[MyAppleMenu] May 25, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 25 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Microsoft's Office 2008 Has A Flavor Of Apple <http://www.sunherald.com/business/story/583002.html>
by James Derk, Scripps Howard News Service
The most striking thing to me is how much Office 2008 has adopted the look and feel of OS X and how much it feels like an Apple product instead of a Microsoft product ported to Apple hardware.

**** MediaCentral 2.8 Now Supports Live TV <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/05/24/equinux.mediacentral.28/>
by MacNN

**** The Next Three Points About MacBook Air <http://jamesfallows.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/05/the_next_three_points_about_ma.php>
by James Fallows, THe Atlantic

**** The Road To TapeDeck 1.0 <http://www.supermegaultragroovy.com/blog/2008/05/14/the-road-to-tapedeck-10/>
by SUperMegaUltraGroovy

**** Web Users 'Getting More Selfish' <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7417496.stm>
by BBC News

**** Witness For The Transit <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/books/review/Burt2-t.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Stephen Burt, New York Times
Many poets try to sound tough, or masculine, or self-conscious about manhood, and fail miserably: what qualities let Kleinzahler succeed?

**** Pot Luck <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/magazine/25food-t-001.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Lara Vapnyar, New York Times
What I still really wanted was a magic pot that could produce any food I fantasized about.

**** Malay VIllage's Demise: 'It's Time' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_240898.html>
by Tan Dawn Wei and Nur Dianah Suhaimi, Straits Times
After years of being branded a 'white elephant', the death knell has finally sounded for the Malay VIllage in Geylang Serai.

**** English Test For Foreign Front-Line Staff? Bosses Say 'No' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_240905.html>
by Jamie Ee Wen Wei and Dhany Osman, Straits Times

**** Politicians And Activists Both Have A Role In Singapore <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/05/politicians-and-activists-both-have.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
It would be much less distracting if Chee didn't appear to be doing that to win votes at the polls.

**** Pedra Branca Is Useless <http://www.infernalramblings.com/articles/Malaysian_Politics/743/>
by Infernal Ramblings
If you ask me, Malaysians are far too obsessed with petty and irrelevant things like Singapore.

**** Singapore Prime Minister Expected To Testify In High Court Case <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/207759,singapore-prime-minister-expected-to-testify-in-high-court-case.html>
by DPA
It will mark the first time any leader of the ruling People's Action Party has been cross-examined by a political opponent in open court, political analysts noted.

**** After 18 Years, Kadir's Search For Letter Still Goes On <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/25/nation/21347133&sec=nation>
by Choi Tuck Wo, The Star
It's been 18 years, and ambassador-at-large Tan Sri Abdul Kadir Mohamad is still searching for a crucial letter that could have helped to shed light on sovereignty involving Pulau Batu Puteh.

**** Doing It The Asean Way <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/Columns/2249607/Article/index_html>
by New Straits Times
Singapore's foreign ministry said the country would "put this issue behind us and move on to strenghten our bilateral and regional co-operation." This is the Asean way to solving disputes, with respect for international law and a commitment to settling disagreements in an amicable manner.

**** Johor Wants Maritime Boundaries Drawn Up Fast <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/National/2249648/Article/index_html>
by New Straits Times
DAP chairman Karpal Singh qustioned how Pulau Batu Puteh could be awarded to Singapore when it was much nearer to the tip of Johor compared with Singapore.
"Malaysia should not have been judged by the ICJ unless it was confident of a win. The decision may lead to other disputes of a maritime nature between Malaysia and Singapore."

**** SM Goh Commends Calm Reaction Over Pedra Branca Judgement <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/349885/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia
Goh Chok Tong said the calm reaction shows a level of maturity in relations between Malaysia and Singapore and that augurs well for the future.

**** Don't Go To Middle Rocks Yet, Police Warn Malaysians <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/25/nation/21359829&sec=nation>
by The Star
Federal marine police commander senior asst comm II Isa Munir said the decision whether to allow people to go there had yet to be made. He added that Malaysia and Singpaore had to several issues over Middle Rocks before people could have access there.

**** Folding Bikes On MRT And Buses: Trial Begins <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2008/05/folding-bikes-o.html>
by mrbrown
The hours that foldies are allowed under the current trial means people who go to work and og home at regular office hours will not be able to take advantage of the changes.

**** Where Are We Now With Stem Cell Research? <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-885.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
With stem cell research in Singapore now becoming virtually all government-funded, and after spending S$500 million in building Biopolis, the science park dedicated to biomedical sciences, with millions more on personnel and operating costs, the question of accountability to the public takes on greater importance.

**** Review: A Nation Under Lee <http://nbnl.globalwhelming.com/2008/05/24/review-a-nation-under-lee/>
by No Buns No Life

**** Pedra Branca Stays With Singapore And Its Implication <http://miragew1.blogspot.com/2008/05/pedra-branca-stays-with-singapore-and.html>
by What Is Blog?
What is does do is merely confirmed that Singapore can push forward its plan to do what she knows best - reclamation!