, Macworld

If you plan your novels with military precision, Mariner Software’s StoryMill 4.0.4 could be the right ally to launch your literary assault. However, writers who engage in a more freeform approach might find the program’s data-heavy approach confining, and those craving even more power and functionality might not find it here.

**** iOS Basics: Navigate On Your iPhone Or iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/163134/2011/10/ios_basics_navigate_on_your_iphone_or_ipad.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Macworld

**** The Big Business Of ‘Big Data’ <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/big-data/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Quentin Hardy, New York Times

**** A New Chapter For E-Books <http://www.technologyreview.com/article/38874/?ref=rss>
Erica Naone, Technology Review

Lavish electronic-book projects point toward the pinnacle of the medium.

**** Scan Anything and Let Your Phone Do The Rest <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/38935/?ref=rss>
IAN E. MULLER, Technology Review

**** Is This The Future Of Punctuation!? <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204618704576641182784805212.html>
Henry Hitchings, Wall Street Journal

The apostrophe is mainly a device for the eye, not the ear. And while I plan to keep handling apostrophes in accordance with the principles I was shown as a child, I am confident that they will either disappear or be reduced to little baubles of orthographic bling.

**** How The Potato Changed The World <http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/How-the-Potato-Changed-the-World.html?c=y&story=fullstory>
Charles C. Mann, Smithsonian

Today the potato is the fifth most important crop worldwide, after wheat, corn, rice and sugar cane. But in the 18th century the tuber was a startling novelty, frightening to some, bewildering to others—part of a global ecological convulsion set off by Christopher Columbus.

**** The Display Of One-upmanship In Parliament <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/10/display-of-one-upmanship-in-parliament.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

Does the "new normal" in politics include the beginning of a display of more affability on the part of PAP ministers and MPs towards the opposition (especially Workers' Party (WP) MPs in Parliament? This does not seem to be incongruous with the aim of the realistic PM Lee Hsien Loong but whether this noble intention has gone down well with his colleagues and MPs is intriguing. If the proceedings of the start of the 12th Parliament are any indication, it shows that there are still a few stragglers among the MPs and at least one minister without portfolio.

**** The Media Re-Visited <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/10/media-re-visited.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Golf Courses, Not History, Should Make Way <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111025-0000167/Golf-courses,-not-history,-should-make-way>
Liew Kai Khiun, Today

To underline the exclusive nature of golfing here, the premium Singapore Island Country Club has four 18-hole courses, a nine-hole course and two driving ranges that stretch from Adam Road to the boundaries of Peirce Reservoir. All these facilities and land, enjoyed by about 18,000 members.

Given the increasing congestion in public parks like MacRitchie Reservoir and East Coast Park, it is unacceptable that a privileged few have exclusive access to large plots of land in a tiny country with a burgeoning population. If there must be redevelopment in the Lornie Road area, one of SICC's golf courses, rather than the cemetery, should make way.

**** Why London Cabs Are The Only Fallback For Some <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_726802.html>
Peter Loh, Straits Times

We are well aware of these options. In fact, this is often our first choice due to its lower costs. But these services have limited operating hours and a large pool of clients. So London cabs are our only fallback.

**** Transport Operators' Standards Won't Improve With Paltry Fines <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_726814.html>
Mark Woon, Straits Times

How are the $300 fine on SMRT and the $700 fine on SBS going to have any effect on those companies, which rake in profits of millions of dollars a year? This is not even 'peanuts' to them.

There is a very significant discrepancy between what LTA deemed as minimum acceptable standard and what commuters will accept.

**** Occupy Singapore Failed Miserably Because We're In Singapore <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/alexis-ong-occupy-singapore-failed-miserably-because-were-singapore-451440>
Alexis Ong, CNNGo

**** Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice : I Had It In Singapore! <http://www.queensnotebook.com/2011/10/singapore-hainanese-chicken-rice-i-had-it-in-singapore/>
The Queen's Notebook

The Hainanese Chicken Rice dish is one of the easiest, simplest, healthiest, yet utterly divine chicken dishes in the world.

**** My Responses To The Same Ol’ Arguments <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/10/24/my-responses-to-the-same-ol-arguments/>
Kirsten Han, Funny Little World

After almost 2 years of this, I have decided to write down, point by point, argument by argument, my usual responses.

**** 公众几天后可上网观看议员讲话录像 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl111025_005.shtml>
韩璇瑰,新传媒, 联合早报

新闻节目里的国会报道,以及15分钟的《国会摘要》节目,均以重点报道国会辩论为内容,并以尽量多播出不同议员的言论为宗旨。在最近一周的辩论中,每天平均总共播出了15位议员的讲话。即使时间有限,我们还是坚持要广泛反映不同议员的不同声音,同时让观众掌握当天最重要的课题。

**** SPP Chairman Sin Kek Tong Stepping Down <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_726942.html>
Straits Times

Sources say secretary-general Chiam See Tong may run for the chairmanship. Meanwhile, either Mr Benjamin Pwee or Mr Wilfred Leung, who are both currently assistant secretary-generals, may run for secretary-general.

**** Housing Affordability Key To Good Parenting <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_726800.html>
Cheryl Lee, Straits Times

Many children nowadays do not enjoy the kind of home environment where a mother is present most of the time to motivate and guide them. As such, it is no wonder that many Singapore women are reluctant to have more children.

Make HDB housing affordable based on one parent's salary.

**** More Than A Year's Wait For Justice <http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/community/item/178-more-than-a-years-wait-for-justice>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

Some have asked: why does it take more than a year for the police to act on the perpetrators of such crimes? And in Ms Priya's case, why so long for the police to even begin investigation?

**** Malaysia, Singapore Struggle With Maid Bans <http://www.voanews.com/english/news/asia/Malaysia-Singapore-Struggle-With-Maid-Bans-132502753.html>
Yong Yen Nie, Voice Of America

**** Singapore Overtakes China As Malaysia's Largest Trading Partner, Says Muhyiddin <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=622338>
Tengku Noor Shamsiah Tengku Abdullah, Bernama

Singapore overtook China as Malaysia's largest trading partner last year, an indication of how trade has expanded between the two neighbours, deputy prime minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said Tuesday.

**** But How Many On Death Row? <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/but-how-many-on-death-row/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

But when I showed Once a Jolly Hangman author Alan Shadrake the latest figures, his first question was: How many are currently on death row? We don’t have data, but he believes, based on newspaper reports of convictions in court, there are 30 – 40 .

If so, what it means is that at some point in the future, the old pace of executions must resume, otherwise the backlog keeps growing.

**** Deaf Frog Recovers Hearing And Other Ministerial Tales <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/deaf-frog-recovers-hearing-and-other-ministerial-tales/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Halal Pork Picture A Hoax, Says NTUC FairPrice <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1161686/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

Supermarket chain NTUC FairPrice has said that a picture making its rounds on the Internet, showing what looks to be halal pork is a hoax, and that the picture is the same doctored image that surfaced in 2007.