[MyAppleMenu] Mar 3, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 3 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Hands On Photos With The iPad 2, Reader Questions Answered <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/03/hands-on-photos-with-the-ipad-2-reader-questions-answered.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

We were able to get some hands-on time with the new iPad 2 following Wednesday's announcement in San Francisco. Both the white and black versions were available to play with, as were the new magnet-enhanced iPad covers. We also managed to get answers to some of our reader questions about the device, though Apple wasn't willing to give up details on a few core curiosities.

**** The iPad's New Engine: The A5 Chip <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20038422-64.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Brooke Crothers, CNET

The iPad 2's A5 chip is sending a strong message to the competition: Apple is moving to dual-core processing power in a completely redesigned tablet but keeping the 10-hour battery life.

**** Apple Delays iOS 4.3 For CDMA Verizon iPhone <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/02/apple_delays_ios_4_3_for_cdma_verizon_iphone.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

Apple hasn't announced a date for the Verizon iPhone release version of iOS 4.3, but it is likely to follow shortly after the initial release for GSM iPhones because the new build packs a variety of features and improvements.

**** iTunes 10.2: More Than Just iPad 2 And iOS 4.3 Support <http://db.tidbits.com/article/12009?rss>
Kirk McElhearn, TidBITS

While the main reason for this update is to provide compatibility with the iPad 2 and iOS 4.3, both due on 11 March 2011, Apple has done some work under the hood. While changing preferences is relatively minor, some apparent minor speed enhancements are certainly a good thing for anyone with a large library.

**** Hands On With iPad 2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158307/2011/03/ipad2_hands_on.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Dan Moren, Macworld

It’s much more comfortable to hold the iPad 2 in one hand. The slight decrease in weight helps, no doubt, but it’s also the thinness—and most notably the fact that the back side of the device tapers to a flat surface in a much shorter distance than its predecessor.

**** Securing Data On Any Medium In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20038454-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

While there are numerous ways to lock drives and files, unless a file's contents are encrypted then the measures used to lock the data can be circumvented and the file's contents recovered. Because of this, the only way to truly guard data against recovery by unintended sources is to encrypt it.

**** How To Partition A Drive In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20038498-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

When setting up a hard drive or even after using one for a while, sometimes it is useful to partition it so sections of its space can be used for different purposes. These purposes can be to set up a multiboot environment, separating system files from user files, or for segmenting used data from scratch and backup disks. For instance, if you use a drive to back files up, it may be beneficial to create one large partition for Time Machine, and have a second partition be used for manual backups since Time Machine will eventually use most of the space on its partition.

**** Some Thoughts From The Classroom On iPad 2 <http://speirs.org/blog/2011/3/2/some-thoughts-from-the-classroom-on-ipad-2.html>
Fraser Speirs

**** Apple Digital AV Adapter Supports iPhone 4, iPod Touch (4G), And iPad <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/03/apples-digital-av-adapter-supports-iphone-4-ipod-touch-4g-ipad/>
Joe Wilcox, AppAdvice

Interestingly, the Apple Digital AV Adapter Steve Jobs announced on stage yesterday is compatible with more than just the iPad 2. In fact, once the accessory becomes available, you’ll be able to use it with your iPhone 4, iPod touch (4G), and both the iPad and iPad 2.

**** Change OS X System Fonts And More With TinkerTool <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20037856-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

Apple keeps more extensive configuration settings hidden to keep the OS more standardized, but you can access and modify them using a utility like TinkerTool.

**** iPads Bought In Last 2 Weeks Eligible For $100 Refund <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/03/ipads-bought-in-last-2-weeks-eligible-for-100-refund/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

**** Dr Seuss, Happy Birthday! Let's Say It Once More <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/mar/02/dr-seuss-happy-birthday-104?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Lindesay Irvine, The Guardian

Like generations of children I was weaned on his spry, jazzy tales, and now – when Uncle Lindesay steps up to put the kids to sleep with one of his famously thrilling bedtime stories – it's not just a nostalgic kick I'm getting out of the experience. They're still brilliant pieces of writing: as well as the mad imagination, the language turns over with a poise as sure as the lyrics of Cole Porter, and the reader rides his characteristic anapestic metric schemes with effortless glee. It still weaves a spell on the younglings, and many have understandably imitated it, but very few can make it swing like the Doctor.

**** More Initiatives Could Help Raise Fertility Rate <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110303-0000250/More-initiatives-could-help-raise-fertility-rate>
Esther Ng, Today

The Republic's wide-ranging measures to spur procreation came under scrutiny in Parliament yesterday, as some Members of Parliament cast doubt on their effectiveness and suggested additional initiatives.

**** 'All 87 Seats Likely To Be Contested' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110303-0000260/All-87-seats-likely-to-be-contested>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

It is "most likely" that all 87 seats will be contested - that is what Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA) acting secretary-general Mohd Nazem Suki told MediaCorp last night after chairing Round 1 of Opposition negotiations to avoid three-cornered fights.

The big surprise: Potong Pasir may see a three-cornered fight, with the news that incumbent Member of Parliament Chiam See Tong intends to pull out his Singapore People's Party from the SDA, which had included the ward in its line-up.

**** Two can disagree over GST and still get it right <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_640678.html>
Ong Chee Keong, Straits Times

The immediate benefit will be felt more than the indirect benefits in the form of tax rebates, which is exactly what this group of citizens need.

The government should review lowering the GST on daily essentials like food items which will help the needy, while the GST on non-essentials or luxury items should be maintained as they affect mainly the high-income group.

**** Worker's Hefty Bill Affects Company Too <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_640806.html>
Tan Suan Tiu, Straits Times

An employer may have to retrench staff if he is to help such a worker pay a hefty sum in medical charges. Or, he can let the worker fend for himself which will inevitably mean having to contend with an exhausted worker who tries to find other ways to pay off his hospital debt.

Why must the Ministry of Health's policy insist on the withdrawal of medical subsidies in work-related injuries? Businesses are taxpayers too.

**** Layered GST Rates Will Help Fight Inflation Better <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_640679.html>
Matthew Chua, Straits Times

Only with this layered tax rate system can we truly say that the poor have not been penalised by such an indirect tax.

**** From Toilets To Tap: How We Get Tap Water From Sewage <http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/environment/2011-03-03-1Apurewater03_CV_N.htm>
Kathy Chu, USA Today

It's an idea that many people find revolting. But, in Singapore at least, the nearly 5 million residents largely seem to have accepted it as necessary.

**** “拍卖”手法转售组屋合理吗? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110303_005.shtml>
杨松坚, 联合早报

数月来伴随亲人在女皇镇区寻找转售组屋。其间除发现该区组屋的COV(Cash Over Value,溢价)未见下降反而上升,更让人不解的是,在转售组屋交易中,不少房屋经纪应用了密集“兵团式”和“拍卖式”销售手法,让人怀疑此类行为是否推高了溢价。

年前女皇镇区组屋转售价中位数由58万多,到第四季度上升到61万多。

**** Migrant Workers Reveal Hidden Side To Singapore <http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/02/3152635.htm>
Katherine Pohl, ABC

Each year thousands of women from across Asia travel to Singapore in search of a better life. But for many of these women the experiences are life-changing in the worst way possible.

**** CSJ Asks For SDP V PAP Debate On Talking Point <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4650-csj-asks-for-sdp-v-pap-debate-on-talking-point>
Singapore Democratic Party

Just because you say that there is no attempt to discriminate against the SDP doesn't make it true. You need to demonstrate it.

**** Key Departure Reveals Deep Rifts Within Opposition Party <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/03/03/chiams-split-from-sda-reveals-rifts-within-opposition/>
Faris, Yahoo!

A key member of opposition party Singapore People’s Party (SPP), Desmond Lim Back Chuan, has resigned. Mr Lim was a protege of Mr Chiam for the last ten years, but the rift between the two has been widening since last year when the latter tried to bring the Reform Party (RP) into the alliance.

**** Mr Tony Tan And Team In Talks With SPP <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/breaking-news-mr-tony-tan-and-team-in-talks-with-spp/>
The Online Citizen

Mr Tony Tan Lay Thiam has confirmed with TOC that his team is in talks with Singapore People’s Party (SPP) about about a possible alliance for the coming elections.

**** 财政预算案辩论 维斯瓦:国民服役 不应只被视为法律责任 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110303_027.shtml>
联合早报

**** 反对党协调会议 秉持三大原则 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110303_004.shtml>
韩咏梅, 联合早报

虽然出席协调会议的政党代表都表示,大家是在和谐的气氛下完成分配,但是各政党在努力争取某个选区时,实力比较大的政党,或者个性比较强悍的领袖,是否有比较大的“说话权”?

**** 选前报道 反对党对80%选区分配达共识 将在周六开第二轮会议 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110303_003.shtml>
游润恬 魏瑜嶙, 联合早报

根据本报打探的结果,出现较多分歧的是新增设的单选区,这些单选区好多都有超过两个政党感兴趣,其中拉丁马士和黄埔,甚至有四个政党有意角逐。集选区方面,除了新设的摩绵—加冷集选区竞争比较激烈,其他的选区大致都有一定的共识。

这相信是反对党自数十年前召开协调会议以来,首次无法在一轮会议中达成共识。一名党领导人表示,或许是因为现在政党多,候选人也多了,所以有“选区不够分”的情况。

**** 尚达曼:并非所有物品价格都上涨 共享配套应付中低家庭通胀有余 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110303_001.shtml>
郭丽娟, 联合早报

尚达曼说明无论是育有两个孩子的低收入家庭还是三代同堂的中等收入家庭,他们透过“增长共享”配套所获得的款额都超出生活费的增幅。

**** I Have Had ‘More Than Required’ Of This. <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/03/03/i-have-had-more-than-required-of-this/>
Funny Little World

So once again the lower income level suffers, gritting their teeth and working longer and longer hours to scrape together enough to support their families, grateful for the money from the government but unable to touch it because most of it isn’t in the form of cash. The elderly will have to ignore their aching bones and go out to get jobs as cleaners and cardboard collectors to help their cash-strapped children. Meanwhile, senior civil servants not only find their pay increasing, but get a hefty bonus. The income and class divide widens a little more.

Just like a friend of mine pointed out: in other countries, governments take money secretly, siphoning it off bit by bit. In Singapore, our government takes our money openly.

**** GE 2011: Some GRCs May Go Uncontested <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/ge-2011-some-grcs-may-go-uncontested/>
The Online Citizen

TOC has confirmed that not all Group Representation Constituencies (GRC) may be contested in the coming General Election. The opposition parties showed little interest in contesting Marine Parade, Sembawang and Tanjong Pagar constituencies at last night’s opposition strategy meeting.

**** Re-emergence Of The Workers’ Party <http://antineodem.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/re-emergence-of-the-workers-party/>
The Anti Neo-Democracy Theorist

By eschewing internal fighting and downplaying personnel in favor of the WP’s brand-name, WP has emerged as a party of stability amidst criticisms against other political parties. More importantly, it knows how to turn up the heat to maximum effects.

**** Real World Salaries <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/03/real-world-salaries.html>
Singapore Notes

Teo failed to grasp Low's premise on performance: Home affairs ministers are supposed to keep terrorists safely locked up, ministers of environment are supposed to keep the streets flood-free, ministers of education are supposed to keep schools free from horny principals and teaching staff, ministers of defence are supposed to make sure helicopters don't drop from the sky, ministers of national development are supposed to provide affordable housing, etc. Guess which lot is still laughing all the way to the bank?

**** Whom Is A Fair Target For Political Criticism? <http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/whom-is-a-fair-target-for-political-criticism/#more-2793>
Furry Brown Dog

The ruling party and their apologists should not cry foul for being unfairly blamed for misdeeds and crimes of appointed civil servants and grassroots leaders if they do nothing to dispel the impression that grassroots organisations and the civil service are often called upon to serve barely concealed political ends. Political accusations of misconduct of grassroots leaders and civil servants are fair game in the political arena if they refuse to demarcate between the civil service, grassroots organisations on one hand and the ruling party on the other.

**** KTM Relocation Under Way <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1114111/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Minister for foreign affairs George Yeo said a schedule of implementation has been drawn up, adding that work on some aspects of the implementation has also started.

Other initiatives agreed between both sides in the Joint Statement of May 24, 2010 include the joint development of a rapid transit system link between JB and Singapore. It also includes Singapore's handing over the waterworks under the 1961 Water Agreement to the Johor authorities free of charge and in good working order on 31 August 2011.

**** What’s Wrong With 3-cornered Contests? <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/whats-wrong-with-3-cornered-contests/>
Yawning Bread

>From what I have seen, opposition parties are not interchangeable, and even if there are days when one is frustrated with the PAP, not all of the other parties are always preferable to the PAP.

Over the last few years I have argued on this site that opposition parties should rely less on anger against the PAP for votes and do more to articulate their convictions and policy directions. I have long said that so long as they rely on anti-PAP frustration, there is a ceiling — and a low one at that — to how many votes they will ever get.

**** Budget 2011: First-time Flat Buyers To Get More Help <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1114126/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

National development minister Mah Bow Tan said they can look forward to a larger supply of new flats, a shorter application process, and a revised income ceiling for three-room flats.

**** Bonus For Ministers, Peanuts For Most? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/bonus-for-some-peanuts-for-most/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

One of the primary reasons that caused the last global financial crisis in 2008/2009, was that decision makers in financial services were given incentives and huge bonuses to chase after profits, regardless of the risks.

By aligning senior civil servants’ pay to GDP growth, are we not in a way, going down the same path?

**** GST Fine The Way It Is, Says Tharman <http://bigtalksingapore.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/gst-fine-the-way-it-is-says-tharman/>
Big Talk Singapore

If it is not cost effective to cut GST for basis necessities, why not allow tax reclaim for these goods.

**** The Oppressive Goods And Services Tax (GST) <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/03/oppressive-goods-and-services-tax.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

Although the GST is not a major issue, it is significant enough for the opposition parties to highlight it in their hustings. The poorer section of the electorate will certainly be enamoured of the not illogical opposition arguments against the GST. Even the middle class and the rich will readily lend their ears to the opposition stand on this absorbing subject. The Government's stand on this issue has been expounded ad nauseam and there is unlikely to be any new line of argument in their defence.

**** The Reason For The Electoral Boundary Changes? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/the-reason-for-the-electoral-boundary-changes/>
Thoughts of a Cynical Investor

Life is full of unintended consequences. By introducing GRCS and reducing SMCs, the PAP forced the Opposition to get better organised, “They sow the wind and reap the whirlwind”.