[MyAppleMenu] Aug 14, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 14 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple Faithful Snared In Phishing Scam Targeting Mac.com Users <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/13/phishers_attack_mac_faithful/>
by Dan Goodin, The Register
Data obtained by CardCops, a credit protection service owned by the Affinion Group, shows sensitive information belonging to several hundred people with Mac.com email addresses being traded in underground forums frequented by identity thieves.

**** Apple's Crap Store <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2328017,00.asp>
by Sascha Segan, PC Magazine
If this is the state of software development today, we should all worry.

**** The Really Annoying iPhone App Update Behaviour <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2008/08/14/the-really-annoying-iphone-app-update-behaviour/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald
When you go to update an application, rather than replacing the existing one, the iPhone deletes them and downloads the updated version, putting it at the first available free spot on a page.
/From the OS X Finder to iPhone, spatial representation seems to be an lost art at Apple./

**** 'It Has Certainly Changed The Game' <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080814.RAPPS14/TPStory/Business>
by Matt Hartley, Globe And Mail
Apple has scored a $30-million hit with its App store as iPhone users embrace personalization and developers reap the benefits. With such a head start, can the competition catch up?

**** Box Office Returns To The App Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/135001/2008/08/boxoffice.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Chandler 1.0 Is A Serious, But Rough, To-Do Manager <http://lifehacker.com/400228/chandler-10-is-a-serious-but-rough-to+do-manager>
by Lifehacker
There's a lot of neat ideas in Chandler, implemented in rough ways, and if you're a serious to-do hound, it ust might find a place somewhere in your work flow.

**** Talking Points: The iPhone's Impact In Japan <http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/blog/eyeonasia/archives/2008/08/talking_points.html>
by Kenji Hall, BusinessWeek
The fact that Softbank was willing to sell the iPhone suggests that Softbank wants to be an agent for change.

**** Apple Now Worth More Than Google <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/08/apple_now_worth.html>
by Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek
At the close of the stock market on Wednedsay, Apple's value as a company surpassed Google's. Apple's market capitalization reached $158.84 billion; Google's settled at $157.23 billion.

**** No One Hurt During Last Night's Apple HQ Fire <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/08/13/no-one-hurt-during-last-nights-apple-hq-fire>
by Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

**** First Look: Headline 1.0, RSS Feed Reader <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/08/13/headline.10/>
by MacNN

**** When Apple's Reach Exceeds Its Grasp <http://www.macworld.com/article/134970/2008/08/apple_overwhelmed.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
So the question is, what does Apple do now? There are a couple general paths it could choose to go down. It could aggressively step up its growth and recruitment efforts, so that it has enough people to implement all of its great ideas (a plan that risks diluting Apple's carefully selected pool of talent). It could stay the size it is now, more or less, and execute well on somewhat less ambitious plans.
/I would like to see Apple forge more meaningful partnerships. MobileMe could well be a joint effort with Google or Yahoo, for example./
See Also: When Apple's Reach Exceeds Its Grasp <http://daringfireball.net/linked/2008/08/13/snell>, by John Gruber, Daring Fireball. I think Jason Snell overemphasizes the importance of Apple's "size".

**** Is The Kindle EBook Reader Becoming Amazon's iPod? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/aug/14/amazon.kindle>
by Jack Schofield, The Guardian
Yes, but perhaps only after it becomes a newspaper reader.

**** Scratches <http://www.tnr.com/booksarts/story.html?id=06e305a5-5ea7-4e97-b283-fb2016460cfd>
by Leon Wieseltier, The New Republic
The view that everything is changing for the better is marketing propaganda&mdash;Google progressivism.

**** Education Must Evolve <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_268038.html>
by Amelia Tan, Straits Times
In a speech at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy on Thursday, education minister Ng Eng Hen spelt out new challenges for the system. Top of the list, he said, is raising the number of teachers, and getting more with higher qualifications, to develop students.

**** More Cycling Signs Put Up <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_268023.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
More signs alerting drivers to cyclists on the road will be put up from next Monday. Avid cyclist and Safe Cyclists Task Force member Leo Tan said the signs 'stand as symbolic recognition by the state that motorists must share the roads with cyclists.'

**** The Culture Openness Of Singapore <http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2008/08/The-cultural-openness-of-Singapore.aspx>
by Malcolm Cook, The Interpreter
The more often I heard these culturalist argument the less convincing they sounded and the more I thought they told me more about the observer than the observed.

**** The Singapore-Donald Duck Axis <http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/2008/08/the-Singapore-Donald-Duck-axis.aspx>
by Sam Roggeveen, The Interpreter
'Disneyland with the death penalty' does get across some of the sheer creepiness of Singapore &mdash; its sense of officially enforced good cheer masking a slightly sinister authoritarianism.

**** Moronism Part 132456565477976876.................. <http://empty-vessels.blogspot.com/2008/08/moronism-part-132456565477976876.html>
by Empty_vessels
What Singaproeans should start scrutinising is the one thing that they /do/ have a problem with and ask ourselves if we do too.

**** Metered Internet, According To SPH
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
It will be interesting for the coming months to watch how SPH &mdash; through Straits Times and Business Times, for example &mdash; report on the issue of unlimited bandwidth and metered internet by our local ISPs. Why? Because SPH now has a stake in the issue: it will want unlimited bandwidth so that you and me will go onto the internet and watch Razor.tv instead of Channel NewsAsia.

**** Inflation Should Be Main Focus For Singapore - IMF <http://in.reuters.com/article/asiaCompanyAndMarkets/idINN1347845420080813>
by Lesley Wroughton, Reuters
Containing mounting inflation pressures should be a priority for Singapore's authorities as economic activity is slowed by a global downturn, the International Monetary Fund said on Wednesday.

**** Who's Hardest Hit In Heartlands? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/270782.asp>
by Today
When it comes to money woes, the hardest hit are those living in four-room HDB flats. Senior minister of state for trade and industry, Mr S Iswaran, noted that the Housing Development Board now conducts credit assessments, "something we should have done from the start."
/It was the government's decision to stop building 3-room flats earlier on. Is it any wonder that many people, who are 'forced' to go for a 4-room flat may have money trouble?/

**** MM Lee Says Singapore Has Shock Absorbers To Buffer Setbacks <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/367750/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia
"We have an economy which is diversified. We have a workforce that we have upgraded year by year, better educated, better able to earn more because we are connected with the world and our incomes can rise because of our higher skills and higher technology."

**** Separating The Wheat From The Chaff <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=443>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
In my view, the PAP does not treat citizens as shareholders or partners, but as mere employees in a corporation whose sole purpose is to beef up the company's profit statement and balance sheet.