[MyAppleMenu] Nov 28, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 28 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** Apple Store Fails The Nordstrom Test <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5336ahttp://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5336&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zdnet%2FApple+%28ZDNet+The+Apple+Core%29>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

Analysts hail Apple as the “new” Nordstrom. However, unlike the almost mythic quality of the department store, at Apple’s retail stores, you will need a receipt, hardcopy or email, to exchange a problem disc.

**** Microsoft Worked With Apple And Is Bringing Us Silverlight To The iPhone, Instead Of Flash By Adobe <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AppAdvice/~3/OkpdZNd07V8/>
Alexander Vaughn, App Advice

Microsoft demonstrated the first developer beta of Silverlight 4 at the Professional Developer’s Conference this week, nothing very exciting if it’s not that they actually demoed it running on an iPhone.

**** iPhone Pre-Sale Orders Exceed 50,000 <http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2009/11/28/200911280009.asp>
Korea Herald

KT Corp., which will begin offering Apple Inc.'s iPhones in Korea today, said advance orders for the handsets exceeded 50,000 as of Thursday.

**** Battling The Skeptics <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/books/review/Sanghavi-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Darshak Sanghavi, New York Times

Michael Specter takes on those he sees as denying science, from promoters of alternative medicines to anti-vaccine zealots.

**** Please Mr. Postman <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/books/review/Schiff-t.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Stacy Schiff, New York Times

This meditation on the art of letter-writing embraces old friends — Flaubert, Freud, the Mitfords — and plenty of unknowns.

**** Mobile Phone Users Want Greater Transparency On Data Usage <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/1021024/1/.html>
Rachel Kelly, Channel NewsAsia

A survey shows that some 90 per cent of users would like notification when their data limit has been reached.

**** StarHub No Knight In Shining Armour <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_459930.html>
Hoe Chia Choon, Straits Times

I understand that as a corporate entity, StarHub must maximise profits and returns to shareholders. However, with the first real blow from its competitor, it now cries foul, paints itself as righteous and pressures SingTel to share the EPL rights. I feel it is a lame excuse. You called their bluff and you lost. Move on.

**** Don't Let Them Hurt Singapore's Reputation <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_460005.html>
Ng Junrong, Victor Loh, Straits Times

The inclusion of academic institutions in Singapore by Oregon's Office of Degree Authorisation, as reported in Thursday's Special Report, illustrates the severity of the situation.

**** Town Council Has Funds To Replace Lifts <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_460011.html>
Leong Shee Wing, Tampines Town Council, Straits Times

To put it simply, we will need an average of $4.5 million a year to replace the 1,260 lifts over the 28-year cycle, which will be adequately provided for from our annual sinking fund contribution which currently is $11.8 million.

**** Bus Stops Get New Sign Poles <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_460193.html>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has replaced 1,430 bus stop sign poles with snazzier and more prominent ones that cost $1,000 each.

**** Why People Need To Speak Out About Censorship In Singapore <http://us.asiancorrespondent.com/the-asia-file/why-people-need-to-speak-out-about-.htm>
Ben Bland, Asian Correspondent

Without the manpower and resources of mainstream publications, it is very difficult for citizen journalists to produce hard-hitting and thorough journalism.

**** 两公会要求暂缓一两年 实施咖啡店全面禁烟 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp091128_004.shtml>
联合早报

环境局有意于短期内,在咖啡店实行全面禁烟令。两大咖啡商公会要求该局,考虑全面禁烟令可能对咖啡店生意所造成的打击,暂缓一两年后才推行。

**** Singapore May Be The New Financial Hub <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Feconomictimes.indiatimes.com%2Fnews%2Fnews-by-company%2Fcorporate-trends%2FSingapore-may-be-the-new-financial-hub%2Farticleshow%2F5277443.cms&usg=AFQjCNH5KBH04edP1gujc_PQybuue-T3Ng>
Economic Times

The jury is out on what the future holds for Dubai. Fund managers and high-street bankers see the fall of Dubai as a prelude to the emergence of Singapore as the undisputed financial centre of Asia.

**** Upper Middle Class Folks Are Living In Style <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2009/11/28/columnists/insightdownsouth/5198616&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

In recent months, I have had a few glimpses of how far Singapore’s upper middle class has moved ahead in the richest city in South-East Asia.