[MyAppleMenu] Jun 2, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jun 2 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** GarageBand And iMovie For iPad Updated <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/01/garageband-and-imovie-for-ipad-updated/>
Chris Rawson, TUAW

**** School Replaces Books With iPads <http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0530/1224298059002.html>
John Fallon, Irish Times

**** How A Steve Jobs Blind Spot Is Costing Apple Tens Of Billions Of Dollars <http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/how-a-steve-jobs-blind-spot-is-costing-apple-tens-of-billions-of-dollars/>
Mike Cane

If Steve Jobs ever has his Lightbulb Moment about social, he’ll gut Twitter.

**** My Next Desktop System May Be A MacBook Air <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/my-next-desktop-system-may-be-a-macbook-air/2705?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ZDNetBlogs+%28ZDNet+All+Blogs%29>
James Kendrick, ZDNet

**** Tapjoy Says Apple’s Ban On Promos Is Killing Mobile Game Profits <http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/31/tapjoy-says-apples-ban-on-promos-is-killing-mobile-game-profits/>
Dean Takahashi, Venture Beat

**** Right Tools Unleash Creativity On An iPad <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/technology/personaltech/02basics.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

But with the right tools — and the ability to control the urge to play one last game of Angry Birds — the iPad can also be a hefty workhorse. Inexpensive apps and third-party peripherals make the iPad an excellent device for photographers, artists, writers and bloggers to create original content.

**** Apple Tries To Put The Kibosh On iPad And iPhone Giveaways <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/01/apple-tries-to-put-the-kibosh-on-ipad-and-iphone-giveaways/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+fortuneapple20+%28FORTUNE%3A+Apple+2.0%29>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

The two-page document that lists these guidelines -- and many more -- has been around at least since January, but it seems that Apple has begun reaching out to companies to enforce them only recently.

**** MacFans On Mac Plans - A Store Is Born <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10729697>
Mark Webster, New Zealand Herald

**** Obsessed With Mac Malware <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/02/obsessed-with-mac-malware/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

Believe it or not, the author of Ed Bott's Microsoft Report is doing Apple a favor.

**** On Google Chrome And Other Browsers <http://rc3.org/2011/06/02/on-google-chrome-and-other-browsers/>
Rafe Colburn, rc3.org

**** Is Apple Ready To Play Cat And Mouse With Malware Developers? <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/06/apple-malware-cat-and-mouse.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

If Apple can't take over for more traditional AV vendors and security researchers, though, iOS and the Mac App Store may provide clues to how Apple may deal with the malware problem in future versions of Mac OS X.

**** Apple Quashes Latest Version Of MacDefender <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20068321-37/apple-quashes-latest-version-of-macdefender/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Elinor Mills, CNET

Apple is updating Mac OS X Snow Leopard systems with protection against the latest variant of MacDefender, after criminals wrote a new version of MacDefender to circumvent the OS X malware detection added earlier this week.

**** The High Price Of The New Beijing <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/jun/23/high-price-new-beijing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Ian Johnson, New York Review Of Books

When I got to the end, I turned back and looked. Behind the new buildings were empty lots strewn with the rubble of demolished courtyard houses and stores. What had once been a warren of alleys and streets—one of the liveliest and most atmospheric in the city—was now mostly bulldozed. As I stood there, a couple walked by. In a heavy Beijing accent, the man asked the woman where they were. She replied, “Qianmen,” and he blurted out, “No way! How did it end up like this?”

**** Hooked On Meat <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/meat-why-bother/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Mark Bittman, New York Times

We can’t afford to wait to evolve.

**** The Great Night By Chris Adrian - Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/02/great-night-chris-adrian-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Patrick Ness, The Guardian

The most magical novelist you've never heard of.

**** George Yeo For President? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110602-0000059/George-Yeo-for-President?>
Ong Dai Lin And Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Today

As the window opened yesterday for the race for the Presidential Election to begin, former Foreign Minister George Yeo, 57, sprung a surprise by indicating that he could yet throw his hat into the ring - despite seemingly ruling out the option last month.

**** 'I've Kept To My Word', Says Potong Pasir MP <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110602-0000080/Ive-kept-to-my-word,-says-Potong-Pasir-MP>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

A dispute has broken out between the Singapore People's Party (SPP) and the People's Action Party Member of Parliament Sitoh Yih Pin over what was allegedly promised for the leadership transition at Potong Pasir Town Council.

Out of the 16 employees, three were retained in Potong Pasir Town Council. According to employees whom MediaCorp spoke to, the remaining 13 were issued termination letters.

**** Media Regulator To Singapore Pay TV Providers: Consider Al-Jazeera <http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/06/media-regulator-to-singapore-pay-tv.html>
Think Happiness

**** Singapore Crams In The Wealth <http://www.smh.com.au/world/singapore-crams-in-the-wealth-20110601-1fgnm.html>
Bloomberg

The number of million-dollar households in the world expanded by 12 per cent last year, led by Singapore, the Boston Consulting Group has said.

**** Is Asian Democracy In Crisis? <http://funwithgovernment.blogspot.com/2011/06/is-asian-democracy-in-crisis.html>
Nonoy Oplas, Government and Taxes

**** Career Options For Members Of Parliament <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/06/career-options-for-members-of.html>
Singapore Notes

**** 杨木光上网澄清“身兼65职” 不料人身攻击贴仍源源不绝 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110602_018.shtml>
周殊钦, 联合早报

没想到他的回复引来的除了一些令他感到安慰的积极回应之外,更多的是网民继续的猜疑和攻击,令他大感失望。

**** In Solidarity With Alan Shadrake <http://rachelzeng.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/in-solidarity-with-alan-shadrake/>
Rachel Zeng

Alan, thank you for showing your determination to stand up for the truth. Although you are being imprisoned for what you have written, the whole world is reading your book.

**** Sitoh Yihpin Not Keeping His Promise, Says SPP <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/sitoh-yihpin-not-keeping-his-promise-says-spp/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

The SPP is delivering a “request” letter to Mr Sitoh on 2 June to ask him to keep to his promise. In the letter, the party reminded him of what he had said to Mrs Chiam “in the morning of the day after General Elections”:

“Since you [Mrs Chiam] have raised this issue to me personally, I will keep all the staff at the Town Council. I will honor my words.”

**** 议员不宜身兼数职 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110602_005.shtml>
罗禅珠, 联合早报

廉政是执政党的“金字招牌”,既然,李总理连部长高薪这头“圣牛”都敢动刀,为什么偏偏留下一条尾巴?不要因为允许“议员担任私人挂牌公司的董事”而影响政治清明的程度。

**** 多个选后网络社群涌现 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110602_016.shtml>
王润, 联合早报

**** 想去美国最多 实选新加坡居前 <http://roll.sohu.com/20110602/n309111763.shtml>
袁旗, 汉网-投资时报

记者调查发现,当提出“如果有机会出国,最想去哪个国家读书”的问题时,超过七成的家长将“美国”两字脱口而出。但是,真正选择适合自己读书的国家时,超过半数的家长选择了新加坡,美国排在澳洲、英法和加拿大之后。

**** Kalla: Singapore The Safest Place For Indonesian Fugitives <http://www.theindonesiatoday.com/politics-headlines/10744-kalla-singapore-the-safest-place-for-indonesian-fugitives.html>
The Indonesia Today

Former vice president Jusuf Kalla said Singapore is one of the safest countries to hide for Indonesians with legal problems at home.

"Singapore is the safest, no extradition agreement, close to Indonesia and easier for communications," Kalla said today as quoted by Kompas.com.

**** Singaporeans High On The List Of Ecstasy Pill Buyers In JB Nightclubs <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/6/2/nation/8822899&sec=nation>
The Star

**** 新加坡更民主了吗? <http://cn.wsj.com/gb/20110602/ZTZ080217.asp?source=UpFeature>
张铁志, 华尔街日报

总的来说,在这次新加坡大选,选民更能无所畏惧地支持反对党,更能要求执政党为其执政负责,而且一个新的公共领域正在成形。反过来,执政党愿意提供更公平的政治竞技场,愿意接受他们开始失去选民信任的事实,并了解选民要求改变的心态。这确实是新加坡民主化的重要关口。

一个长久执政的政党必然会僵化与麻痹,而后逐渐失去民心还好,新加坡半成熟的选举机制,让政治竞争成为可能,并且让执政者知道:你不可能永远傲慢地掌握权力。

**** How Else Can We Deal With This? <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/06/02/how-else-can-we-deal-with-this/>
Funny Little World

**** Singapore Unions Propose Foreign Talent Limits, Labor Chief Says <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-06-02/singapore-unions-propose-foreign-talent-limits-labor-chief-says.html>
Andrea Tan And Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s labor unions have proposed ideas to limit the city’s overseas workforce, including quotas for so-called foreign talent, said Lim Swee Say, secretary-general of the National Trades Union Congress.