[MyAppleMenu] Jan 25, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 25 13:15:01 EST 2009

**** On The Mac <http://parislemon.com/2009/01/on-the-mac.html>
by ParisLemon
When I was growing up, I knew exactly /one/ friend who had a Mac. Now, I would say more than half of my friends have them.

**** Apple Fans Mark 25 Years Of Mac Devotion <http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/23/apple.macintosh.anniversary/?iref=mpstoryview>
by Jessica Ravitz, CNN
Long before fish swam in Macquariums, hipsters got Apple logo tattoos and thousands camped out for days to get into computer store openings, there was a machine.

**** What Made The Mac Different <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2009/01/24/whatMadeTheMacDifferent.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
Guy Kawasaki not only spoke our language but he spoke Apple's language. When we needed to get things done inside Apple, he managed them on our behalf. Believe me that was necessary, because while a small number of people inside Apple wanted developer support, the company was leaning toward the very big developers, Lotus, Microsoft and Software Publishing. Guy believed in the little guys, like my team, and it turned out he was right and they were wring. The products that made the Mac were ones no one had heard of: Aldus Pagemaker, Adobe Photoshop, Quark XPress, Filemaker, BBEdit, Macromind Director, 4D, Think C and Pascal. Borland, Ashton-Tate and the other BigCo's, the ones that Apple management courted, with the exception of Microsoft, never shipped anything worthy of the Mac.

**** When Is A CEO's Health 'Material' To Investors? <http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_11546262>
by San Jose Mercury News
Given the fuzziness of the SEC guidelines, the probe is unlikely to turn up any wrongdoing by Apple. Clarifying the disclosure rules is in everyone's best interests.

**** Apple's Holier-Than-Thou Attitude May Be Its Salvation <http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/25/apple-umberto-eco-obama-microsoft>
by John Naughton, The Guardian

**** "Mac Is Back?" Hey, It Never Left. Macintosh Turns 25 <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william-bradley/mac-is-back-hey-it-never_b_160600.html>
by William Bradley, Huffington Post
It hasn't taken over the world, as Steve Jobs hoped. But it's changed the face of computing in many ways, and is doing a lot better than any other computer in this global recession.

**** How Mac Gaming Has Changed <http://www.macworld.com/article/138430/2009/01/macat25_moregames.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Even this cursory look back at the past quarter-century shows just how far Mac gaming has come and how much it's changed. If the next 25 years are even partly as interesting, it should be a very entertaining show.

**** The Best Mac Games Of All Time <http://www.macworld.com/article/138428/2009/01/macat25_games.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by John Siracusa, Macworld
Many of the classics required dexterity and dedication well beyond that demanded by today's crop of mass-market video games. Here are the best of a bygone era.

**** Five Forgotten Apple Products <http://www.macworld.com/article/138427/2009/01/macat25_forgotten.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Benj Edwards, Macworld
Everyone remembers the Mac, but what about these Apple offerings?

**** Cellphones As Credit Cards? Americans Must Wait <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/business/25proto.html>
by Leslie Berlin, New York Times
The myriad companies that must work together to give the technology to the masses have yet to agree on how to split the resulting revenue.

**** Playboy: The Hugh Hefner Story <http://www.nplusonemag.com/playboy-hugh-hefner-story>
by Molly Young, n+1
The first thing that strike the casual reader is the anatomical variety among bunnies. Nipples, for one thing. Some are as big as cupcakes, others are the size of a penny. They are occasionally erect and come in a range of colors as varied as drugstore lipsticks. Pubic hair is another delight to behold, appearing first in 1971 and thriving until 1997.

**** Sad Men <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/books/review/Schuessler-t.html>
by Jennifer Schuessler, New York Times
"A new breed of American has arrived on the scene," Dalton Conley declares in "Elsewhere, U.S.A.," his compact guidebook to our nervous new world. Instead of individuals searching for authenticity, we are "intraviduals" defined by shifting personas and really cool electronics, which help us manage "the myriad data streams, impulses, desires and even consciousnesses that we experience in our heads as we navigate multiple worlds."

**** Appraising Grace <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/books/review/Bentley-t.html?_r=1>
by Toni Bentley, New York Times
The first English-language edition of one of the very greatest writers on ballet, who witnessed the mythic Russian ballerinas of the early 20th century.

**** The End Of Solitude <http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i21/21b00601.htm>
by William Deresiewicz, Chronicle Of Higher Education
As everyone seeks more and broader connectivity, the still, small voice speaks only in silence.

**** Singapore Wil Allow "Room To Speak" At APEC Summit <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/asia_file/blog/2009/01/25/singapore_will_allow_room_to_speak_at_apec_summit>
by Ben Bland, Telegraph
The executive director of APEC (the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation grouping) has insisted that there will be room for free speech at this year's annual summit in Singapore despite the government signaling that it will toughen its protest laws ahead of the meeting.
See Also: Singapore Will Allow "Room To Speak" At APEC Summit <http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive/2009/01/25/singapore-will-allow-&#8220;room-to-speak&#8221;-at-apec-summit.html>, by Singabloodypore. The problem is that we have heard this nonsense before. From past experience and with the recent tightening of anti-protest legislation, what will actually happen is the same old authoritarian heavy handed approach of crushing any and all descent.

**** You Know You Are Getting Old, If During Your NS Days... <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2009/01/you-know-you-are-getting-old-if-during-your-ns-days.html>
by mrbrown

**** Freedom And Constraint: Insights From Singapore <http://www.davidsibbet.com/david_sibbet/2009/01/freedom-and-constraint-insights-from-singapore.html>
by David Sibbet
I can't pretend to understand a different culture from a couple of week visit, but I came away feeling that Singapore is a harbinger of the future. As our challenges rise, the call for more control and order will also rise. We see it in the new mood to regulate business, in response to the excesses of the financial industry. At the same time the life force seeks expression, and people move toward the freedoms. The young in Singapore want more freedom of expression and the government is having to respond. The push and pull feels like a river of life, moving to reconcile Freedom and Constraint. I see the pattern in the way modern architecture is bending material to the flow of light and line. This picture of a walkway at Clark Quay seems to sum it up for me.

**** Massive Jam @ JB New CIQ <http://blog.thestar.com.my/permalink.asp?id=20821>
by The Star

**** Singapore PM Says Recession May Last For Whole Of 2009 <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2009/01/24/afx5960800.html>
by Reuters
Prme minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Sunday that the government's S$20.5 billion stimulus package will not immediately lift the country out of a recession, which may possibly last for the whole of 2009.

**** Budget: Where Are The Safety Nets? <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/01/budget-where-are-safety-nets.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind