[MyAppleMenu] Jan 27, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jan 27 13:15:00 EST 2009

**** Aquaria <http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/aquaria>
by Susie Ochs, MacLife

**** Bento 2 Is A Versatile Database Organizer <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/drmac/6231832.html>
by Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle
Bento 2 is easy even if you've never used a database.

**** Apple Throws Another Curveball, Approves Podcaster For The App Store With Changes <http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/26/apple-throws-another-curveball-approves-podcaster-for-the-app-s/>
by Chris Ziegler, Engadget

**** Apple Nvidia Update Fixes Some Mini DisplayPort Dual-Link DVI Issues, Boosts HD Video Performance <http://i.gizmodo.com/5139708/apple-nvidia-update-fixes-some-mini-displayport-dual+link-dvi-issues-boosts-hd-video-performance>
by Matt Buchanan, Gizmodo

**** Apple Updates iLife Media Browser <http://www.macworld.com/article/138460/2009/01/ilifemedia.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
According to Apple the "update improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues."

**** Apple Releases iDVD 7.0.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/138459/2009/01/idvd.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Darlymple, Macworld
According to a rather terse note on the company's support page, iDVD 7.0.3 "improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues."

**** Review: RoadTrip 2.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/138217/2009/01/roadtrip2.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Ted Wallingford, Macworld
GPS software offers excellent Mac-based trip planning.

**** Review: Numbers '09 <http://www.macworld.com/article/138426/2009/01/numbers09.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
The new functions, Function Browser, Formula List feature, Table Categories, and charting options eliminate many of the weak points in the first version of the program.

**** A Quick Look At VirtualBox 2.1 <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/01/a-quick-look-at-virtualbox-21.ars>
by Dave Girard, Ars Technica
While it might take some tweaking to get basic things like networking or sound working, it's worth a shot to see if it can save you some bucks. If you're looking for someting more stable and integrated, then you're still going to have to opt for a commercial virtualization solution.

**** The Mac Turns 25: Our First Macs <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10029>
by TidBITS
We're all taking a moment to dig back into the depths of time and share a few thoughts about our first Macs.

**** Apple Vs. Palm: Geeks With Grudges <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/01/26/apple-vs-palm-geeks-with-grudges/>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune
The bad blood between Apple and Palm that bubbled to the surface last week has a history that long predates Palm's launch of the Pre, a smartphone that flatters Apple more sincerely than any of the other iPhone imitators.

**** Macintosh Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Reunion: Where Did Time Go? <http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2009/01/twenty-five-yea.html>
by Guy Kawasaki, How To Change The World
I hope that everone gets at least one chance to work on such a great project with such great people as the Macintosh Division.

**** 25 Years Of Mac: Repurposing Your Dead Mac <http://cultofmac.com/25-years-of-mac-repurposing-your-dead-mac/7529>
by Nicole Martinelli, Cult Of Mac
When a computer gives up the ghost, there are a lot of things you can do to keep it around the house.

**** Changes To Low-End MacBook Promise More Value Than Ever <http://www.macworld.com/article/138448/2009/01/macbook_value.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
We're still working on getting a version of this updated MacBook into Macworld Lab for testing and review. But based on the revised specs of the laptop, this model appears to be a solid value for both gamers and Mac users on a budget.

**** The Mac Turns 25: Best Mac Ever? <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10028>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
The SE/30 was a great package that offered a glimpse of what the Macintosh could be in the future and then stuck around to watch that future come to life around it.

**** Review: Araxis Merge 2009 <http://www.macworld.com/article/138255/2009/01/merge2009.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by John Brandon, Macworld
File comparison utility pinpoints even minor discrepancies with ease.

**** A Tool To Verify Digital Records, Even As Technology Shifts <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/science/27arch.html?_r=1>
by John Markoff, New York Times
Simple-to-use digital technology will make it more difficult to distort history in the future.

**** Sicko-nomics <http://www.slate.com/id/2209602/?from=rss>
by Zachary F. Meisel and Jesse M. Pines, Slate
Health care reformers should look to the banking collapse as a cautionary tale.

**** Out Of The Fire, Into The Frying Pan <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123267953432909107.html>
by Judy Joo, Wall Street Journal
The analogies between the financial world and the world of restaurants don't stop in the kitchen.

**** "Strong Fundamentals For Future Learning" - Key Directions For The Future Of Primary Education <http://www.moe.gov.sg/media/press/2009/01/strong-fundamentals-for-future.php>
by Ministry of Education, Singapore Government
Primary Education Review and Implementation (PERI) committee shares preliminary recommendations.

**** Government Seeks Cap On Temasek, GIC Holdings In Listed Companies <http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/Economy/Policy/Government_seeks_cap_on_Temasek_GIC_holdings_in_listed_companies/articleshow/4031430.cms>
by Javed Sayed, Economic Times
The finance ministry has proposed that a key agreement between India and Singapore be amended to prevent two Singapore government-owned investment entities &mdash; Temasek and GIC &mdash; from together holding more than 10% equity stake in any publicly-traded Indian company.
/If one is to read between the lines, it seems that India is accusing the Singapore government of not acting responsibly./

**** Let Us Mindful Of The Potential Pitfalls Ahead While Being Grateful For What We Have <http://singaporeenquirer.sg/?p=1580>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Singapore Enquirer
In spite of the apparent social stability we have now, there exists hidden undercurents of tension and discontent beneath which will erupt eventually when the conditions are ripe.

**** Solar Eclipse In Singapore <http://www.freshbrainz.com/2009/01/solar-eclipse-in-singapore.html>
by Fresh Brainz
I don't have any sophisticated equipment for taking eclipse photos directly, so I used my old solar projection rig to project an image of the Sun onto a piece of card instead.
See Also:
Partial Solar Eclipse In Singapore <http://stormelement.com/?p=329>, by Stormelement.com.