[MyAppleMenu] Oct 26, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 26 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Troubleshooting A Battery-sucking iPhone 4S <http://www.macworld.com/article/163200/2011/10/troubleshoot_iphone4s_battery.html>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

My hope is that not only can I describe how I went about troubleshooting the problem, but call upon others who have experienced poor battery performance to comment here so that we may be better able to pinpoint common issues.

**** Is Mobile Browsing Faster On iOS 5? Yes- It’s Significantly Better In Our Snapshot Comparison <http://blog.newrelic.com/2011/10/25/is-mobile-browsing-faster-on-ios-5/>
New Relic

**** iPhone 4S Inconsistent Camera Auto-focus <http://www.macworld.com/article/163226/2011/10/iphone4s_autofocus.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

So yes, there’s an issue, but its consistency can’t be counted on. In the meantime, if you really need to focus on a subject and your iPhone seems incapable of it, give the screen a very gentle tap to focus.

**** Macworld Expo Rebranded As 'Macworld|iWorld' For 2012 <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/25/macworld-expo-rebranded-as-macworldiworld-for-2012/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** Iris 9000 Lets You Boss Siri Around From Across The Room <http://www.macgasm.net/2011/10/25/control-siri-iris-9000/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macgasm%2Fmain+%28Macgasm%29>
Jared Erondu, Macgasm

This voice control module from ThinkGeek lets you control Apple’s Siri from up to 50 feet away. In addition, it has an embedded speaker that amplifies Siri’s responses.

**** Running With Nike+: Putting The 2011 iPod Nano To The Test <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/10/running-with-nike-putting-the-2011-ipod-nano-to-the-test.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

I'll cut to the chase: Nike+ on the new iPod nano was not particularly accurate for me on speed or distance, but the poor speed calculation is likely because of the inaccurate distance estimate.

**** Solve Mail Search Problems <http://www.macworld.com/article/163197/2011/10/solve_mail_search_problems.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

Even when you know the basics of searching in Lion’s Mail, sometimes an email message you clearly remember stubbornly stays lost. If a Mail search doesn’t display messages that you know it should—and you’ve ruled out user error such as selecting the wrong mailbox, or choosing a header instead of message contents—there are several possible causes. Which solution to use depends on whether errors occur searching message contents (the body of your message) or headers (the contents of the To, CC, BCC, From, and Subject fields).

**** Apple Online Store Begins Offering In-Store Pickup In San Francisco <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/26/apple-online-store-begins-offering-in-store-pickup-in-san-francisco/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

Users adding products to their shopping cart are now presented with an option of whether to have their order shipped or made available for pickup. Customers can search for their closest Apple retail stores based on zip code, although options are obviously limited with the pilot program currently including only three stores: San Francisco flagship, Stonestown, and Chestnut Street.

**** 'Tsunami' Backdoor Trojan For Mac OS X Spotted <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?newsid=3313605&olo=rss>
Ben Camm-Jones, Macworld

A Trojan targeting computers running Mac OS X which can be used to launch DDoS (distributed denial-of-service) attacks on websites has been discovered.

**** Gems Revisited: Fantastical 1.1 And Moom 2.3.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/163222/2011/10/gems_revisited_fantastical_1_1_and_moom_2_3_1.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Apple's Sometimes-screwball Design Aesthetic <http://kottke.org/11/10/apples-sometimes-screwball-design-aesthetic>
Jason Kottke

I don't know, it's really confusing how the same company, especially one that had such strong design leadership, could produce something as beautifully spare as iOS and something as cheesy as the Game Center app.

**** iMessengers Be Warned <http://chuckskoda.com/entry/imessengers-be-warned/>
Technochocolate

iMessage, one of the headlining features of iOS 5, has a peculiarity with handling multiple recipient messages that you should keep in mind.

Steven Sande, TUAW

Publisher Condé Nast is reporting that subscriptions for the digital editions of its titles have jumped 268 percent since Newsstand was released on October 12, 2011.

**** Apple's 2011 Annual Report: More Hiring, More Sales, No Dividends Coming <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/26/apples-2011-annual-report-more-hiring-more-sales-no-dividends-coming/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

**** The Living Dinosaur <http://harvardmagazine.com/2011/11/the-living-dinosaur>
Jill Jonnes, Harvard Magazine

Peter Del Tredici’s serach for the wild ginkgo.

**** Deep Intellect <http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/6474/>
Sy Montgomery, Orion

Inside the mind of the octopus.

**** Handwriting: An Elegy <http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ideas/ann-wroe/handwriting-elegy?page=full>
Ann Wroe, Intelligent Life

The rot started when keyboards were allowed, then required, in schools, and when they became small and light enough to slip in a pocket, replacing the notebook and even the jotted to-do list—milk, bread, call garage—which remains, for many people, the greatest boon of writing.

**** Six Malaysian Films Given The Go-ahead In S'pore <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111026-0000195/Six-Malaysian-films-given-the-go-ahead-in-Spore>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

A political association, Singaporeans for Democracy (SFD), has been given the go-ahead by the Media Development Authority (MDA) to screen six films, all relating to rights, at what it described as its human rights event this Friday.

**** MRT Faults: Real Action Needed <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC111026-0000160/MRT-faults--Real-action-needed>
Prem Singh, Today

Too many things have gone wrong this year with our mass rapid transit system.

**** US Charges Singaporeans For Selling Iran Bomb Parts <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i33ROXKtUQ9sWddAHYU4laXQs4Dw?docId=CNG.a6900525299af7b53800778f872e6beb.101>
AFP

US justice officials on Tuesday charged four Singaporeans and one Iranian with fraudulently exporting radio equipment to Iran that subsequently ended up in roadside bombs in Iraq.

The indictment said thousands of antennas were meant to be exported from the United States to Iran, and in addition to the four Singaporeans, four companies from the Asian city state had been charged in the alleged plot.

**** Firms Likely To Retain Foreign Workers Despite New Salary Criteria <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1161848/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

Companies Channel NewsAsia spoke with said they're likely to retain skilled, professional foreign workers, despite the new salary criteria, which kicks in next year. They said Employment Pass-holders who have been well-trained will be an asset to the company, even though these workers would cost more.

**** Chen Show Mao’s Singapore Parliment Speech <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/10/26/chen-show-maos-speech-in-the-singapore-parliment/>
Singapore Actually

**** Pritam Singh In Parliment On The New Media <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/10/26/pritam-singh-in-parliment-on-the-new-media/>
Singapore Actually

I thought it was unfair for Pritam Singh to be questioned thus, as he was talking about perception and that was pretty clear to see.

**** Yaw Shin Leong: I Can Identify With Low Thia Khiang’s Vision <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10/yaw-shin-leong-i-can-identify-with-low-thia-khiangs-vision/>
Kieren James, The Online Citizen

It’s about deepening the connections between the people and the party; understanding local issues and national issues; entrenching the Workers’ Party’s particular gain this year; and leveraging the party for further gains next time.

**** "I'm At A Loss For Words To Describe My Feelings Inside . . " <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/10/im-at-loss-for-words-to-describe-my.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

Singaporeans do not need politicians to worry for us. We need sincere and caring politicians who say what they mean and mean what they say . . . and do what they said they would do. We are sick and tired of having wools pulled over our eyes and treated like daft idiots with spurs stuck on our hide. Talk is cheap and the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Apologies don't mean squat when arrogance comes back to bite after the objective of a 60% mandate is achieved.