[MyAppleMenu] Feb 7, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 7 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Ideas From Everyone Fuel Griffin Technology <http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110206/BUSINESS01/102060342/2047/SPORTS04/Ideas-from-everyone-fuel-Griffin-Technology?odyssey=nav%7Chead>
The Tennessean

"There's a real tradition (in our company) that the ideas come from everyone. Everyone's using iPads and before that iPods and iPhones, so no matter if they're engineers or marketers or whatever, they're using these devices and they come up with ideas. And anything that is a good idea will have its day."

**** How To Put A Kid’s Coloring Book On Your Mac <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/how-to-put-a-kids-coloring-book-on-your-mac>
Alexis Kayhill, Mac360

**** Canned Review <http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=810432&lsrc=rss_main>
Beau Colburn, Macworld

Do you find yourself sending the same SMS messages to people over and over? Maybe it’s a quick note telling your wife you’re running late or a group message to a group of pals about where to watch the game. If so, Sky Balloon’s Canned may be very helpful.

**** Things Review (Mac OS X) <http://www.zath.co.uk/things-review-mac-os-x/>
Zath

**** Verizon iPhone 101: What New Owners Need To Know To Get Started <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/07/verizon-iphone-101-what-new-owners-need-to-know-to-get-started/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

**** iPad Security: How A Hospital Group Treated Trouble <http://www.macworld.com/article/157712/2011/02/doctors_ipad.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Tom Kaneshige, CIO

Doctors have fallen in love with the Apple iPad, becoming one of the biggest early adopters among professionals. They want iPads for personal use and to get their work done. It’s the latter that has healthcare IT staff scrambling to secure the devices.

The problem is that the iPad’s consumer-driven origins come into direct conflict with the nature of healthcare—namely, patient confidentiality and reliance on a few critical client-server apps.

**** Change The Name Of Keyboard Layouts <http://www.macworld.com/article/157698/2011/02/changekeyboardlayoutnames.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Daniel Beck, Macworld

**** Mailplane 2.3 <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11953?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Startup Boasts Better Lithium Batteries <http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/32265/?ref=rss>
Josie Garthwaite, Technology Review

A California company called Envia Systems is developing a battery that promises to store twice the energy of lithium-ion batteries—the kind typically used in hybrid electric cars.

**** Book Review: 'Reality Is Broken' <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-jane-mcgonigal-20110206,0,438142.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Janice P. Nimura, Los Angeles Times

Instead of dismissing games as frivolous entertainment or trying to unplug our children, we should take a close look at what games provide and figure out how to make reality as exciting and rewarding — as "gameful" — as the virtual world.

**** Lost And Gone Forever <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/lost-and-gone-forever/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Richard Conniff, New York Times

The terrible notion that a piece of God’s creation could be swept off the face of the Earth only became a reality on January 21, 1796, and it was a body blow to Western orthodoxy.

**** Do Business Breakfasts Work For You? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/feb/07/business-breakfast-lunch>
James Ramsden, The Guardian

Is it just me or is this business breakfast malarkey suddenly starting to make sense?

**** The Apostate <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all>
Lawrence Wright, New Yorker

Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology.

**** For The Love Of Books <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110207-0000084/For-the-love-of-books>
Preeti Athavle, Today

**** Hope For Singapore <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=1108>
Insane Poly

I for one do not take racial harmony, nor stability nor singapore for granted and that is why I speak up and will continue to speak up. Taking things for granted is sitting comfortable in one’s home pretending everything is okay. So I find it ironic that the writer takes issues with people for taking things for granted when it is he who is the one comfortably ensconced in his own precious little world that is taking things for granted.

One thing I do agree with the writer is that LKY’s latest book is indeed a clarion call. It is a clarion call to every thinking singaporean that the times have left LKY behind. It is a clarion call to us that LKY and his backward socially regressive thinking is not longer good for the country.

**** Property Prices Will Hop-a-long <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/property-prices-will-hop-a-long/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** 多数咖啡店今起调高咖啡茶价格 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110207_001.shtml>
李蕙心, 联合早报

咖啡、茶、白糖等原料价格一直上涨,不少咖啡店业者计划在新年假期后调高饮料收费。共有超过700个会员的琼侨咖啡酒餐商公会和新加坡福州咖啡酒餐商公会,在昨天的新春团拜活动上,公开表示支持会员调高咖啡、茶等冲泡的热饮收费。

**** 执政党反对党 料为房价唇枪舌剑 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110207_021.shtml>
吴淑贤, 联合早报

反对党已瞄准居高不下的房价,准备以此作为竞选课题之一,而身经百战的国家发展部长马宝山也准备应战。一场环绕房价的唇枪舌剑已酝酿多时,正待大选时一触即发。

**** The Carefully Avoided Issues In A Tiny Jetstar Asia Profit <http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2011/02/07/the-carefully-avoided-issues-in-a-tiny-jetstar-asia-profit/>
Ben Sandilands, Crikey

But this is how Qantas has turned what on paper is a majority Singapore owned and controlled Jetstar franchise into an airline that the government of Singapore now recognises as a national flag carrier for the purpose of negotiating bilateral access with other sovereign states.

**** US Interests And The PAP <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/vantage/4568-us-interests-and-the-pap>
Chee Soon Juan, Singapore Democratic Party

The truth is that through the decades that it has been in power, the PAP has relied on the West – first the British government and now the US – to prop up its undemocratic rule. For the past five decades, Singaporeans have had no free and fair elections, citizens live in fear of being detained without trial or made bankrupt thorugh lawsuits, and lived without a free media.

**** How Long Must Caregivers Suffer Before The Government Acts? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/02/how-long-must-caregivers-suffer-before-the-government-acts/>
Raymond Anthony Fernando, The Online Citizen

Singapore has done well in meeting the basic needs of its citizens such as a good education system, health and housing needs, and a safe and clean environment. However, there is still an urgent and dire need to facilitate the inclusion of our marginalised communities who do not have the same sense of belonging in a society that is focused on economic excellence.

**** Dr M Pushes Johor Umno To Revive Crooked Bridge <http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/dr-m-pushes-johor-umno-to-revive-crooked-bridge/>
Shannon Teoh, The Malaysian Insider

Although there is no sign that Dr Mahathir will succeed in getting Johor Umno to challenge Najib’s stand, it is clear that any referendum or agitation will be uncomfortable for the prime minister.

**** Slow Take-up For Build-To-Order Flats At Yishun <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_632202.html>
Cheryl Ong, Straits Times

The two projects at Yishun, featuring 1,548 flats ranging from 2-room to 5-room units, got 1.8 times as many applicants as there were flats on offer. The 2-room units were the only ones that were undersubscribed, with just 132 applicants for the 192 units available.

**** Values For Power <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/values-for-power/>
Yawning Bread

In short, it’s like this: the PAP’s social conservatism may seem inconsistent when viewed through the Western lens. But it’s the wrong lens to use, because unlike in the West, power is the means to effectuate values, in Singapore it is the other way around: Values are mere tools to sustain power. And (some) tools can be changed to suit needs and circumstances. But don’t ever question the PAP’s right to be the wielder of tools.

**** Pay More For SMRT's Late Night Bus Services <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_632244.html>
Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times

Public transport operator SMRT has raised the fare of all seven of its special late night bus services from $3.50 to $4.

Some analysts say raising the fare of special late night bus services could be a way for transport companies to meet rising operating costs before the annual fare adjustment is approved, in addition to increasing rental rates for shop space in MRT stations.

**** Singapore's Hawker Centres: Masters Of The Stir-fry <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/singapore/8308488/Singapores-hawker-centres-masters-of-the-stir-fry.html>
Mark Rowe, The Telegraph

Singapore’s hawker centres amount to a culinary fantasy land for British travellers. We all like a curry or a Chinese takeaway – well, here they are, under one roof, served in warm weather, cheap as chips, and with not a lager lout in sight. These centres are ubiquitous and secure and – unlike in other parts of Asia – you don’t have to recall your last typhoid jab, or wonder how long those prawns have been lying around for.

Also: Singapore: From Old Colonial To New Cool [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/singapore/8303563/Singapore-from-old-colonial-to-new-cool.html], by Mark Rowe, The Telegraph.

**** Sexuality Education Must Remain Secular <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=5849>
Ng E-Jay, SgPolitics.net

Sexuality education must remain secular because we live in a secular society and because a secular programme best serves the interests of students who will become future stewards of society. To dilute their education by denying them much needed knowledge would be doing them a grave injustice.