[MyAppleMenu] Feb 8, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 8 18:59:01 EST 2011

**** SketchBook Express <http://www.laptopmag.com/review/software/sketchbook-express.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LaptopMagazineNews+%28LAPTOP+Magazine+-+The+Pulse+of+Mobile+Technology%29>
Meghan McDonough, Laptop Magazine

**** In-app Purchases In iPad, iPhone, iPod Kids' Games Touch Off Parental Firestorm <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020706073.html?wprss=rss_technology>
Cecilia Kang, Washington Post

Over the winter break from school, 8-year-old Madison worked to dress up her simple mushroom home on the iPhone game Smurfs' Village. In doing so, she also amassed a $1,400 bill from Apple.

**** Skitch 1.0.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/157710/2011/02/skitch_review.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

Whether I need to share a quick screenshot with a vendor's tech-support rep, crop a photo for a Macworld story, or make a lame attempt at a Cheezburger submission, I've found Skitch to be perhaps the fastest and most frictionless way to capture, annotate, and share photos and screenshots.

**** How To Dial Your iPhone From A Mac And Why <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/how-to-dial-your-iphone-from-a-mac-and-why>
Alexis Kayhill, Mac360

**** Vicinno's Scientific Calculator Released For The iPad, Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/157739/2011/02/vicinno.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Danny Gallagher, Macworld

If you’re one of the .000001 percent of modern society who is still calculating your hyperbolic and inverse hyperbolic trig functions with a plastic hunk of mathematics’ past, Vicinno Soft can help you join the rest of the 21st century with its 15C Scientific Calculator app, now available in the Mac and iPad App Stores.

**** Google Continues iPhone Releases With Google Translate <http://www.macworld.com/article/157746/2011/02/google_translate_iphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

Google Translate allows you to speak a word or phrase in one language and see or hear the result in another.

**** One Week After Its Debut, The Daily Gets An Update <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/02/week-debut-daily-update/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Bryan Wolfe, AppAdvice

Just a week after its splashy debut, Rupert Murdoch’s The Daily app for the iPad has received an update. While the update itself contains little more than bug fixes, how to install it is worth noting.

**** Railroad Ties <http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article02071101.aspx>
Paula Marantz Cohen, The Smart Set

The power of the model railroad.

**** Viewing Conditions: On Jonathan Rosenbaum <http://www.thenation.com/article/158246/viewing-conditions-jonathan-rosenbaum>
Akiva Gottlieb, The Nation

Presumably each of my faceless co-conspirators would have shelled out $20 to see the movie projected at the New York Film Festival, had we not been trapped in the hinterlands by the exigencies of fate. This is all to say that Susan Sontag, consummate Manhattanite, had it wrong in her 1996 essay “The Decay of Cinema”: “Perhaps it is not cinema that has ended but only cinephilia.” If the ardor of film culture were dead, movie piracy wouldn’t matter.

**** Culinary Comfort In A Tumultuous Middle East <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/books/07book.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

As Annia Ciezadlo writes in her winsome new memoir, “Day of Honey,” people flocked to Arabic restaurants as if to say, “Look, we trust you, we’re eating your food.” Newspapers ran photographs of immigrants holding platters of appetizers, she writes, “their eyes beseeching, ‘Don’t deport me! Have some hummus!’ ”

**** Pain I Did Not <http://www.slate.com/id/2284237/?from=rss>
Sharon Olds, Slate

**** What Is Singlish Arh? <http://global21online.org/blog/2011/02/05/what-is-singlish-arh/>
Ian Tan And Karen Lee, The Perspectivist

**** Why Baby Bonus Falls Short <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110208-0000156/Why-Baby-Bonus-falls-short>
Raymund Koh Joo Guan, Today

The government must look into the housing, transport, education and medical aspects of the issue.

**** 竞争压力大 20咖啡店同处经营 仅一家咖啡茶涨价 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110208_006.shtml>
王润, 联合早报

消费者协会主席杨木光也表示,咖啡店业者不应“借此机会一窝蜂涨价”。

**** Some Coffee Shops Won't Lower Prices <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_632457.html>
Jamie Ee Wen Wei, Straits Times

Most coffee shops raised the price of hot drinks by 10 to 20 cents over Chinese New Year, but some are making the increase permanent.

**** Dr M: Kuan Yew Just A ‘Mayor’ <http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/dr-m-kuan-yew-just-a-mayor/>
Shannon Teoh, The Malaysian Insider

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad dismissed in a recent book Lee Kuan Yew’s achievements as the founding father of Singapore, and accused the island republic’s minister mentor of once wanting to be prime minister of Malaysia.

In the book, he also recounted an event that sealed poor relations between the two, stating that he was annoyed that he “was not treated as the leader of a country” when he visited Singapore as prime minister.

**** Lee Kuan Yew's Chinese Excellence And Malay Paradox <http://hantulautan.blogspot.com/2011/02/lee-kuan-yews-chinese-excellence-and.html>
Hantu Laut

**** Plans To Help Single Low-wage Caregivers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1109448/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

**** CNA Picks Up PCF Story But Censors SDP <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4574-cna-picks-up-pcf-story-but-censors-sdp>
Singapore Democratic Party

It is more than just professional courtesy that news organisations acknowledge sources of information; it is important that the public understands the role that the opposition plays in society, one of which is to lookout for the public. With this kind of censorship and news blackout, Singaporeans continue to be kept in the dark about the effective role of the SDP.

**** Chinese New Year Pumps Up Prostitution In Singapore <http://www.sify.com/news/chinese-new-year-pumps-up-prostitution-in-singapore-news-international-lchoahddfjb.html>
Sify

**** HMV (His Mentor's Voice) <http://anaksihamid.blogspot.com/2011/02/hmv-his-mentors-voice.html>
Anak Si Hamid

Despite his attempts to re-sinify himself (and the Chinese) , LKY is essentially an Anglophile - in his education, politics and economics. When he took on the Malays to be less Islamic because they get in the way of 'integration' he is singing from the same hymn book as David Cameron and the leaders of Europe to manipulate and master Muslims into their mould.

**** “Asian Values”: A Credible Alternative To A Universal Conception Of Human Rights <http://ibamedialaw.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/“asian-values”-a-credible-alternative-to-a-universal-conception-of-human-rights/>
Media Law And Freedom Of Expression Blog

The universal and fundamental nature of human rights is the founding principle on which the United Nations was built: the right to freedom of expression must be guaranteed, “Asian Values” notwithstanding.

**** PCF To Explore Collective Response To Late Parents <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1109495/1/.html>
Qiuyi Tan, Channel NewsAsia

The PAP Community Foundation (PCF) has said it is looking for a common response for all its kindergartens to follow to counter the problem of parents who pick up their children late.

**** More People Borrowing Money <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1109500/1/.html>
Alvina Soh, Channel NewsAsia

Moneylenders' Association of Singapore president David Poh said the association has seen about a 40 per cent jump in the number of loans offered.