[MyAppleMenu] Mar 2, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 2 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Cyberspace Gives iPhone, iPad Users Browsing Alternative <http://www.macworld.com/article/158212/2011/03/cyberspace.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Bill Snyder, CIO

Cyberspace is worth a look, particularly if sharing via social networks is a priority for you.

**** DropCopy 1.6.8 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158232/2011/03/dropcopy_168.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

DropCopy is a nifty utility that takes advantage of Mac OS X’s Bonjour technology to simplify transferring files between Macs on your local network.

**** Evernote App Improves Interface, Note-taking Capabilities <http://www.macworld.com/article/158235/2011/03/evernote.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

Evernote relaunched its popular note-collecting app for iPhone and iPad Tuesday, an overhaul that features a redesigned home screen and revamped note-taking capabilities.

**** Mac OS X Lion Features Hidden Tribute To Steve Jobs <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/01/mac-os-x-lion-features-hidden-tribute-to-steve-jobs/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

The icon for this new section is an image of filing drawer stuffed with documents and dividers. Zooming in on the documents within this icon, one can see writing that is taken from notable quotes delivered by Steve Jobs and Apple.

**** Thunderbolt Drives One External Monitor On MacBook Pro <http://db.tidbits.com/article/12000?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

**** First Look: Apple's Early 2011 13- And 15-inch MacBook Pros With Thunderbolt <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/01/first_look_apples_early_2011_13__and_15_inch_macbook_pros_with_thunderbolt.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

**** Insider Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Auto Save, File Versions And Time Machine <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/01/insider_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_auto_save_file_versions_and_time_machine.html>
AppleInsider

**** Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Dozens Of High Quality New Multilingual Speech Voices <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/02/inside_mac_os_x_10_7_lion_dozens_of_high_quality_new_multilingual_speech_voices.html>
AppleInsider

In addition to Leopard's current Alex voice from 2007 and the Vicki voice added to Mac OS X Panther in 2003 (and several previous, but fairly robotic-sounding speaking and novelty voices that have shipped on Macs since the late 80s), Lion will make available three new very high quality American English voices: Tom, Samantha and Jill.

**** Tips And Tricks For iMovie Transitions <http://www.macworld.com/article/157726/2011/03/imovietransitions.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jeff Carlson, Macworld

Using transitions in an iMovie project adds polish and often smoothes juxtapositions between clips—for example, a long Fade to Black transition can indicate the passage of time. iMovie ’11 offers 24 built-in transitions, and what seems like nearly as many ways to add and edit them to improve your movies.

**** Apple T&C Upsets Philanthropic Developers <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/02/apple_t_and_c/>
Bill Ray, The Register

Don't mention the earthquake.

**** Apple Reveals iPad 2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158109/2011/03/ipad2.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

The iPad 2 features an all-new design along with new features including built-in cameras and a new gyroscope. At the heart of the iPad 2 is a 1GHz dual-core Apple A5 processor, which should provide a boost over the 1GHz single-core Apple A4 in the first iPad.

**** Apple Previews iOS 4.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158264/2011/03/apple_previews_ios_43.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

iOS 4.3 promises improved Safari performance, wireless media streaming in the form of iTunes home sharing, AirPlay improvements, a Personal Hotspot option for the iPhone 4, and personal settings options for the iPad’s side-switch.

iOS 4.3 will be available as a free download from iTunes for the iPad, the GSM iPhone 4, and the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch on March 11.

**** iMovie For iOS Going Universal With New Features <http://www.macworld.com/article/158266/2011/03/imovie_ios_universal_ipad2.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jeff Porten, Macworld

iMovie for iOS brings over many advanced features from its Mac sibling, including a precision editor, multitrack audio recording, and full HD video support. In addition, the app has incorporated multitouch gestures, AirPlay support, social media sharing, three new themes, fifty sound effects, three background audio tracks, and direct video import from your device’s camera or from the camera roll.

**** Random House Books Come To Apple's iBookstore For iPad, iPhone <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/02/random_house_books_come_to_apples_ibookstore_for_ipad_iphone.html>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

**** Apple Announces Smart Covers For iPad <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/02/apple-announces-smart-covers-for-ipad/>
Megan Lavey, TUAW

The cover is more like a cover flap that leaves the back of the iPad exposed. It's held on by magnets, which are said to help auto-align the cover with the iPad. It has a microfiber lining that will clean the screen.

**** Steve Jobs Makes Public Appearance At Apple Event <http://www.macworld.com/article/158261/2011/03/march2event_stevejobs.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

“We’ve been working on this product a while, and I didn’t want to miss today,” Jobs told reporters.

**** Apple Announces GarageBand For iPad <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/02/apple-announces-garageband-for-ipad/>
Dave Caolo, TUAW

Available March 11th, this app puts the power of audio recording and editing on the sleek, portable iPad.

**** Hands-on With The iPad 2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158290/2011/03/ipad_2_hands_on_slideshow.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Apple Releases iTunes 10.2 For Compatibility With iOS 4.3 Devices <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/02/apple_releases_itunes_10_2_for_compatibility_with_ios_4_3_devices.html>
AppleInsider

Apple on Wednesday issued iTunes 10.2, bringing the ability to sync with devices running iOS 4.3 ahead of the operating system update's release, and also adding new Home Sharing features for iOS 4.3.

**** 3D Printers Create Edible Objects <http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2011/02/28/technology-3d-printers.html?ref=rss>
CBC

An engineering lab and a culinary school have teamed up to construct novel edible objects with 3D printers that use pureed foods in place of ink.

**** Advice To Writers: Skip The Scenery <http://www.salon.com/books/laura_miller/2011/03/01/description/index.html>
Laura Miller, Salon

Too much description of landscape and weather has ruined more than one literary novel.

**** A Chef’s Life, With Scars And All <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Hamilton.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Jeff Gordinier, New York Times

On the page and in the kitchen, Ms. Hamilton can be charming, tempestuous, persnickety, vulgar, poetic, provocative and mothering, sometimes all in the course of a single flurry of sentences. Whatever scars she has, she is not inclined to cover them.

Indeed, her menu at Prune could be seen as a companion memoir to “Blood, Bones & Butter,” with dishes that have their roots in her own life, from her freewheeling upbringing along the Delaware River in New Hope, Pa., to a borderline-starvation backpacking trip through Europe and Turkey. (Consider one Sunday brunch offering: the Youth Hostel Breakfast.)

**** Cherchez La Femme Fatale <http://www.obit-mag.com/articles/cherchez-la-femme-fatale>
Kevin Nance, Obit

And then she was gone. By the early 1950s, the femme fatale all but disappeared from the big screen, displaced by the politely swooning housewives of Douglas Sirk and, later, empowered ass-kickers like Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde.

**** The Sort Of Sad Death Of The Mercury Thermometer <http://www.slate.com/id/2258112/entry/2286868/?from=rss>
Sam Kean, Slate

Most people who have encountered mercury have done so after breaking a mercury thermometer. And many of us who saw the liquid balls of mercury scatter across a floor or countertop considered the element the most beautiful on the periodic table.

Those days have passed.

**** Parliament Snippets: Replies But Not Answers? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/parliament-snippets-replies-but-not-answers/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

I don’t think Non-Constituency MP Sylvia Lim’s question has been substantively answered, as there were no statistics given as to how many drugs are non-subsidised and whether they have increased in recent years.

**** Technical Fault Causes Disruption To NEL Services <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/03/02/technical-fault-causes-disruption-to-nel-services/>
Ion Danker, Yahoo!

**** Earth Defenders <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/earth-defenders/>
Yawning Bread

**** Instead Of Forming A Single Party, Agree On Straight Fights Against PAP <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_640317.html>
Kwan Jin Yao, Straits Times

Given the challenging roles and duties of opposition politicians, there should be competition between parties - in the form of leadership calibre, manifestoes and overall quality.

**** Disunity Is Obstructing An Effective By-election Strategy <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_640325.html>
Lim Jit Chaing, Straits Times

A by-election strategy is still relevant. However, with so many opposition parties and self-centred leaders, it is almost impossible now. One minor disagreement among opposition candidates would result in one of them joining or forming another political party.

**** PAP MP : Cutting GST Does Not Help The Poor.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/03/pap-mp-cutting-gst-does-not-help-poor.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

You know how far down the standard of debate has fallen when an MP stands up and argues that cutting the GST does not help the poor. GST is a regressive tax that penalises the poor the most because they spend most of their income. If you're Wee Cho Yaw or Peter Lim you spend maybe 2% of your income and invest the rest, so you pay 0.0014% of your income in GST. Why was GST implemented? Before our income gap ballooned to what it is today, the PAP govt openly admitted that the purpose of GST is to cut corporate tax and the income tax of high income earners.

**** Goh Meng Seng The Koyok Seller <http://www.raviphilemon.net/2011/03/goh-meng-seng-koyok-seller.html>
Ravi Philemon

Although first impressions may suggest that he is 'Ah Beng' or the Chinese neighbour next door, he is actually quite quick-witted and I am sure he will give the People's Action Party a good debate in parliament if he is elected in the next General Election.

**** PAP Ministers And MPs Flunk Economics 101 <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/03/01/pap-ministers-and-mps-flunk-economics-101/>
Edmund Khor, The Temasek Review

Singaporeans need to ask themselves: what is the point of having Oxbridge or Ivy League educated ministers and MPs when they are parsimonious with people on the true picture? And Singaporeans are not helped by an unthinking and unquestioning propagandistic mainstream news media.

**** Strange New Rule <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2011/03/strange-new-rule.html>
Musings From The Lion City

Why does the CPF think that just because a guy has a bus license, he is a self-employed? I know of many people who get a taxi or bus license as a “just in case” policy. They get it, they renew it, but they don’t use it. Are they ALL self-employed?

That’s insane! Why is the CPF making it so difficult for people to get Workfare, a scheme that isn’t really well-loved in the first place! Who in the CPF thought up this special insane new rule? The CPF should get rid of this new rule as well as the genius who thought it up.

**** 洪茂诚:加快市区外商业活动 鼓励国人用公交服务 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110302_030.shtml>
联合早报

衣食住行中,年轻人最关注的两个课题是交通和住房,其中拥车族的每年开销不小,丰加集选区议员洪茂诚希望政府通过加快市区以外的商业活动发展等措施,来鼓励更多国人使用公共交通服务。

**** 黄永宏暗示 碧山大巴窑阵容会改变 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110302_005.shtml>
王珏琪, 联合早报

碧山—大巴窑集选区议员,教育部长黄永宏医生暗示,这个集选区的五名议员,在下届大选中会有变化。

**** 人民党传明天正式退出民联 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110302_003.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

新加坡人民党已决定退出因党内去年闹内讧,而面临分裂的新加坡民主联盟。

据本报接到的可靠消息透露,波东巴西区议员詹时中已打算在明天以人民党秘书长身份,发信通知民联主席人民党退出民联的决定。

**** SDA Relieves Chiam Of Chairman Duties <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_640486.html>
Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times

Leaders of the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA) have relieved Potong Pasir MP Chiam See Tong of his duties as chairman of the opposition grouping, citing his frequent no-shows at its meetings.

**** Health Subsidy For Singapore Citizens <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/03/health-subsidy-for-singapore-citizens.html>
Tan Kin Lian

It is better for Singapore to have one system to provide for medical expenses, rather than a fragmented system with separate rules for for industrial and non-industrial accidents. We seem to have a culture of pushing responsibility from one ministry to another. Instead of finding ways to reduce cost for the nation, it seems that our civil servants are spending time to find out where to pass the buck. Can someone remind our ministers that they they belong to one government?

**** NS: What Are We Fighting For? <http://son-of-singapore.blogspot.com/2011/02/ns-what-are-we-fighting-for.html>
Son Of Singapore

We have suffered and we have endured much because we believed that we were fighting for something worthwhile. We have done much for this country that we thought was our home. But the stark reality is that to the government, we are little more than stupid cattle, to be herded and prodded to where they want us to go, ignoring our cries and pleads for answers and help. Instead we are thrown little baubles and trinkets and told to amuse ourselves with them until the final slaughter.

**** Giving Out With The Right Hand And Taking Back With The Left <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4615-giving-out-with-the-right-hand-and-taking-back-with-the-left>
Singapore Democratic Party

The final analysis is that while the PAP Government gives out $1,200-$1,600 to each household this year as Growth Dividends, it more than takes back with the GST collection of $2,160. And this does not take into account other monies that the Government collects through other means like the COE, ERP, HDB, etc.

**** New Electoral Boundaries – No Advantage For PAP? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/new-electoral-boundaries-no-advantage-for-pap/>
Anonymous, The Online Citizen

**** Gay Rights Activists Ask Six Political Parties To State Their Stand <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110302-0000449/Gay-rights-activists-ask-six-political-parties-to-state-their-stand>
Today

A group of gay rights activists have sent a joint letter to six political parties here, asking them to clarify their respective positions on several issues of interest to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) community.

In an online posting recently, the seven activists noted that none of the six political parties responded to their complete list of questions. However, three parties - National Solidarity Party (NSP), The Reform Party (RP) and Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) - "provided a reasonably clear outline of their stand with respect to LGBT concerns", the activists said. "The People's Action Party did not reply at all, nor even acknowledge the letter. The Singapore Democratic Alliance acknowledged the letter but in the end did not provide a reply," they added.

**** Why Did Class C Patient Have To Pay B2 Rates? <http://health.asiaone.com/Health/News/Story/A1Story20110302-266119.html>
Christopher Ng, My Paper

Hospital staff then told me that we could upgrade, but only the bed charges would remain as class C until he was transferred to the B2 room. The other services would be charged at B2 rates for his entire stay, including the time he spent in the transit area.

**** Joo Chiat Is Where “I Developed Many Meaningful Friendships” – Andrew Kuan <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/joo-chiat-where-i-developed-many-meaningful-friendships-andrew-kuan/>
Deborah Choo, The Online Citizen

Former president-hopeful Mr Andrew Kuan is contesting in Joo Chiat Single Member Constituency (SMC) because he wants to “serve the community in cherishing the Source of Blessings (饮水思源). ”

**** Budget Speech 2011 By Sylvia Lim <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2011/03/budget-speech-2011-by-sylvia-lim.html>
Sylvia Lim

**** 2 S-chips Suspended For Accounting Irregularities... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/03/2-s-chips-suspended-for-accounting.html>
Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

Tens of thousands of Singaporeans have been hurt by these scandals. Yet the authorities have not done anything to prevent these scandals from happening again....no board of inquiry,, no investigation, no lessons learnt, no shouldering of responsibility for this mess. Some of you have a resigned acceptance of this "you die, your business" govt.....I don't and I'm angry they are doing nothing about this and so many Singaporeans have been and will be hurt by all this.

**** SDA Says Chiam Is Pulling SPP Out Of Alliance <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1113966/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

A political observer said that under the SDA constitution, Mr Chiam remains an SDA member even though his party is no longer in the alliance. This is because the SDA constitution states that a member who is elected as an MP shall remain as an SDA member.

But the political observer pointed out that this clause infringes the Singapore Constitution and so Mr Chiam's position as an MP is in question.

**** <i>We</i>, The People Of Singapore…. <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/03/we-people-of-singapore.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

We are the people of this country and must decide what is good for this country and for us and our children. The election is for the people to elect who the people think can serve them better. Let’s make it happen.

**** Tampines Uncut <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/03/tampines-uncut.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

Tampines GRC is one of the few that were left practically unchanged in the redrawing of boundaries. Might as well since any redrawing does not give the PAP any advantage over the opposition, be it Tampines or anywhere else. However, Tampines presents a very interesting case for speculations given the opposition’s assessment that it is one of the very likely GRC to fall.

**** No Govt Intervention On Parental Care <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_640665.html>
Cai Haoxiang, Straits Times

The government has no plans to intervene directly on the issue of parental leave and prefers that workers iron it out with their employers and unions, the minister-in-charge of ageing issues said on Wednesday.

Mr Lim Boon Heng also turned down MPs' requests for more financial support for those who care for their elderly parents.

**** From Mee Siam To Chill Crabs <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/03/from-mee-siam-to-chill-crabs.html>
Singapore Notes

Not only is Goh decidedly blinkered about the shady aspect of gerrymandering, he is also hopeless about running a hawker stall. Ask any other streetwise chill crab operator - the business is all about location, location, location! But, hey, what does he know, he didn't start the family business, he was merely babysitting for the transition from mee siam to chilli crabs. Chilli crabs mai hum, anyone?

**** Stop Taking Potong Pasir Residents For Granted And Treating Us Like Dummies! <http://alvinology.com/2011/03/02/stop-taking-potong-pasir-residents-for-granted-and-treating-us-like-dummies/>
Alvinology

Chiam won because he is well-connected and well liked by the mature voters in Potong Pasir who is not easily swayed by carrots dangled by the ruling party, not because the residents here are dummies who will just vote for any Tom, Dick or Harry opposite party candidates.

I am very pissed that the way it is now, many election candidates seem to think that Potong Pasir residents are just a bunch of dumb, foolhardy kampong folks who will vote for anybody as long as he or she is not from the PAP. Do you really think so?

**** Man Who Said 'Burn' Minister Quits SDP <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_640670.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

Contacted on Wednesday, Mr Malik said he quit the SDP because of internal disagreements on 'matters of principle'.

**** GRCs Clearly Obstruct Singaporeans Ability To Vote And Contest <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/03/02/grcs-clearly-obstruct-singaporeans-ability-to-vote-and-contest/>
Zahara Abdullah, The Temasek Review

**** CNA Addresses SDP Complaint Over Talking Point <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1113982/1/.html>
Today

The episode of Talking Point, which CNA's vice president of corporate services Han Chuan Quee said had received encouraging feedback, was recorded less than 24 hours after the boundaries report was out. She also noted that there were "many considerations" in organizing such a forum - deciding on its duration, the size of the panel, working within a tight turnaround time as well as identifying relevant topics.

"For instance, one key point of discussion was how new single-member constituencies would affect plans and strategies of incumbent MPs and the parties contesting. The programme was not meant to be a comprehensive report card detailing the reaction of every single political party in Singapore. At the latest count, there are at least 11 active political parties," she said.

**** Budget 2011: Higher Pay For Civil Servants This Year <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1113962/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

Minister-in-Charge of the Civil Service, Teo Chee Hean, told Parliament on Wednesday that annual salaries will return to levels before the downturn in 2008. Senior officers will also get the maximum GDP Bonus this year, with some getting as much as eight months' pay.

**** GE 2011: ST Forum Writers Turn Opposition ‘Advisers’ <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/ge-2011-st-forum-writers-turn-opposition-advisers/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

**** GE: Opposition Parties Meet To Avoid Three-cornered Fights <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1113995/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's opposition parties said they have agreed on about 80 to 90 percent of seats to contest in the coming General Election. This comes after an inter-party meeting on Wednesday night to avoid three-cornered fights.

The parties also came to some resolution on what will happen in Potong Pasir after MP Chiam See Tong sent in a notice to withdraw his party from the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA).

**** 3 Corner Fight, Anyone? <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2011/03/3-corner-fight-anyone.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

No matter how we try to "differentiate" our "party branding" from each other, but there is still a substantial number of people who will view opposition as one big group.

**** The Need For Stable And Strong Party Leadership <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=5987>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Opposition supporters may be disappointed at what has happened in recent days, as this is a time not to show weakness, but to display unity and commonality of purpose, in order to fight credibly against the PAP.

To me, such events underscore once more the importance of stable party leadership. It is when elections are drawing near that the mettle of political parties is tested to the extreme. It is during times of stress, tension and excitement, that true colours are often revealed, and the good, the bad and the ugly are all put on display for the world to see.

**** A Need To Re-distribute GST? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110303-0000213/A-need-to-re-distribute-GST?>
Stamford Seah, Today

**** A Rebate Fund Is The Answer <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110303-0000214/A-rebate-fund-is-the-answer>
Tan Kok Tim, Today

Why ask the government to reduce the GST rate or have zero-rated GST for essential items when the simple solution is to ask the government to set up a specific GST rebate fund and give its commitment to refund the full GST every year to those earning below $1,000 a month?