[MyAppleMenu] Jun 1, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 1 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** iWorking On The iPhone Compared To The iPad <http://gigaom.com/apple/iworking-on-the-iphone-compared-to-the-ipad/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

With only a subtle few exceptions of a missing ruler, or hidden button, each App appears to support all of the same features and functionality on both the iPhone as well as the iPad. The two implementations are practically indistinguishable from one another, and while the smaller screen of the iPhone means you’ll probably want to use iWork on the iPhone or iPod touch mostly for making small changes, it’s still a very welcome update.

**** Why Did Apple Pre-Announce Its Announcement? <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/why-did-apple-pre-announce-its-announcement/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

**** Lodsys Sues Developers Over Patent Infringement <http://www.macworld.com/article/160196/2011/05/lodsys_sues_developers.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

If you thought that the news that Apple was backing its iOS developers would scare off the patent-infringement allegations of intellectual property firm Lodsys, think again. On Tuesday, Lodsys filed suit against seven developers for patent infringement in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas. The company also once again took to its Website to clarify its position and restate its earlier claims.

**** Google’s Eric Schmidt: We Just Renewed Maps Partnership With Apple <http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/31/googles-eric-schmidt-we-just-renewed-maps-partnership-with-apple/>
Jason Kincaid, TechCrunch

Today during a keynote interview at AllThingsD’s D9, Google executive chairman (and former longtime CEO) made a key announcement: Google has recently renewed its partnership with Apple over mapping and search. In other words, don’t look for a new version of Maps on iOS at next month’s WWDC.

**** Google’s Eric Schmidt: If You Care About Security, Get A Mac, Not A PC. <http://thenextweb.com/google/2011/06/01/schmidt-if-you-care-about-security-get-a-mac-not-a-pc/>
The Next Web

**** How To: Share iCal Calendars Without MobileMe <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/01/how-to-share-ical-calendars-without-mobileme/>
Mike Schramm, TUAW

**** MindManager Upgrades On Mac, Debuts On iOS <http://www.macworld.com/article/160195/2011/06/mindmanager_ios_mac_upgrade.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Miller, Macworld

MindJet is releasing an upgrade to MindManager, its signature mind-mapping program for the Mac. More importantly, the company is also readying the first iOS versions of the app.

**** Two Great Distraction-free Writing Apps For iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/160204/2011/06/distraction_free_writing.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Robert Strohmeyer, PCWorld

**** MacBundler 6 Offers 11 Mac Apps For One Low Price <http://www.macworld.com/article/160222/2011/06/macbundler_6.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Aayush Arya, Macworld

**** Mac Scareware Gang Evades Apple's New Anti-malware Defenses <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9217210/Mac_scareware_gang_evades_Apple_s_new_anti_malware_defenses?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F123+%28Computerworld+Mac+OS+News%29>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

The gang responsible for a month-long plague of fake Mac security software has already updated their "scareware" to evade defenses Apple put in place late Tuesday, a security company confirmed today.

**** The Social Animal By David Brooks – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/01/social-animal-david-brooks-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Andy Beckett, The Guardian

In some ways, the book's most original and powerful passages are not about success but about its costs.

**** Changing Times <http://benjamincheah.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/changing-times/>
Benjamin Cheah

The government and the people see things differently. But ‘different’ is not automatically bad.

**** Singaporeans All For Inclusive Growth <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_674754.html>
Tan Jiaqi, Straits Times

We must accept only the kinds of economic growth that better the long-term economic productivity of Singaporeans. It is not that Singaporeans do not want economic growth. Rather, we want sustainable growth that betters our prospects.

**** ERP Is A Penalty, Not A Purchase <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/2011/06/01/IM021029508/>
Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

Paying for ERP [http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110601-0000033/Reduce-ERP-rates-if-there-is-road-work] is like paying for a stay in a hotel? Nonsense!

Look, when you pay ERP, you are not paying for a service. The Singapore government is not promising you that if you pay ERP, you'll get a smooth ride.

Rather, ERP is a penalty. You pay ERP because you are contributing to congestion and pollution.

Hence, if there are roadworks on a major road that reduces the capacity of that road, the ERP rate should instead go higher, not lower.

If Singapore motorists want a guaranteed smooth ride through the expressways and main trunk roads, one (or both?) of two things will need to happen:

1. The ERP rate will go much much higher so that it will be prohibitive for the majority motorists to drive on these roads, so that the very small minority of road users that can afford to pay will get a smooth ride; or

2. There will be controls at the entrance of these roads to limit the actual number of vehicles entering so that the maximum capacity for a smooth ride is not reached.

I doubt if many motorists will want a guaranteed smooth ride.

**** Apply New Ceiling Retrospectively <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110601-0000028/Apply-new-ceiling-retrospectively>
Alvin Eng, Today

**** Tin Pei Ling Resigns From Ernst & Young <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1132476/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

The 27-year-old, who was the youngest PAP candidate fielded at the General Election, said she wants to focus on her responsibilities in MacPherson and Marine Parade GRC.

**** A Need For Cooling Period After Nomination Day <http://blog.dk.sg/2011/06/01/a-need-for-cooling-period-after-nomination-day/>
Dee Kay Dot As Gee

**** A Decade Of Failed Public Housing Policies <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/06/decade-of-failed-public-housing.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

Could the victims of the decade of misguided public housing policies find recourse or reprieve in some way with new policies that will recognize their plight?

**** 选区变天 看板没变脸 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110601_007.shtml>
郑景祥, 联合早报

新当选的波东巴西议员司徒宇斌透露,他刚刚在上个星期五接管市镇理事会,这些告示和看板需要时间撤换,但他很快就会着手进行。“至于波东巴西入口处的巨型看板,我已经有别的计划,等时机到了我会对外公布要怎么处置。”

**** MP Yeo Replies On His 64 "Affiliations" <http://singstatistician.blogspot.com/2011/06/mp-yeo-replies-on-his-64-affiliations.html>
Thoughts Of A Singapore Statistician

"I wish to emphasise that the many roles listed in the article should not be taken out of context. They represent my affiliations and networks and are episodic in nature. I am fully committed to my duties as an MP, as a union leader and as a consumer advocate. I believe that these affiliations and networks should be seen as my attempts to connect with the many good people and organisations that have and are doing their part to better the lives of Singaporeans."

**** British Author Starts Singapore Jail Term <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hABn4_yHJhQ60CwKzfqz2q5Nashg?docId=CNG.9e4977e7a1dedbfd01785d2d4b7cb668.641>
AFP

"I feel fine. I feel that Singapore has shamed itself again by jailing me," Shadrake told AFP by telephone.

"For Singapore not to allow this free expression, to jail someone for their opinions... it's bloody nonsense," added the author of "Once A Jolly Hangman: Singapore Justice in the Dock".

**** PAP Appoints Khaw Boon Wan As Chairman <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1132529/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's national development minister Khaw Boon Wan has been appointed chairman of the ruling People's Action Party's new central executive committee (CEC) on Wednesday. He took over from Mr Lim Boon Heng, who remains a member of the CEC.

**** NTUC To Focus On Better Employment For Singaporeans <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1132516/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** PM Lee Says S'pore Must Study Nuclear Option <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1132609/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

Prime minister Lee said: "We need to understand it, because I think this is something which will not go away. And even if we don't do nuclear energy, our neighbours will do nuclear energy, and we need to understand the implications for us."

**** Singapore Says Lagarde Highly Qualified To Head IMF <http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/business/news/article_1642870.php/Singapore-says-Lagarde-highly-qualified-to-head-IMF>
DPA

Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong on Wednesday said French finance minister Christine Lagarde was highly qualified to head the International Monetary Fund (IMF), but the city-state had not yet decided which candidate to support.