[MyAppleMenu] Oct 15, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 15 18:59:00 EDT 2010

**** Appletell Reviews Masterwriter 2.0 For Mac Os X <http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/appletell-reviews-masterwriter-2.0-for-mac-os-x/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+appletell+Appletell>
Kirk Hiner, Appletell

**** Using The iPad To Connect <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703440004575547971877769154.html?ru=yahoo&mod=yahoo_hs>
Jennifer Valentino-Devries, Wall Street Journal

The rise of mainstream tablet computers is proving to have unforeseen benefits for children with speech and communication problems—and such use has the potential to disrupt a business where specialized devices can cost thousands of dollars.

**** A Super Flexible File Sync App For Mac Geeks <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/a-super-flexible-file-sync-app-for-mac-geeks/>
Jeffrey Mincey, Mac 360

**** John Sculley On Steve Jobs, The Full Interview Transcript <http://www.cultofmac.com/john-sculley-on-steve-jobs-the-full-interview-transcript/63295>
Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

"Looking back, it was a big mistake that I was ever hired as CEO. I was not the first choice that Steve wanted to be the CEO. He was the first choice, but the board wasn’t prepared to make him CEO when he was 25, 26 years old."

**** Moving To Mac: 6 Months In <http://gigaom.com/collaboration/moving-to-mac-6-months-in/>
Scott Blitstein, GigaOM

After six months I think I have reached a plateau of sorts in terms of productivity. I am feeling very comfortable with my current setup and am ready to move onto scripting, adding more utilities for file processing, and my personal goal of mastering the Services menu.

**** Mac 101: Keyboard Tricks For Finder Navigation <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/14/mac-101-keyboard-tricks-for-finder-navigation/>
Brett Terpstra, TUAW

You may know that you can expand and collapse Finder folders in a tree view using the left and right arrow keys. But did you know that you can expand or collapse all of the root-level folders at once?

**** Narrator Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3243755&olo=rss>
Karl Hodge, Macworld UK

Mark-up text for conversion to speech with a reading tool that puts your Mac’s core features to good use.

**** Push Pixels With Photoshop Elements 9 <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11668?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Photoshop Elements—not just because it offers professional photo editing capabilities in a reasonable price, but because Adobe has done a good job of figuring out how it can best help photographers who don't push pixels for a living.

**** Cars Born To Run With Smartphone Apps <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/automobiles/autospecial2/14ELECTRONICS.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
John R. Quain, New York Times

Most auto dealers will tell you that more buyers ask about how to connect an iPhone to a car or about the latest collision avoidance systems than they do about how quickly a car goes from zero to 60. So automakers are pumping up the technology.

**** Wallowing In Grief Over Maman <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/15/books/15book.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Dwight Garner, New York Times

“Mourning Diary” feels like a first draft: it has repetitions, ambiguous passages and even (as Barthes admits) emotional banalities. But this book’s unvarnished quality is the source of its wrecking cumulative power. Barthes’s ironic intellect, apparent everywhere in his many books, is wrapped here around his sore and nakedly beating heart.

**** Buildings On The Big Screen <http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2010/oct/14/buildings-big-screen/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Martin Filler, The New York Review Of Books

The static art of architecture and the kinetic art of motion pictures might seem antithetical mediums, but films can be enormously helpful in explaining buildings to laymen and professionals alike. Certain architectural works—the photo-resistant designs of Alvar Aalto come to mind—are difficult if not impossible to understand in still imagery, and are made fully comprehensible only through films that move around and inside them.

**** Singapore Move Hits Dollar, India Intervenes <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69B14B20101014>
Nopporn Wong-Anan and Swati Bhat, Reuters

Singapore widened the trading band for its currency in response to increasing market volatility and India intervened to temper a rising rupee as foreign exchange tensions persisted ahead of a key G20 meeting.

**** Singapore Imported Commonwealth Champions <http://blog.thestar.com.my/permalink.asp?id=32809>
The Star

**** The Authorities Will Not Grin And Bear It ... <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC101015-0000098/The-authorities-will-not-grin-and-bear-it-,,,>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

Despite an apology from those involved in the publicity stunt, the police are still investigating the team for creating a public nuisance and have also confiscated the bear suit.

**** Ruling Pap Ramps Up Elections Preparations <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/10/15/ruling-pap-ramps-up-elections-preparations/>
Yahoo!

Preparations for speech and media training classes are also reportedly under way. Closed-door sessions for party activists, entitled “How to Win Hearts and Minds” are also being held.

**** Laughing All The Way Back To The Kampung <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/vantage/4242-laughing-all-the-way-back-to-the-kampung->
Jufrie Mahmood, Singapore Democrat Party

The reality is that Singaporeans will have to keep paying for their flats throughout their entire working life with nothing much to look forward to on their retirement. That is, if they are lucky enough to afford a retirement. Now compare the lot of citizens with that of the PRs.

**** 白沙伊莱雅湿巴刹多波折 昇菘得递交第六份规划书 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101015_004.shtml>
王润, 联合早报

昇菘白沙伊莱雅路湿巴刹一波多折,五份规划建议书一再遭否决,他们这几天将提交第六份建议,如果这份建议通过,即刻展开装修,居民在明年农历新年前就有新巴刹。

**** 100元换来的一句话 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl101015_007.shtml>
陈忠宪, 联合早报

在新加坡你会发现,人们说话声音很低很慢,但行走的脚步匆匆;人们相处彼此彬彬有礼,但又刻意保持距离。