[MyAppleMenu] Mar 4, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 4 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** What You Need To Know About The iPad 2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158310/2011/03/ipad_2_faq.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Macworld

**** Upgrade To MobileMe Calendar By 5 May 2011 <http://db.tidbits.com/article/12011?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

For most people, upgrading to the new MobileMe Calendar shouldn’t be a major fuss, and Apple has a MobileMe Calendar FAQ that provides links to instructions and covers most of the issues. However, there are some situations that require additional thought and effort ahead of time.

**** Labelbox Tags Your Photos In A Beautiful Way <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/03/labelbox-tags-your-photos-in-a-beautiful-way/>
Josh Helfferich, TUAW

A brand new app called Labelbox is taking the iOS App Store by storm this week, and for good reason. It does something simple - putting labels on photos - in an aesthetically pleasing and, really, quite fun way.

**** iOS 4.3, GarageBand, And iMovie: What You Need To Know <http://www.macworld.com/article/158314/2011/03/ios43_faq.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Macworld

**** Review: MacBook Pros (Early 2011) <http://www.macworld.com/article/157931/2011/03/early2011macbookpro.html#lsrc.rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

The new MacBook Pros offer a mix of improvements, familiarity and compromise. The CPU performance and battery life are much improved, and the graphics performance of the discrete Radeon HD 6750M in the 15- and 17-inch 2.2GHz Core i7 models was much faster than any MacBook Pro we’ve tested. There’s also the high data throughput of the new Thunderbolt port. The screen, weight, keyboard, speakers, and number of ports remain the same. As for compromises, there’s the integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor, which turned in results that are either slower or similar to the integrated graphics used in last year’s MacBook Pros. The discrete Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor in the 15-inch 2.0GHz Core i7 model performed similarly to the discrete graphics found in last year’s 15-inch models. And there aren’t any Thunderbolt peripherals available yet.

**** Twitter For iOS Is Garnished With The Debatable Quick Bar, Tidier Compose Tweet UI, And More <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/03/twitter-ios-undergoes-compose-tweet-ui-remodeling/>
Casey Tschida, AppAdvice

**** Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch (Thunderbolt) <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380921,00.asp>
Cisco Cheng, PC Magazine

As it stands, the Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch (Thunderbolt) is the fastest and fastest shipping laptop to date (you can stroll into Apple store and buy one as we speak), and it's all thanks to an Intel chipset glitch that prevented every other manufacturer from shipping their new laptops on time. Apple has assured me that this glitch will not affect any of the MacBook Pros, since they're all using new and unaffected chipsets from Intel.

**** Smart Covers <http://www.marco.org/3632267123>
Marco Arment

The iPad 2 with a Smart Cover will be approximately a 1.5-pound device that will cost $538 in pastel rubber or $568 in nice leather, looks a lot nicer, and can be removed from its case instantly and easily whenever convenient.

That’s about a 25% weight savings, a huge reduction in thickness, and a significantly better-looking and more versatile product in actual use.

**** Hurrah For World Book Night! <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8361211/Margaret-Atwood-Hurrah-for-World-Book-Night.html>
Margaret Atwood, Telegraph

But what is it that makes books things people love to give? Perhaps it’s because they’re so personal. “Tell me what you like and I will tell you who you are,” John Ruskin famously once said, and it’s true. We are what we eat, but we are also what we read.

**** Researchers: Apple To Patch Safari Before Pwn2Own <http://www.macworld.com/article/158352/2011/03/safari_pwn2own.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Apple will patch its Safari browser before the Pwn2Own hacking contest kicks off next week, security researchers hinted Thursday. If accurate, Apple will join both Google and Mozilla, which earlier this week issued security updates for Chrome and Firefox as preparation for Pwn2Own.

**** How To Sync iTunes Across All Your Computers With Dropbox <http://lifehacker.com/#!5715126/how-to-sync-itunes-across-all-your-computers-with-dropbox>
Adam Dachis, Lifehacker

If you run iTunes on multiple devices, chances are you've had trouble keeping your libraries in sync. Maybe you've even tried Dropbox but ran into syncing conflicts. Here's how to sync iTunes with Dropbox problem-free, on Windows or Mac.

**** Can Fiction Give Life To Childbirth? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/mar/03/fiction-life-childbirth?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Emily Cleaver, The Guardian

While I'm waiting to do so myself, nobody I speak to can tell me much about what giving birth is like. Do any novels capture the experience?

**** Why Couldn't I Quote Charlotte's Web On Stage? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog/2011/mar/03/charlottes-web-childrens-literature-death?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Lucy Caldwell, The Guardian

EB White's classic is a fine example of literature helping children deal with death. So why couldn't I use it in my new play?

**** Life Stories <http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article03021102.aspx>
Jessa Crispin, The Smart Set

Is it worth knowing about the lives philosophers led, or is their philosophy enough?

**** Broke Town, U.S.A. <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/magazine/06Muni-t.html?_r=1&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytimesbusiness&pagewanted=all>
Roger Lowenstein, New York Times

Vallejo, a city about 25 miles north of San Francisco, offers a sneak preview of what could be the latest version of economic disaster. When the foreclosure wave hit, local tax revenue evaporated. The city managers couldn’t make their budget and eliminated financing for the local museum, the symphony and the senior center. The city begged the public-employee unions for pay cuts — all to no avail. In May 2008, Vallejo filed for bankruptcy. The filing drew little national attention; most people were too busy watching banks fail to worry about cities. But while the banks have largely recovered, Vallejo is still in bankruptcy. The police force has shrunk from 153 officers to 92. Calls for any but the most serious crimes go unanswered. Residents who complain about prostitutes or vandals are told to fill out a form. Three of the city’s firehouses were closed. Last summer, a fire ravaged a house in one of the city’s better neighborhoods; one of the firetrucks came from another town, 15 miles away. Is this America’s future?

**** "The Birth Of Classical Europe": Does History Still Have A Place In A Wikipedia Age? <http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2011/03/03/the_birth_of_classical_europe_simon_price_peter_thonemann/index.html>
Jonathan Liu, Salon

"The Birth of Classical Europe" is an old-fashioned attempt to turn raw historical facts into a grand narrative.

**** Tharman’s Fishy Example About Foreigners Creating Jobs For Locals <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=5995>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Like many people, politicians from the PAP like Tharman often blur the line between unskilled and skilled labour. I do not deny we need unskilled labour in construction and in certain service sectors. But the example Tharman cited was clearly an example involving highly skilled foreign talents with very specialized knowledge. These Japanese consultants are not your run-of-the-mill PMETs. At the risk of repeating myself, Singapore DOES need such talents.

What Singapore does not need however, is for the Government to continually displace local workers from their jobs and keep their salaries artificially suppressed by importing foreigners who do not bring additional know-how or whose expertise can already easily be found in the our own citizens.

**** Third Bite Of The HDB Cherry, For Those Caught In The Middle? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110304-0000285/Third-bite-of-the-HDB-cherry,-for-those-caught-in-the-middle?>
Esther Ng, Today

Such households include those too poor to buy an HDB flat but who earn too much to qualify for rental housing, or those who sold off their flats and no longer qualify for subsidised loans.

Madam Ho Geok Choo (West Coast GRC) and Dr Ahmad Magad (Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC) called on the Government to offer this group of households a "third bite of the cherry" - subsidised loans tied to a longer minimum occupation period (MOP) of 10 years before they can sell their flats.

**** Lift GST On Medicines <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110304-0000251/Lift-GST-on-medicines>
Francis Zhan, Association Of Management Corporations In Singapore, Today

We understand some countries do not levy a sales tax or GST on medicines and medical services and suggest that the government consider this option.

**** A Hub Is Not A Home <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110304-0000246/A-hub-is-not-a-home>
Vinita Ramani, Today

For it to become one in the long run Singapore needs to closely examine its driving ethos and ask itself if, and how, it will give Singaporeans and residents a deeper stake in the country. Without this, we really are venturing into troubled waters.

**** Singapore Expresses Gratitude To M'sia For Helping Evacuate Its Citizens From Libya <http://www.mmail.com.my/content/65546-singapore-expresses-gratitude-msia-helping-evacuate-its-citizens-libya>
Bernama

Singapore today thanked Malaysia for helping to evacuate its citizens from Libya.

**** POA Settlement Opens New Chapter In Singapore-Malaysia Ties <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=568347>
Bernama

Malaysia and Singapore are set to open a new chapter in their bilateral relationships with the settlement of the Points of Agreement (POA), said Singapore's foreign minister George Yeo.

**** 新生婴儿的姓氏问题 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110304_006.shtml>
沈洁, 联合早报

希望政府能听到我们的心声,改一下这个法令,对提高出生率会有帮助。这也能体现新加坡对女性的公平性。

**** Turning 20, And Still Waiting For Call-up <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_641162.html>
Joseph Ng, Straits Times

Despite many calls to the Central Manpower Base, no one there has been able to tell us when he is slated for enlistment.

The time wasted in waiting for his enlistment could be better spent taking up a course, developing a skill, or working in a temporary job. Even worse is the uncertainty of when he will be enlisted. I do not need reasons, I need a date. Mindef owes it to the poor boy.

**** Unfair Demands On Opposition <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_641093.html>
Ravi Philemon, Straits Times

Advising the opposition to field effective candidates is ambiguous as one cannot tell if a candidate is effective until he has been given a chance to perform by being voted into Parliament.

To require opposition candidates to be like Workers' Party chairman Sylvia Lim is unreasonable as well, as there can be only one Sylvia Lim.

See also: Unfair Demands On Opposition [http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/unfair-demands-on-opposition/], The Online Citizen.

**** Apple MacBook Pro (13-Inch, 2011 Version) <http://computershopper.com/laptops/reviews/apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-2011-version>
Jonathan Rougeot, Computer Shopper

With its latest version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro, Apple leaves what was great about its line of laptops alone while making enough improvements to its core components to give it a dramatic performance boost. For the Mac-initiated who don’t demand a big screen, you simply can’t go wrong here.

**** Should We Be Grateful For The Scrapping Of The TV Licence? <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4648-should-we-be-grateful-for-the-scrapping-of-the-tv-licence>
Singapore Democratic Party

The reason Mr Tharman chose to do away with the RTV fee this time around is political. The PAP knows that, especially of late, resentment against it by the electorate has been building up. In order to assuage the problem, it abolishes a tax that has long made no sense and then trumpets the party's munificence.

To this end, Singaporeans must wise up and see through such shenanigan. Being grateful for removing the RTV licence is like thanking the guy for beating his wife only on weekends instead of everyday.

The PAP has no reason to levy this tax in the first place, it didn't for many years. Malaysia abandoned the fee more than 10 years ago.

**** GDP Bonus: Lots Of Dollar$ But No Sense <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/gdp-bonus-lots-of-dollar-but-no-sense/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

There is a moral issue in this obscene – lets call a spade a spade – eight-months bonus for ministers. Can you or should you enrich yourself in such a blatantly despicable manner when so many Singaporeans are still struggling to cope, when job security is no longer assured, when Singaporeans are told to brace themselves for record inflation this year, and when retirement is no longer something Singaporeans can look forward to with gladness? And when Singapore has the second highest income-inequality gap in the world?

Also, when the performance of the current government leaves much to be desired, as can be seen in its many failures of the last few years, is GDP growth the only yardstick which matters? After the elections, the government could very well import another million foreign workers. GDP growth would double to 30 per cent. And ministers could reward themselves with another eight months worth of bonuses.

**** 选前报道 何不挑战所有议席 轰轰烈烈干一场? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110304_008.shtml>
联合早报

一名不便透露身份的政党领袖说:“其实太多反对党人参选,反而对反对党不利。” 他坦白地表示本地的反对党目前还没到成立政府的阶段,选民反而会对反对党执政的可能性感到恐惧,本来准备投反对票的人,可能就不敢轻易这么做了。

其实别说能不能挑战全国议席,就算是目前已有反对党表示有意竞选的76个议席,也未必全都会掀开选战。这是因为按过去的经验,政党在跨党协商会议上“chope”(包)下的选区,往往都比它们在提名日正式派候选人参选的选区多。

**** 选前报道 罗文丽若代夫出征 波东巴西将陷三角战 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110304_007.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

波东巴西区可能出现三角战!新加坡人民党秘书长詹时中若不亲自留守这一区,代替他上阵的妻子罗文丽将有可能在那里受到新加坡民主联盟候选人的挑战。

这是自人民党前日正式退出民联后所传出的戏剧性发展。不过,民联到底是真的要跟仍是主席的詹时中的妻子打对台,还是只在放出烟雾弹,则有待众反对党本星期六举行分配选区的第二轮协商会议后分晓。

**** 选前报道 大本营交“娘子军”把守 刘程强詹时中转攻集选区? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110304_006.shtml>
郑景祥, 联合早报

波东巴西和后港这两个反对党的重镇在来届大选有可能都由女将出征,守住大本营,而原议员詹时中和刘程强则可能放手一搏,带队到集选区去“开疆辟土”。

波东巴西和后港自1984年和1991年以来就是詹时中和刘程强的地盘,人民行动党每届派候选人来收复失地都无功而返。这一届詹时中虽然已经廉颇老矣,但仍想在引退之前攻下一个集选区,一偿夙愿。一些分析家也认为刘程强羽翼已丰,除非他想一辈子留守后港,否则不在这时候率军竞选集选区更待何时?

**** Opposition Looks To Contest In All Constituencies <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/03/04/opposition-looks-to-contest-in-all-constituencies/>
Faris, Yahoo!

It is understood that there is at least one party staking claim in each of the 12 single-member constituencies (SMCs) and the 15 group representative constituencies (GRCs).

But work remains to be done to untangle the claims that a few parties have made to several newly-formed constituencies: Moulmein-Kallang GRC, and the single wards of Radin Mas, Pioneer, Whampoa and Punggol East.

**** SDA: Don’t Get Emotional, Don’t Have Blood On Yr Hands <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/sda-dont-get-emotional-dont-have-blood-on-yr-hands/>
Thoughts of a Cynical Investor

Let him try. Indulge him on the latter issue as you would your grandfather.

**** Tharman Shammugaratnam's Crowning Clown Moment <http://akikonomu.blogspot.com/2011/03/tharman-shammugaratnams-crowning-clown.html>
Illusio

Either finance minister Tharman Shammugaratnam is an economic illiterate and should be removed from his post forthwith, or the minister a glib discombobulator who thinks that Singaporean citizens and residents are economic illiterates and should be removed from his post forthwith.

**** Singapore’s Human Rights: Lame Excuses? <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/singapores-human-rights-lame-excuses/>
Spotlight On Singapore

**** All Animals Are Equal, But Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others <http://military-life.blogspot.com/2011/03/all-animals-are-equal-but-some-animals.html>
Military Life: Memoirs Of A Conscript In The Lion City

Female citizens and permanent residents as well as first generation male permanent residents are not subject to national service. Can we say something is equal when it is not applied universally regardless of sex and to some extent, nationality or residency status?

**** Water Deal Expiry No Impact On S'pore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1114371/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore government has once again reiterated that the expiry of the 1961 Water Agreement with Malaysia will have no impact on the Singapore's water supply and water tariffs.

Dr Yaacob said with the completion of Punggol and Serangoon Reservoirs by the end of the year, the country's water catchment would increase to two-thirds of Singapore's land area. The second desalination plant in Tuas, which would be ready in 2013, will add another 70 million gallons of water a day to the water supply.

**** Potential Roadblock For SPP-RP Alliance? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110304-0000281/Potential-roadblock-for-SPP-RP-alliance?>
Tanya Fong, Today

Former government scholars Tony Tan and Hazel Poa told MediaCorp in an email: "As it stands, we're still considering all our options, which do not include such an alliance with Mr Jeyaretnam."

MediaCorp understands that the couple are also in talks with other political parties, although a spokesperson for Mr Tan and Ms Poa declined to elaborate on their options.

**** Circus Bears And Other Thoughts From Hard Truths <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/circus-bears-and-other-thoughts-from-hard-truths/>
Yawning Bread

Lee is quite a different kind. His starting point is pragmatism. If anything, his authoritarianism is one that insists on the supremacy of the pragmatic over everything else. He is a realist and an uber-pragmatist. It has resulted in a place we call soulless and a population of economic rats.