[MyAppleMenu] Jan 26, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 26 13:15:01 EST 2009

**** Looking Back To The First Apple Mac <http://www.mercurynews.com/larrymagid/ci_11528853>
by Larry Magid, San Jose Mercury News
I was blown away when Steve Jobs gave me a one-on-one preview of the original Macintosh in January 1984.

**** Review: Apple iWork '09 <http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-life/laptops/reviews/review-apple-iwork-09/2009/01/24/1232471647842.html>
by David Flynn, Sydney Morning Herald
The fourth generation of Apple's iWork software suite for the Mac may not be a giant leap from the current iWork '08 editio but it certainly takes a long, confident stride ahead.

**** Apple Ships iLife '09 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/01/26/apple.ships.ilife/>
by MacNN

**** $200 Laptops Break A Business Model <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/technology/26spend.html?_r=1>
by Brad Stone And Ashlee Vance, New York Times
Silicon Valley has been gripped by a growing sense that the economic retreat might do more than depress earnings. There is too much ingrained optimism here to think that the tech sector will not bounce back, stronger than before.
But the fear now is that consumers and businesses operating with the same cost-cutting mind-set, will erode the high-margin businesses of the information technology industry &mdash; slowing some technologies and companies but giving new momentum to others.

**** Army Cats <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/02/02/090202po_poem_sleigh>
by Tom Sleigh, New Yorker

**** Singapore Big Wheel Reopens After Fire <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g4XmsVq3g3mFkStY8h5X73o-4HsA>
by AFP
Passengers buying tickets for the first "flight" of the wheel said they had no safety concerns.

**** PM Lee Says Impact Of Budget To Be Assessed Before Considering Off-Budget Measures <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/404937/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
SIngapore's prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said the idea behind crafting this year's budget is to have one that deals directly with the economic issues that confront Singapore, instead of having smaller measures every few months.

**** Not Efficient To Engage Singaporeans On Many Online Platforms <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_330608.html>
by Julia Hang, Ministry Of Information, Communicatons And The Arts, Straits Times
Over time, as we enhance our capability and experience, we will explore other objective and accountable online platforms.

**** Think Of Faceless Online Critics As Bacteria <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,190920,00.html?>
by Eugene Wee, New Paper
Blogs like yawningbread.org, wayangparty.com and theonlinecitizen.com have names to them. And Messrs Alex Au, Eugene Yeo and Choo Zheng Xi have earned themselves a growing number of readers.

**** Thus Spoke Shanmugaratnam <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/01/thus-spoke-shanmugaratnam/>
by The Online Citizen
Despite the government's constant invocation about "staying together", its will-power in maintaining a staunchly anti-welfare stance has ensured that most individuals would be facing this recession starkly alone.

**** My Dear Government, Why Do You Treat Me So? <http://gangasudhan.com/blog/2009/01/my-dear-government-why-do-you-treat-me.html>
by My Thoughts
Then, not only will protesting be illegal, so will filming it. My God! What's next? Turning your head to glance becomes an offence? Or will reading the placard/banner/t-shirt lead to being indefinitely detained under the ISA?

**** Singapore Flyer Resumes Operation After Month-Long Shutdown <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/404825/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia
The world's largest observation wheel, the Singapore Flyer, will resume operations on Monday - the first day of the Lunar New Year.