[MyAppleMenu] Oct 16, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Oct 16 18:59:02 EDT 2010

**** AutoCAD Arrives For The Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/154919/2010/10/autocad_available.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

**** Apple Posts Updates For Logic Pro And Logic Express <http://www.macworld.com/article/154905/2010/10/logic_pro_express_updates.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Dahlquist, Macworld

The 9.1.2 update delivers the usual “general stability and compatibility” improvements, as well as improved compatibility with 6 and 12-core Mac Pro systems and support for iOS control surface apps that utilize the OSC protocol.

**** Apple Fixes Bugs In Remote App 2.0.1 Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/154918/2010/10/remote_app_201.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

**** MaxMenus 1.6b2 <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/707226/review/maxmenus_16b2.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

If you’ve never used MaxMenus, it’s a Mac OS X System Preferences pane that lets you create multiple custom, hierarchical menus for quickly accessing your favorite files, folders, and programs. The number of menus you can have is, for practical purposes, unlimited.

**** Editing Tips And Tricks For Apple's Mobile Imovie App <http://www.macworld.com/article/154761/2010/10/imovieapp11.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Jeff Carlson, Macworld

Being a mobile app, some capabilities aren’t available—or are they? Here are some tips for expanding the editing features of iMovie 1.1.

**** Review: Adobe Lightroom 3 <http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/10/15/review-adobe-lightroom-3/>
Devin Coldewey, CrunchGear

Powerful and easy to use, this is probably the best cross-platform photography management software out there — though navigation and organization aren’t the most intuitive. Version 3 adds some useful features, but whether they are useful enough for you to upgrade is for you to decide.

**** Apple's Better Picture <http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052970204742304575546161304898830.html?mod=googlenews_barrons>
Jay Palmer, Barron's

Apple TV lives up to the hype, letting you access video libraries from Netflix, YouTube, and the iTunes Store on your HDTV.

**** 12-Core Mac Pro (Mid 2010) <http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/600041/review/mac_pro_xeon266ghz_12_core.html?expand=true&lsrc=rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

The 12-core Mac Pro is certainly not for everyone. It is expensive and unimpressive when performing everyday computing tasks. However, for anyone who makes a living working on high-end applications that can use and abuse the 24 virtual cores, the amount of time saved on processor-intensive tasks results in the 12-core Mac Pro being a bargain.

**** Mac 101: Making A Fancy Signature In Mail.app <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/16/mac-101-making-a-fancy-signature-in-mail-app/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** Software Identifies Social Cliques You Didn't Even Know You Had <http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/mimssbits/25896/?ref=rss>
Technology Review

A new algorithm for detecting social networks handles dolphins, karate students, and Chinese computer scientists with equal aplomb.

**** Why Hollywood Can't Get The Hang Of Science Fiction <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2010/oct/15/hollywood-science-fiction?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Damien Walter , The Guardian

Wherever and whenever it's set, this genre's most special effect is its ideas – things that Tinseltown generally leaves on the cutting-room floor.

**** Player One By Douglas Coupland – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/oct/16/player-one-douglas-coupland-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Scarlett Thomas, The Guardian

Somewhere along the line popular culture won (if there was even a battle), and the exclamation mark took over. "Poor humanity!" has something upbeat, sentimental and ironic in it that "Poor humanity" does not. Of course, one senses that Coupland knows this, and his characters know it too, and it could be that his all-surface-no-depth approach does tell us something important about ourselves. Perhaps the fact that we know it already is not the point at all.

**** Read My Book? Tour My House <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/books/review/Trubek-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Anne Trubek, New York Times

Having toured dozens of dead writers’ houses over the years, I was familiar with the genre of the Mailer tour: the bedrooms, the bookshelves, the dining room table scratched up by the author. I could also anticipate the quiet awe of my fellow tourgoers once we reached the mecca, the third-floor study. My reaction? Geez, it’s hot up here, and musty, and I hope no one saw me yawn. But I did marvel at one thing: the Universal Gym, in mint condition, installed in the middle of the room. I wonder how that will play to the Provincetown pilgrims 50 years from now?

**** Two New Libraries To Open In Serangoon & Clementi In 2011 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087291/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The National Library Board has said it will be opening two more public libraries in the heartlands next year, with one to be located at Serangoon while the other at Clementi.

**** Why Can't Singapore Play In Asian League? France <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/16/sports/soccer/16iht-SOCCER.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Kevin Drew, New York Times

Singapore’s practice of allowing international teams to compete in its top soccer league has helped develop the sport in the small island nation but has come at a cost: self-imposed exile from the biggest Asian competition of the beautiful game.

**** Capturing Memories Through Blogs <http://goodmorningyesterday.blogspot.com/2010/10/capturing-memories-through-blogs.html>
Lam Chun See, Good Morning Yesterday

**** Singapore Hotel Rooms Most Expensive In Asia-Survey <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLNE69E03Z20101015>
Reuters

A Singapore hotel room cost an average of S$230 per night in the second quarter this year, up 22 percent from the same period last year, according to a survey by online hotel booking operator Hotels.com.

**** Super-Rich Come To S'pore <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2010/10/16/columnists/insightdownsouth/7231648&sec=insightdownsouth>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Many of working class living in the heartland do not see much benefit from having so many rich people around – but they feel the pain of rising costs.

**** The Minister As Muse <http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/15/singapore-portraits-of-the-prime-minister.html>
Newsweek

As Singapore’s first prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew, reflects on his mortality, artists are experimenting with his image in their work.

**** Temasek Holdings Wants Temasek Review Website To Change Its Name <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087359/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

Investment firm Temasek Holdings said it wanted alternative political news website "Temasek Review" to change its name.

**** Haze In Singapore Due To Sumatra Fires <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1087523/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The skies over Singapore were slightly hazy on Saturday. The National Environment Agency (NEA) attributed this to the smoke haze from the fires in Sumatra brought in by the prevailing southwesterly winds.

**** Downtown Temple To Be Restored <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_591674.html>
Lin Yang, Straits Times