[MyAppleMenu] Oct 23, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Oct 23 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** Book Review: 'Elizabeth And Hazel' <http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/books/la-ca-david-margolick-20111023,0,7301043.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Lynell George, Los Angeles Times

"Elizabeth and Hazel: Two Women of Little Rock," journalist David Margolick's intricately woven and deeply affecting new book, follows not just Eckford's and Bryan's subsequent life paths but also sets off into the still tricky (and often treacherous) territory of race relations in this country, and how the press — explicating, evading or exacerbating — swirled around it.

**** A Man, A Bike And 4,100 Miles <http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/travel/bicycling-across-the-country-bruce-weber-reflects.html?pagewanted=all>
Bruce Weber, New York Times

This was an American journey by a New Yorker who became more American as he went along. By virtue of absorbing almost 4,000 miles of thrilling landscape, inch by inch, I learned more about topography and how it figures in the identities of thousands of localities and millions of Americans than I had ever understood.

**** Shanghai Gets Supersized <http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/Shanghai-Gets-Supersized.html>
David Devoss, Smithsonian

Over the past decade or more, Shanghai has grown like no other city on the planet. Home to 13.3 million residents in 1990, the city now has some 23 million residents (to New York City’s 8.1 million), with half a million newcomers each year. To handle the influx, developers are planning to build, among other developments, seven satellite cities on the fringes of Shanghai’s 2,400 square miles. Shanghai opened its first subway line in 1995; today it has 11; by 2025, there will be 22.

**** Workers’ Party Skirmishes In The Opening Of The 12th Parliament <http://chemgen.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/617/>
Chemical Generation Singapore

The first shots were fired and WP is now officially skirmishers in the PAP-dominated parliament. The years ahead would allow us ample opportunities to see if WP remains true to its bread and butter focus, or they would lose their way in trying to meet the aspirations of the Strawberry Generation new media mob. There is a trade-off there too for the WP.

**** 从新加坡总统国宴说起 <http://news.163.com/11/1023/12/7H24G6K600014AED.html>
海南日报

新加坡是儒文化与西方法制文明相结合的完美试验田。其文化内涵决定着国民规矩内敛、朴实向上的行为方式,很值得我们学习。

**** Govt Needs To Acknowledge Segments Of Populations Left Behind: Shanmugam <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1161265/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Law and foreign affairs minister K Shanmugam said that even as the government continues to push for growth, it must acknowledge there is a segment of the population which feels it is left behind.

He said economic growth must remain a priority, and the challenge for the government is to stay ahead amid global competition. But at the same time, it needs to make sure that growth is inclusive.

**** Beyond Freedom Of Information Lies Open Data <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/beyond-freedom-of-information-lies-open-data/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

It does not surprise me that what we have is mimicry without any understanding at all of the substance; wanting (once again) to look like a modern, developed, liberal democratic country without letting go of authoritarian, control-freak habits.