[MyAppleMenu] Nov 27, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 27 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** Why The Delay On The iPhone 3GS In India? <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=a1830800074140dfe554e46dfb987327>
Aayush Arya, Macworld

At Apple’s unveiling of the iPhone 3GS in June 2009, Apple’s senior VP of worldwide product marketing, Phil Schiller, stated in no uncertain terms that the faster iPhone would be rolled out through the rest of the world by August. The month came and went—heck, we’re nearing the end of November—and the iPhone 3GS () is still nowhere to be seen in countries such as Ecuador, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, and Venezuela.

**** Apple Documents iTunes LP And iTunes Extras For Developers <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/26/apple-documents-itunes-lp-and-itunes-extras-for-developers/>
Joachim Bean, TUAW

If you're an iTunes contributor and you're looking forward to developing an iTunes LP of your own, Apple has posted several resources for Extras & LP, including a best practices guide, a development guide, asset delivery tips and a testing guide

**** Apple Black Friday Sales Begin In Australia And New Zealand <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/26/apple-black-friday-sales-begin-in-australia-and-new-zealand/>
MacRumors

Apple has launched its "Black Friday" one-day sales in Australia and New Zealand, with other countries set to follow at the appropriate times. As expected, Apple is offering only modest discounts compared to the deals offered by many other retailers for the traditional kickoff of the holiday shopping season.

**** Dear Aunt TUAW: My "Private" APIs... Aren't <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/26/dear-aunt-tuaw-my-private-apis-arent/>
Erica Sadun, TUAW

**** iPhone Tries To Crack Korea <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703499404574559734131133944.html?mod=rss_most_viewed_day_asia>
Evan Ramstad, Wall Street Journal

Apple Inc.'s iPhone on Saturday will finally go on sale in South Korea, a country that prides itself on creating and consuming cutting-edge technology but where the government raised trade barriers on smart phones to protect domestic manufacturers and carriers for several years.

**** Apple's One-day Sale Hits The US Store <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/27/apples-one-day-sale-hits-the-us-store/>
Joachim Bean, TUAW

**** The Flowers Of Evil <http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/the-flowers-of-evil-charles-baudelaire/>
Charles Baudelaire, translated by Will Stone, 3:AM Magazine

**** The Lion And The Tiger <http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2009/11/the-lion-and-the-tiger/>
David Edmonds, Prospect

Armenia excels at chess. Its top player now has a shot at becoming world champion. How did this tiny country become a giant at the game?

**** The Latest Entrepreneurial Fantasy Is Selling Cupcakes <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=6797a6aec6e29510cee6c31d03bb8413>
Elizabeth Olson, New York Times

Move over restaurants and bed-and-breakfasts. A new fantasy seems to have taken hold for people who long to own their own business: the cupcakery.

**** A Professionally Funny Family <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/magazine/29Elliott-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Ed Zuckerman, New York Times

The Elliott family has been professionally funny for three generations. Does it matter that audiences don’t always get the joke?

**** It Themes Somehow Familiar <http://www.slate.com/id/2236024/?from=rss>
Matt Gaffney, Slate Magazine

How could two crossword constructors come up with puzzles that are almost exactly alike?

**** Isn't It Littering? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC091127-0000044/isnt-it-littering?>
Shirley Ong, Today

I recently asked the Town Council about the flyers piling up at my doorstep, and the impression I got is that while they are aware of the issue, they can do little to resolve it.

**** The Singapore Dilemma <http://harishpillay.livejournal.com/168475.html>
Harish Pillay, Alas, A Blog!

Too many mistakes are in the system and political leadership is called for. Not sure if Lee Hsien Loong can rise to it, not sure if Ng Eng Hen (the education minister) cares, but we need to fix the problems. We are loosing (and have lost) good people due to stupidity on the part of the policy makers aka politicians from the PAP.

**** Modest Year-end Bonus <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_459384.html>
Straits Times

Some 60,000 civil servants will get a modest year-end bonus of 0.25 month, which will be capped at $750 to help maintain wage restraint, the government announced on Thursday.

But the rank and file staff will get the full 0.25 month payment. All civil servants will also receive the 13th month payment, said a statement from the Public Service Division (PSD).

**** No Pay Hike For Ministers <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_459385.html>
Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times

Cabinet ministers, appointment holders and top civil servants will not be getting a pay increase for the second year running, in view of the uncertain economic recovery.

**** Be More Open To Reduce Policy Errors <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_459602.html>
Chia Hern Keng, Straits Times

Given today's accelerated pace of change in a global world in which mistakes may no longer be reversible, it is crucial that government policies be open to scrutiny and responsive to public feedback as quickly as possible. This requires an even greater liberalisation of the mainstream media for public discussion on national issues.

**** Reducing The Cost Of Living – The Lean Way <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/11/reducing-the-cost-of-living-the-lean-way/>
Jeisilan Sivalingam, The Online Citizen

**** Tweaks And Totally Re-inventing The Wheel <http://kelvinteowrites.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/tweaks-and-totally-re-inventing-the-wheel/>
Kelvin Teo Writes

**** Picture Of Inactivity As Ships Crowd The Horizon <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/811a4406-daf5-11de-933d-00144feabdc0.html>
Kevin Brown, Financial Times

>From the palm-fringed beaches of Singapore's east coast, it is possible to see the islands of Indonesia across the narrow strait that separates the two countries.

These days, though, the view is obscured by hundreds of ships lying at anchor, some of them part of the estimated 10 per cent of the world container fleet idled due to lack of business. At the ultra-modern Pasir Panjang container terminal stacks of empty containers piled up behind protective fencing tell a similar story.

**** Ports Face Crisis As Volumes Fall <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/024cc44a-daf6-11de-933d-00144feabdc0.html>
Robert Wright, Financial Times

The world's container ports industry is facing a sharp reversal in its fortunes as the sector's first ever year-on-year fall in volumes forces an abrupt change from breakneck expansion to retrenchment.

**** Minimum Wage – The Good, The Bad And The Truth <http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/11/27/minimum-wage-%e2%80%93-the-good-the-bad-and-the-truth/>
Damon Yeo, The Temasek Review

With Singapore slowly creeping up the list of the most expensive cities of the world, the time is now for us to relook into enacting a minimum wage policy to start protecting those who might have already been exploited, even if not intentionally, by circumstances.

**** Vote For Change - The Lost Generation <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2009/11/vote-for-change-lost-generation.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives