[MyAppleMenu] Oct 24, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 24 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Posts Steve Jobs Celebration Video From October 19th <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/23/apple-posts-steve-jobs-celebration-video/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

Apple has posted a video from the Steve Jobs memorial/celebration held on Apple's campus on October 19th, 2011. The 80 minute video is available on Apple's site. All of the retail stores were closed during the event so that everyone could watch.

**** Apple’s Lower Prices Are All Part Of The Plan <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/technology/apples-lower-prices-are-all-part-of-the-plan.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nick Wingfield, New York Times

Something unexpected has happened at Apple, once known as the tech industry’s high-price leader. Over the last several years it began beating rivals on price.

**** Steve Jobs Biography - Defaced By Japan <http://hkmurakami.com/post/11859311074/steve-jobs-biography-defaced-by-japan>
Not Haruki

Koudansha, the largest Japanese publishing house, has just defaced the new Steve Jobs biography by modifying the original cover and adding superflous headlines (with a cover strip).

**** Launch App Quicksilver Roars Onto Mac OS X Lion <http://venturebeat.com/2011/10/23/quicksilver-lion-support/>
Tom Cheredar, Venture Beat

**** Apple Updates MacBook Pro With Faster Processor <http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/10/24/apple-updates-macbook-pro-with-faster-processor/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

Apple on Monday updated its MacBook Pro line of notebook computers, adding faster processors and graphics cards.

**** How To Find Mail Messages In Lion <http://www.macworld.com/article/163147/2011/10/how_to_find_mail_messages_in_lion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

The easiest way to find something is to type one or more words in the Search box and see what shows up in the message list—you need not even press Return. By default, Mail looks for whatever you typed in the contents of all your messages. However, you can narrow down your searches in several ways.

**** Dignity, Human Rights And ISA <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/10/dignity-human-rights-and-isa.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

With ISA where the PAP government can lock up anyone by tagging anyone as a 'security threat', can we blame Singaporeans for being fearful in not speaking up for justice, democracy and righteousness?

**** Criticise Only When You Have Alternativ​es? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/10/criticise-only-when-you-have-alternativ%E2%80%8Bes/>
John Chan, The Online Citizen

A cursory examination of the past parliament debates, speeches and policy announcements etc will show exactly how the PAP government treats most suggestions and alternative views, including those of the Opposition Parties as stated in their manifestos and other official communications. Isn’t this exactly why there is now an emphasis on genuinely listening and being open to alternative views?

Mr Lim’s reply gives me an uneasy feeling that perhaps, not all PAP MPs ‘get it’ and not all have done enough reflection.

**** Government ‘Seized Chances For Growth’ <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/government-seized-chances-for-growth/>
Yours Truly Singapore

You tried to convince Singaporeans that we were better off by comparing median incomes in the first half of the decade with that of the second half. But when the government grants large numbers of citizenship to foreigners with well-paying jobs, it automatically raises the median income without actually changing the incomes of the rest of us Singaporeans. To be fair, remove all citizens granted citizenship between 2005 and 2010 from your data and we shall see how much our median incomes have actually increased without the boost from our new citizens.

**** Notable Quote By Shanmugam <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/10/notable-quote-by-shanmugam.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

This is the most profound statement that has come out from a minister for a long time. Why is this so important? It says that there are segments of the population that have been left behind. It also says that the govt is not acknowledging this fact. See how frightening things have become. People have been left behind, the govt knows, but refused or not going to admit it. Or maybe the govt really does not know, only Shanmugam knows. Which is which?

**** Promenade To Remain Open On Non-event Days <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_726460.html>
Alvin Hang, Singapore Sports Council, Straits Times

In order to support the preparation of these events, the promenade is being used by heavy vehicles for access into the area, as well as the transportation of heavy machinery into and out of the facility. For safety reasons, the public is advised to make use of the alternative walking route along Raffles Avenue to connect to the Helix Bridge.

**** Apple’s Newsstand: Wait For 2.0 <http://www.mondaynote.com/2011/10/24/apple’s-newsstand-wait-for-2-0/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+monday-note+%28Monday+Note%29>
Frédéric Filloux, Monday Note

>From a reader’s perspective, the Apple Newsstand is a first step. There is no decisive momentum — yet. The real transformation will occur when newspapers and magazines will move to applications really designed for tablets as opposed to unimaginative adaptations of their print editions.

**** September Inflation Seen To Stay Put At 5.7% <http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/september-inflation-seen-stay-put-57>
Singapore Business Review

**** Singapore Inflation Up 5.5% In September From A Year Ago <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_726689.html>
Straits Times

Singapore's consumer price index (CPI) rose by 5.5 per cent in September 2011 compared to a year ago on higher costs of housing, private road transport and food, the Department of Statistics Singapore said on Monday.

The 9.6 per cent rise in housing costs stemmed mainly from higher accommodation costs and electricity tariffs, Singstat said.

**** Venice Of Punggol <http://singaporeshortstories.blogspot.com/2011/10/venice-of-punggol.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SingaporeShortStories+%28SINGAPORE+SHORT+STORIES%29>
Singapore Short Stories

I feel the use of "Venice in Punggol" seems to be a bit arrogant.

**** Insufficient Savings Put The Frowns On S'poreans <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1161444/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Singaporeans rate their personal savings as the area they are most unhappy with, according to a study called "The Happiness Report".