[MyAppleMenu] May 23, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri May 23 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Review: The New 17-In. MacBook Pro Wins Over A Skeptic <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9087318&source=rss_topic12>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
If you are someone who works with video, graphics or music for a living and you need a portable workspace, thenyou have to check out this laptop. Even if media work is something you only do as a hobby or if you're just eyeing a portable with an amazing display for movies or games, this machine is well worth a look. You may decide that it's still bigger than you need. Or you may find, as I did, that your assumptions about size and weight pale in comparison to the solid design, stunning screen and ample processing power available on Apple's biggest laptop.

**** Dear Steve Jobs, Thanks For The Magnets! <http://blackalligator.blogspot.com/2008/05/dear-steve-jobs-thanks-for-magnets.html>
by Black, Alligator
So, basically, there is a magnet inside the earbuds and inside the screen of my macbok...

**** Judge Says N.Y. Pension Fund Can't Sue Apple <http://www.nysun.com/business/judge-says-ny-pension-fund-cant-sue-apple/76867/>
by Joseph Goldstein, New York Sun

**** Five Reasons Why An Apple Tablet Makes Sense Now <http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37595/113/>
by Christian Zibreg, TG Daily

**** Apple iPhone: Data Fears Over Second-Hand iPhones <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/05/22/dlapple122.xml>
by Telegraph
iPhone owners who are considering selling their handsets through auction sites sucha s eBay have been warned that their phones may still contain personal information. Carryng out a full "restore" of the iPhone through iTunes is not enough, according to security experts.

**** Apple Slides On Vague Rumors Of 3G iPhone Delay <http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/05/22/apple-slides-on-vague-rumors-of-3g-iphone-delay/?mod=BOLBlog>
by Eric Savitz, Barrons
One trading source tells me there are "rumors of a rumor" of a 3G delay.
/You know, Apple had been so good in shutting down leaks that we don't get decent rumors anymore./

**** iPhone Survivor: Traveling Without A Laptop <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9625>
by Rich Mogull, TidBITS
If I truly wanted to challenge myself I'd keep the laptop and try to survive without the iPhone.

**** Following Death Of Founder, MacMinute Calls It Quits <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/05/22/following-death-of-founder-macminute-calls-it-quits>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

**** Macbook Air <http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/content_display/reviews/e3ic8cebb424120f3a5fb66d8974c1e53fa>
by David Schloss, PDN Gear Guide
It won't be my main photographic tool as the horsepower isn't quite there for the demands of high-end editing work, but it's handy to have for simpler tasks, and I predict it's going to become a constant companion on future flights.

**** Psystar Skates On Thin Ice <http://www.macworld.com/article/133570/2008/05/psystar.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
By distributing Apple's own software on their site, Psystar has stepped over a large legal line&mdash;one that it really should have done its best to stay well away from.

**** The Library In The New Age <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/21514>
by Robert Darnton, New York Review Of Books
Information is exploding so furiously around us and information technology is changing at such bewildering speed that we face a fundamental problem: How to orient ourselves in the new landscape? What, for example, will become of research libraries in the face of technological marvels such as Google?

**** Her Father, His Secrets, Herself <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/23/books/23book.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Jennifer Schuessler, New York Times
Listening to his impassioned sermon at an AIDS memorial service, Ms. Moore, then unaware of his secret life, recalls thinking: "Here is where I can come to find my father's love." This brave book is a testament to her own love for him.

**** The Question Of Global Warming <http://www.nybooks.com/articles/21494>
by Freeman Dyson, New York Review Of Books
This fact, that the exchange of carbon between atmosphere and vegetation is rapid, is of fundamental importance to the long-range future of global warmin, as will become clear in what follows. Neither of the books under review mentions it.

**** Coming Down From The Trees <http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11412661&fsrc=RSS>
by The Economist
Appearances in the branches notwithstanding, Berkeley has changed.

**** Singapore Delegates Pleased With World Court Ruling On Pedra Branca <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/349649/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Prof Jayakumar said: "I think Malaysia and Singapore, by resolving this dispute in an amicable manner by recourse to the ICJ, or third-party dispute settlement, have in fact shown our peoples as well as the region that this is a way of resolving intractable issues, and I think it's a model for resolving other issues."

**** MFA Says ICJ's Judgement On Pedra Branca Brings Closure <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/349633/1/.html>
by Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia
Sigapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said it is pleased with the judgement of the International Court of Justice (ICJ), which awarded sovereignty of the Pedra Branca island to Singapore on Friday.
But the minstry said the judgement is not totally in SIngapore's favour as the court has awarded Middle Rocks to Malaysia. Even though Singapore had argued that these features are part of Pedra Branca, MFA said it accepts the court's decision.

**** ICJ Verdict A Win-Win Outcome For Malaysia And Singapore, Says Rais <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=335000>
by Bernama
"This morning's decision is a 'win-win' outcome to both sides. The ICJ decided based on historical facts and international law as well as administrative implications and other related matters.
"... the court decided to award sovereignty to Singapore but at the same time awarded sovereignty over Middle Rocks to Malaysia. This is a victory for Malaysia as well," foreign minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim said.

**** ICJ Rules For Singapore On Islet Dispute With Malaysia <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jK-xhWp1PYDrBjY03yzPKS778R2A>
by AFP
The International Court of Justice ruled Friday in favour of Singapore in a 28-year sovereignty dispute with Malaysia over a tiny but strategic uninhabited island the size of half a football field.
The granite island is considered important for its strategic position and impact on territorial marine boundaries.

**** ICJ Awards Pedra Branca's Sovereignty To Singapore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/349592/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The International Court of Justice (ICJ) at The Hague in the Netherlands has awarded sovereignty over Pedra Branca island to Singapore, while the sovereignty of Middle Rocks has been awarded to Malaysia.
As for the island's other maritime feature, South Ledge, Awn Shawkat Al-Khasawneh, the acting president of International Court of Justice, said: "The Court has not been mandated by the parties to draw the line of delimitation with respect to the territorial waters of Malaysia and Singapore in the area in question. In these circumstances, the court concludes that for the reasons explained above, sovereignty over South Ledge, as a low tide elevation, belongs to the State in the territorial waters of which it is located."
See Also: Case Concerning Sovereignty Over Pedra Branca/Pulau Batu Puteh, Middle Rocks And South Ledge (Malaysia/Singapore): Judgment <http://www.icj-cij.org/docket/files/130/14492.pdf?PHPSESSID=d2db509cc4cc56c0ebc3f48c1b363350>, by International Court of Justice. (Note: PDF document.)

**** We're Prepared To Listen, Says Government <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-884.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
The subliminal message is this: The government wants you to open your mouth, but when you do, they will wave a big stick over your head. They also reserve the right to dismiss your ideas with contempt as soon as they have made a moral judgement about your honesty and sincerity.

**** Singapore Property Prices Have Peaked - Government <http://in.reuters.com/article/asiaCompanyAndMarkets/idINSP21081920080523>
by Jan Dahinten and Saeed Azhar, Reuters
Singapore's booming property market has peaked and will continue to moderate over the next two years, the country's trade ministry said on Friday.

**** Caning As A Form Of Punishment <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/05/caning-as-form-of-punishment.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

**** The Charge Of The Chee Brigade <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/05/the-charge-of-the-chee-brigade/>
by The Online Citizen

**** Singapore's Waste Problem <http://onelesscar.wordpress.com/2008/05/23/singapores-waste-problem/>
by One Less Car
I doubt that a substantial proportion of Singaporeans 'understand and accept' the incineration situation. Most of them just consume and throw their waste without a thought to how it is being disposed of.

**** Singaproe's GDP Grows Less Than Estimated; CPI Jumps <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=aKsH01Awy16c&refer=home>
by Shamim Adam and Jean Chua, Bloomberg
Singapore's economy expanded less than initially estimated in the first quarter, adding to concerns growth may ease in the coming months as global demand weakens and inflation accelerates.
Gross domestic product increased 6.7 percent in the first three months of the year from a year earlier, less than the gvoernment's April 10 estimate of 7.2 percent, the trade ministry said in a statement today. Inflation soared to a 26-year high of 7.5 percent last month, a separate report showed.

**** MDA Bans Two Video-Sharing Porn Sites <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_240112.html>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times
Singapore's two most popular pornographic websites, both of which allow users to uplaod porn videos for others to watch, have been banned here.
MDA restricts access to 100 'mass-impact objectionable websites as a symbolic statement of our core societal values', MDA senior assistant director for media policy Jason Hoong said in an e-mail reply to The Straits Times.

**** Seagrasses On The East Coast? <http://wildfilms.blogspot.com/2008/05/seagrasses-on-east-coast.html>
by Wildfilms

**** Singapore's Economy Grows At Fastest Since 2005 <http://www.cnbc.com/id/24783171>
by Reuters

**** Singapore's Q1 GDP Grows At Annualized 14.6% <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/349516/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Singapore's economy expanded at a slower-than-expected annualised rate of 14.6 per cent in the first quarter from the fourth in a seasonally adjusted and annualised basis.

**** Be Calm And Mature In Accepting ICJ Decision, Says Rais <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=334811>
by Bernama
"(There is) the need for our Malaysian society to be calm and mature about it so as not to translate this into a political upheaveal either way," foreign minister Datuk Seri Rais Yatim told journalists. "This is very important."

**** Long Wait For Verdict On Island <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/23/nation/21339453&sec=nation>
by Gladys Tay, The Star
Fishermen in Pengerang are keeping their fingers crossed that the Pulau Batu Puteh verdict will be in Malaysia's favour. They have been prevented from fishing in the area for the past 20 years due to Malaysia and Singapore's overlapping claims on the island.

**** U Of I Creating Singapore Research Center <http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-uofi-singapore,0,2533027.story>
by Associated Press
The University of Illinois plans to expand its reach in Asia with a new digital-science research center in Singapore.

**** 'Be Strict Like Singapore' <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/5/23/parliament/21337079&sec=parliament>
by Roslina Mohamad, The Star
"In Malaysia, we just let them be and due to some bloggers, people tend to believe unfounded articles as the truth," said mentri besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob.

**** Campaign The Singapore Government To Stop Producing Cluster Bombs <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/05/campaign-the-singapore-government-to-stop-producing-cluster-bombs/>
by The Online Citizen
Singapore remains not having subscribed to the Wllington Declaration which affirms the countries' "objective of concluding the negotiation of such an instrument prohibiting cluster munitions that cuase unacceptable harm to civilians'.
See Also:
Cluster Munitions And International Humanitarian Law <http://www.icrc.org/eng/cluster-munitions>, by International Committee of the Red Cross.
'Circle Of Impact', Report On The Human Impact Of Cluster Bombs <http://en.handicapinternational.be/index.php?action=article&numero=467&PHPSESSID=f60cf971ac6dee500a0ad9b84daf52dd/>, by Handicap International.

**** From Singapore To HK Disneyland <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,165482,00.html?>
by Karen Wong, New Paper
Disneyland Hong Kong has cast its net in Singapore for drama and dance graduates to star in its stage shows.

**** Chee's 'Delaying Tactics' Under Fire <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/255361.asp>
by Today
Opposition politician Chee Soon Juan is employing delaying tactics to avoid the assessment of damages hearing next week, said minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew's press secretary yesterday.