[MyAppleMenu] May 24, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 24 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Free Software: Better On OS X? <http://ostatic.com/162900-blog/free-software-better-on-os-xss#rss>
by Mike Gunderloy, OStatic

**** Five Reasons Not To Switch To Mac And The Five Reasons Why I Finally Did Switch To Mac <http://www.goodwillhinton.com/five_reasons_not_to_switch_to_mac_and_the_five_reasons_why_i_finally_did_switch_to_mac>
by Will Hinton, Good Will Hinton
So how did I overcome my objections?

**** The Obvious Difference Between Mac And Windows Applications <http://goobimama.blogspot.com/2008/05/obvious-difference-between-mac-and.html>
by Goobimama's Soggy Blog
Developers of Mac applications generally pay a lot of attention to the design and aesthetics of the application. Whereas in the Windows world, it is features, features, features. A feature is not a feature until and unless you can use it.

**** New 3G Apple iPhone Arrives In North America <http://www.importgenius.com/blog/iphone>
by ImportGenius
Data from U.S. customs records now seem to confirm this prediction.

**** Improving The iPod's Click Wheel <http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2008/05/improving_the_ipods_click_whee.html>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post
How could you revise the software behind the click wheel without altering its elegant hardware?

**** The Apple Of The Future <http://www.macworld.com/article/133600/2008/05/apple2013.html>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
Don't be too surprised when the next big thing out of Apple is something that nobody predicted. After all, that's just the way we like it.

**** Espy 1.0 Adds Pictres To Contacts <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/23/gogoalsoft.releases.espy/>
by MacNN

**** What ToDo 1.3.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133592/2008/05/whattodo.html>
by Jackie Dove, Macworld
WHat ToDo 1.3.2 is a clean, mnimalist calendar, organizer, and to-do program that takes a more iterative approach to task management than iCal&mdash;an approach that may work better for some people. It's missing some core functionality, however, and its price is rather high for such a minimal feature set.

**** Apple Only Has Eyes For Consumers <http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/05/23/apple-only-has-eyes-for-consumers/>
by Nick Wingfield, Wall Street Journal

**** Yahoo Buy Not A Strategy In Itself: Microsoft CEO <http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-microsoft-yahoo.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Reuters
Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said on Friday that buying Yahoo was not a strategy in itself, and dropping the bid meant it now had $50 billion to spend on other acquisitions.

**** Intimations Of Mortality <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_240517.html>
by Joanne Lee, Straits Times
He deleted his profile before he took his life.

**** Shutterfly: It's PIcture Perfect <http://www.newsweek.com/id/138369>
by Andrew Murr, Newsweek
Shutterfly is the little Silicon Valley company that could. It survived the dotcom bust and now competes with two behemoths in the online photo industry.

**** Down On The Server Farm <http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=11413148&fsrc=nwlehfree>
by The Economist
The real-world implications of the rise of internet computing.

**** The Alpha Geeks <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/23/opinion/23brooks.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by David Brooks, New York Times
The future historians of the nerd ascendancy will likely note that the great empowerment phase began in the 1980s with the rise of Microsoft and the digital economy.

**** Does Time Run Backward In Other Universes? <http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-cosmic-origins-of-times-arrow>
by Sean M. Carroll, Scientific American
One of the most basic facts of life is that the future looks different from the past. But on a grand cosmological scale, they may look the same.

**** Middle Rocks Now Happy Hunting Ground For Johor Fishermen <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=335148>
by Nor Faridah A. Rashid, Bernama

**** Singapore Urged To Consider Fishermen At Pulau Batu Puteh <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=335188>
by Bernama
The Singapore government has been urged to consider that Johoreans, especially fishermen, have been using Pulau Batu Puteh for generations for transportation and fishing. International trade and industry minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said the Malaysian government hoped Singapore would take note of this and not jeopardise the livelihood of the fishermen.

**** Chee Should Quit Politics And Start An Activist Group <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/05/chee-should-quit-politics-and-start.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
That is what they are best suited for. They can still get their foreign funding (in fact it will be easier as they will not be subjected to the Political Donations Act) and the prickly Lees won't see them as a political threat (although I don't see why they do now).

**** A Nest Of Our Own <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2008/05/nest-of-our-own.html>
by Singapore Life And Times

**** More Work In Store For Singapore, Malaysia After ICJ Ruling <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/349764/1/.html>
by Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia
Sovereignty over South Ledge was left to eb determined later between the countries when they sort out their territorial waters, the ruling said. So more work is in store for SIngapore and Malaysia.
Associate professor Robert Beckman from the NUS Faculty of Law said: "Indonesia may have to intervene in this case if the boundary is to be determined because their interest will be affected as well."

**** Stormy Waters Ahead For Singapore <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2008/5/24/columnists/insightdownsouth/21337246&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
The island-state, once a mere 'sampan' tossing about in a turbulent South-East Asia, is today a large ship cruising international waters. However, its dependency on the world for its daily necessities makes it vulnerable to any global economic downturn.

**** Singapore Economy Faces Triple Threat <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_240586.html>
by Nicholas Fang and Alvin Foo, Straits Times
SIngaore is facing a triple whammy of economic threats in the form of surging inflation, slower-than-expected growth and weaker exports, the government has warned.

**** Expert: Natural Resources In Territorial Waters Now Singapore's <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/24/nation/21354095&sec=nation>
by The Star
The International Court of Justice decision on Pulau Batu Puteh means that all natural resources and minerals in the territorial waters wil now belong to Singpore.
Maritime Institute of Malaysia director-general Datuk Cheah Kong Wai said under the Law of hte Sea, a country's erritorial waters stretched 12 nautical miles from its shores or any piece of land.

**** A Sad Abdullah Accepts ICJ Ruling <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/24/nation/21356063&sec=nation>
by The Star

**** Malaysians Can Now Go Fishing Off Middle Rocks <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/24/nation/21353715&sec=nation>
by The Star
For the first time in decades, Malaysian fishermen will be able to fish off Middle Rocks, which are just 0.6 nautical miles south of Pulau Batu Puteh (or Pedra Branca), which now officially belongs to Singapore.

**** Singapore Wins Pedra Branca - Malaysia Wins Middle Rocks <http://www.mr-endoh.com/singapore/singapore-wins-pedra-branca-malaysia-wins-middle-rocks/>
by Endoh's Dungeon

**** Libel Case Shows Singapore's Limits <http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/libel-case-shows-singapores-limits/2008/05/23/1211183102696.html>
by Hamish McDonald, Sydney Morning Herald

**** ICJ Decision Shows Singapore Cannot Act Unilaterally <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=335039>
by Bernama
The decision of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague to give Malaysia sovereignty over Middle Rocks proves that Singapore cannot act unilaterally, including in activities involving land reclamation, says deputy prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

**** Muhyiddin Asks The People To Accept ICJ's Decision <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=335036>
by Bernama
International trade and industry minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin calls on the people to accept the split decision by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) Friday which gave sovereignty over Pulau Batu Puteh to SIngapore. "Hopefully, Singapore will not be arrogant over the latest decision on Pulau Batu Puteh," he said.

**** Pulau Batu Puteh Issue, Malaysia Priased For SOlving It Amicably <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=335045>
by Bernama
Despite being a country very much larger than Singapore, Malaysia had been sincere from the beginning to solve hte issue peacefully and amicably, head of the Department of Political Science, International Islamic University Malaysia assistant professor Dr Wahabuddin Ra'ees said.
"I hope that the SIngapore government will not regard the decision on Batu Puteh as an opening for them to ride rough shot over Malaysia's sovereign rights on other bilateral issues," said president of the INternational Movement for a Just World, Dr Chandra Muzaffar.

**** Pengerang Fishermen Will Abide By Decision On Pulau Batu Puteh <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=335047>
by Bernama
The Pengerang Fishermen's Association will abide by the decision of the International Court of Justice that gave Singapore sovereignty over Pulau Batu Puteh. Its chairman Abu Bakar Mohamad said the fishermen would go on with their lives as usual and would respect Singapore's ownership of the island although they were rather disappointed with the decision.

**** Malaysia Loses Pulau Batu Puteh Not Due To Weak Arguments, Says Rais <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=335064>
by Nor Faridah A. Rashid, Bernama
"The fact that we have lost Pulau Batu Puteh is not due to the weakness of our arguments but to the lack of exercise by the authorities (on that island) for some 100 years," foreign minister Datuk Seri Rais Yatim told Malaysian journalists.
Rais said that while Pulau Batu Puteh was the significant material where the HOrsburgh Lighthouse had been built and the administration done by Singaore, "we should also tell the publi cin Malaysia that we also won Middle Rocks which is so close."
"Of course in terms of area we have less than what it is compared to Pulau Batu Puteh but nonetheless, because of the adjacent position of these two units neither party can do any exercise of reclamation for anything without consultation," he said.

**** Victory???? <http://white-analyst.blogspot.com/2008/05/victory.html>
by White-Analyst
Malaysia is not behaving like a big country, they are trying to destroy Singapore... Let us remember that today as the most humiliating day of the Republic of Singapore, the day we fail to protect our land despite overseeing them for 130 years.

**** We Get Pedra, You Get The Middle... <http://jimmyliew.org/archives/2008/05/we-get-pedra-you-get-the-middl.php>
by Unabridged Excerpts

**** Pulau Batu Puteh A.K.A. Horsburgh <http://borneotip.blogspot.com/2008/05/pulau-batu-puteh-aka-horsburgh.html>
by Borneo Tips
With Singapore cointinuing to manage the island, one can be assured that it will be well maintained and security around the area be assured.

**** We Lost Our Sovereignty <http://chromosome.wordpress.com/2008/05/23/we-lost-our-sovereignty/>
by Malaysia's Chromosome

**** Condolences To BN Federal Government Of Malaysia! <http://mahaguru58.blogspot.com/2008/05/condolences-to-bn-federal-government-of.html>
by Mahaguru58
Our foreign minister tries to paint the picture as a 'win win' situation. Hahahahahahahaha!!!

**** Goodbye Pulau Batu Putih... <http://rockybru.blogspot.com/2008/05/goodbye-pulau-batu-putih.html>
by Rocky's Bru

**** Pedra Branca: Malaysia Won 2 Piece Of Land, Singapore Only 1 Tiny Portion <http://maverickysm.blogspot.com/2008/05/pedra-branca-malaysia-won-2-piece-of.html>
by Cakap Tak Serupa Bikin
Two is surely more than one! Positive thinking! Positive belief! Positive writing! Constructive and motivating journalism! Positive Message! Malaysian values!