[MyAppleMenu] Jun 3, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 3 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple Releases WWDC 2011 App, Full Events Schedule <http://www.macworld.com/article/160258/2011/06/wwdc_2011_app_schedule.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

If you’re attending Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference next week, you’ll want to pick up the official conference app, released Thursday for both the iPhone and iPad, and check out new updated information on the WWDC Website.

**** Avast Launches Beta Of Free Antivirus For Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/160224/2011/06/avast_antivirus_beta.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Aayush Arya, Macworld

**** FastScripts 2.5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160256/2011/06/fastscripts_25.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

For those of us who count on AppleScript to increase our productivity, FastScripts is worth purchasing for its keyboard-shortcuts feature alone. And while the benefits of its other features may sound subtle, taken together, they really do make scripts more efficient and easier to use.

I use FastScripts everyday to automate little things like playing different playlists on my iTunes and logging in and out of different IM accounts. It's great!

**** How To Force Your Mac To Update Its Malware Definitions <http://www.macworld.com/article/160253/2011/06/force_mac_update_malware_definitions.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** FontGenius 2.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/159944/2011/06/fontgenius.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jay J. Nelson, Macworld

**** Apple's Other Eden: iOS <http://techland.time.com/2011/06/02/apples-other-eden-ios/>
Harry McCracken, Time

**** Adobe CEO Narayen: Feud With Apple Is Over <http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/06/02/adobe-ceo-narayen-feud-with-apple-is-over/?mod=google_news_blog>
Pui-Wing Tam, Wall Street Journal

On Thursday, Narayen said of the episode with Apple: “Yes, the argument is over from our point of view. ” He added, “We are so excited about opportunities we have. We’re focused on that.”

**** NYC’s Most Photographed Attraction: The 5th Ave Apple Store (Seriously) <http://blogs.forbes.com/marcbabej/2011/06/02/nycs-most-photographed-attraction-the-5th-ave-apple-store-seriously/>
Marc E. Babej, Forbes

**** Best, Shortest WWDC Tip Ever <http://inessential.com/2011/06/02/best_shortest_wwdc_tip_ever>
Brent Simmons, Inessential

“Remember every handshake.”

**** Guy Kawasaki To Keynote MacTech Conference 2011 <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/02/guy-kawasaki-to-keynote-mactech-conference-2011/>
Victor Agreda, Jr., TUAW

**** Pics Of WWDC Setup <http://t-gaap.com/2011/6/2/pics-of-wwdc-setup>
Three Guys And A Podcast

**** Apple's iPhone Ranks In Middle Of Pack For Radiation <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/03/apples_iphone_ranks_in_middle_of_pack_for_radiation.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

**** Apple Retail Commemorates 10th Anniversary With Emotive 1812-word Poster <http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/06/03/apple-retail-commemorates-10th-anniversary-with-emotive-1812-word-poster/>
The Next Web

Apple has introduced a new set of posters in staff areas in numerous Apple Stores, telling the story of the company’s ten years in retail, describing the ups and the downs, the highs and the lows.

**** iPads Replacing Note Pads As Asian Schools Go High-tech <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ilPmnNUTJ6oLwAvozTJWWY12U__g?docId=CNG.d8595bca5666c62acd2c4571b115f96d.451>
Simin Wang, AFP

Apple's iPad and other tablet computers are replacing traditional note pads in some Asian schools and making the lives of thousands of students a whole lot easier.

**** Apple Sees Tablets Soon Outpacing PCs <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20068599-37/apple-sees-tablets-soon-outpacing-pcs/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Lance Whitney, CNET

In a midweek meeting with Goldman Sachs analyst Bill Shope at Apple headquarters, chief operating officer Tim Cook said he "remained remarkably optimistic about the demand for the iPad and the long-term market opportunity for tablets."

**** A New York Staple, Korean Grocers Are Dwindling <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/nyregion/korean-grocers-a-new-york-fixture-are-on-the-decline.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Sam Dolnick, New York Times

For decades, Korean greengrocers have embodied a classic New York type — the immigrant entrepreneur — and become as much a staple of city life as the yellow cab and the pretzel vendor. Spike Lee and Jerry Seinfeld found early inspiration in them. The Rev. Al Sharpton led boycotts against them; Rudolph W. Giuliani’s first mayoral campaign used them as a key symbol.

Now, they are on the wane.

**** Are Artists Liars? <http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/ideas/ian-leslie/are-artists-liars?page=full>
Ian Leslie, More Intelligent Life

Both liars and artists refuse to accept the tyranny of reality. Both carefully craft stories that are worthy of belief—a skill requiring intellectual sophistication, emotional sensitivity and physical self-control (liars are writers and performers of their own work).

**** I Can't Keep All My Staff At The Town Council: Potong Pasir MP Sitoh <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110603-0000076/I-cant-keep-all-my-staff-at-the-town-council--Potong-Pasir-MP-Sitoh>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

Saying that he was not a "vengeful person", Mr Sitoh reiterated that he could not keep all 16 employees as he had to abide by EM Services' regulations, after bringing it in as the managing agent for the town council.

Don't use the word "can't", because we know it's not true. He can choose not to engage EM Services.

**** A Letter To Mr Sitoh Yihpin <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/a-letter-to-mr-sitoh-yihpin/>
Sophia Tsang, The Online Citizen

The human touch is what makes Potong Pasir so different from many other communities. While some are looking forward to the physical improvement of the estate, many others will be looking at how you treat your staff. If it is perceived that you cannot treat 16 people with compassion, how can the almost 50 per cent who voted for Lina trust you to have compassion for their struggles or to be their voice in parliament?

**** SDA Man Has Highest GE Expenses So Far <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110603-0000060/SDA-man-has-highest-GE-expenses-so-far>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

As political parties count the cost of their recent election campaigns, the highest amount that has emerged so far is that of the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA) candidate for Punggol East, Mr Desmond Lim - the only candidate to lose his S$16,000 election deposit.

**** Focus On HDB (Part 1): The More The Merrier? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/focus-on-hdb-part-1-the-more-the-merrier/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** PAP And PAY <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6921>
Wong Wee Nam, Sgpolitics.net

It is time we get our moral bearings right. This is even more important when a young generation had grown up thinking only of themselves.

It is, therefore, important our politicians lead the way.

**** An Old Icon Is Back In The Spotlight <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110603-0000048/An-old-icon-is-back-in-the-spotlight>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

Come August, the Kallang Theatre will come alive after a four-year hiatus with the ambitions of becoming a regional arts and culture hub.

**** Another Naked President? <http://thetwophilo.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/another-naked-president/>
Thetwophilo's Blog

**** Former NTUC Income Chief Running For President? <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1132943/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Former NTUC Income chief Mr Tan Kin Lian has sent his personal friend Mr Png Eng Huat to collect the forms for the certificate of eligibility for the Presidential Election.

**** 司徒宇斌承诺会重新聘用 波东巴西市镇会遭解雇职员 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110603_013.shtml>
李蕙心, 联合早报

波东巴西市镇理事会的13名职员上周五在市镇会被产业管理公司怡安产业(EM Services)接管后遭解雇,他们必须向公司申请才有机会获聘,该区议员司徒宇斌许诺,他们一定会被公司聘用,而新市镇会也会继续雇用另外三名职员。人民党发言人的方月光受访时表示,他认为司徒宇斌其实可以把员工的聘约直接转到怡安产业,而不是辞退他们,让他们重新申请工作。

**** The Potong Pasir Town Council Saga & The Broader Issue Of Transparency <http://article14.blogspot.com/2011/06/potong-pasir-town-council-saga-broader.html>
Article 14

**** What’s The Next Issue? <http://abdillahzamzuri.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/whats-the-next-issue/>
Abdillah Zamzuri

The question now is, how will new media be used post-elections since we have a new Minister at MICA, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim. What is his direction for media as a whole and what does he plan to do with new media to manage growing criticism of the PAP.

**** Awkward? You Don’t Know Awkward! <http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/awkward-you-dont-know-awkward/>
Political Writings

**** Sitoh: Not A Question Of “Can’t” <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/sitoh-not-a-question-of-cant/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

Last week it was Lim Wee Kiak who was saboing PM. This week it is Sitoh. Whether their saboing is intentional or accidental is irrelevant. They are damaging the message that the PM is putting across: that the PAP is listening to our concerns and will do something.

**** Religion Creeping Into Singapore Politics? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/06/religion-creeping-into-singapore-politics/>
Perry Tan, The Online Citizen

Are PAP politicians starting to use religion to build political capital for themselves, and to bludgeon their political opponents? Is this the emergence of a brand of right-wing, faith-based politics that is similar to the Republican Party’s purposeful cultivation of its conservative Christian base by advocating right-wing ideologies?

**** PM Lee Open-minded And Sincere About Change, Says Tan Kin Lian <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1132998/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Indonesia Must Push Singapore To Sign Extradition Treaty <http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/indonesia-must-push-singapore-to-sign-extradition-treaty/444799>
The Jakarta Globe

Constitutional Court Chief Justice Mahfud M.D. on Friday said the government should push Singapore to sign an extradition treaty by making the treaty a requirement for the bilateral relationship between the two countries to continue.