[MyAppleMenu] Aug 15, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 15 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Why Not Make The iPhone More Accessible? <http://www.it-director.com/business/change/content.php?cid=10678>
by Peter Abrahams, IT-Director.com
How could the iPhone be made more accessible without a complete redesign?

**** iMac Performance Evolves Through The Years <http://www.macworld.com/article/135028/2008/08/imac_benchmarks.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by James Galbraith, Macworld
Just how much has it evolved? In honor of the iMac's 10th anniversary, we decided to use Macworld Lab's collection of older iMacs to find out.

**** Eight Ways The iMac Changed Computing <http://www.macworld.com/article/135017/2008/08/imacanniversary.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Benj Edwards, Macworld
Initially marketed as an easy-to-use gateway to the internet, the iMac transcended that simple role and redefined the desktop PC market&mdash;not to mention consumer industrial design&mdash;forever.

**** Sega Eye Off iPhone <http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20054/532/>
by Mike Bantick, iTWire
"Direct consumer devliery is where it's going, as Apple has prove," said Sega of America president Simon Jeffery. "We're in a really good position and see it as a viable platform."

**** A Nice Tidy End To The Options Backdating Scandal <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/08/a_nice_tidy_end.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
What is clear that everyone directly involved in this scandal is probably having a celebratory drink tonight.

**** 10 Years Of Cuddly, Friendly iMacs <http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/multimedia/2008/08/gallery_imac_anniversary>
by Benj Edwards, Wired
Apple released its first iMac on Aug. 15, 1998. The cute, translucent blue, all-in-one PC was easily the most influential personal computer of the 1990s, heralding a return to simplicity and ease of use and briefly sparking an industrial design fad around clear, colored plastic.

**** Review: Parallels Server For Mac Underwhelms <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9112627&source=rss_topic123>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld

**** Imagining A New iTunes <http://www.macworld.com/article/135014/2008/08/imaginenewitunes.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
iTunes has moved to the point where it could present a formidable challenge to a non-technical user.

**** Former Apple Executive Settles Backdating Charges <http://www.macworld.com/article/135012/2008/08/heinen.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
The Securities and Exchange Commission said on Thursday that it had reached a settlement with Nancy Heinen, former general counsel of Apple.

**** WireTap Anywhere Lets You Redirect Mac Audio <http://www.macworld.com/article/135011/2008/08/wta.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
WireTap Anywhere enables you to take the audio output from any Mac application or hardware input device and redirect it to your favorite audio recording application.

**** Swift 3D V5.0 Adds Universal Binary, Rendering Speed <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/08/14/swift.3d.speeds.intel.ppc/>
by MacNN
Electric Rain has released a universal binary of Swift 3D 5.0 and also added performance gains to the 3D-rendering application.

**** Open Source Copyrights Legally Enforceable, Appeals Court Rules <http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/open_source/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210004154>
by Paul McDougall, InformationWeek

**** A Brilliant Idea At Harvard <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2008/08/14/aBrilliantIdeaAtHarvard.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
What if you couldn't see what other people said for 24 hours.

**** The Man Behind Woody Allen <http://www.thecommonreview.org/spotlight.html>
by Lennard Davis, The Common Review
Can we really think seriously about the bespectacled, neurotic schlemiel who stumbles through /Take the Money and Run/ (1969) or /Bananas/ (1971) as the true heir to the Western intellectual tradition?

**** Ever Thine. Ever Mine: How Romantic Are Today's Authors <http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/ever-thine-ever-mine-how-romantic-are-todays-authors-896988.html>
by Emma Hagestadt, The Independent
The latest collection of historical love letters show sthat authors were a romantic lot. But are today's writers as handy with a pen?

**** Literary Soul Mates Or Authors Who Were Polar Opposites? <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/books/15book.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Michiko Kakutani, New York Times
David Lebedoff attempts to argue that George Orwell and Evelyn Waugh, apparently polar opposites, were in fact soul mates.

**** The Cities Of Our Dreams <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121875795362542711.html?mod=rss_Books>
by Thomas Meaney, Wall Street Journal
In a world where cities are on the rise, where the world is, in many respects, becoming a city, it behooves our leading architectural critics to structure our pressing needs into a solid argument. But Mr Kingwell has given us sketches when we need blueprints and reveries when we need concrete.

**** Facial Frontier <http://www.nationalpost.com/story-printer.html?id=15a16cb3-076e-41d1-bbd4-f13edbc8b281>
by Robert Fulford, National Post
The human face can reveal much about a person&mdash;whether they like it or not.

**** Singaore's Floating Football Pitch <http://fantasyfootball.timesonline.co.uk/singapores-floating-football-pitch>
by The Times

**** Lost In Singapore <http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/lost-in-singapore/>
by Chris Guillebeau, The Art Of Nonconformity
This is the story in which I am provided a geographical tour of Singaporean prostitutes, reflect on the biggest travel month of my life, and sleep in Changi airport prior to heading back to Hong Kong on the ultimate no-frills airline.

**** The Devil, Chua Lee Hoong &amp; Harry Lee <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/08/devil-chua-lee-hoong-harry-lee.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
Do "they" really hate us? Is anyone really out to "do us in"? Is there really a "conspiracy" going on?

**** Educating The Next Generation <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/08/educating-the-next-generation/>
by Lee Song Kwang, The Online Citizen

**** Education - The Government Still Doesn't Get It <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/08/education-government-still-doesnt-get.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
It really doesn't take a genius to come up with a plan like "hire more teachers" and "hire better people". My grandmother could have thought of that.

**** All Foreigners Entering Malaysia Must Fill In Immigration Cards <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/368334/1/.html>
by Chan Eu Imm, Channel NewsAsia
All foreigners entering Malaysia must fill in immigration embarkation cards starting Friday. This includes Singaporeans who're entering Malaysia via the Causeway and Second Link.

**** Meritocracy's Hidden Danger <http://www.straitstimes.com/Insight/Story/STIStory_268225.html>
by Zakir Hussain, Straits Times
If those who have gained from this system turn up their noses at those who lag behind, meritocracy as we know it today will not be the only victim. Disdain for the poor is the hidden danger that lurks in meritocracy.

**** Don't Sniff At Our Education System <http://www.straitstimes.com/Insight/Story/STIStory_268221.html>
by Clarissa Oon, Straits Times
Singaporeans tend to see only the flaws in our system, says Kishore Mahbubani. NUS is now a 'world-class university'.

**** Singapore-KL Express Buses To Offer Airline Food <http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_268235.html>
by Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times
Get ready to dig into airline food on the road. Express bus travellers will taste the benefits of competition as Singapore-Kuala Lumpur coach operators prepare for battle with budget airlines.

**** NMPs Table By-Election Debate In Parliament <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/271025.asp>
by Ansley Ng, Today
Law professor Thio Li-anna nd Raffles Medical Group CEO Loo Choon Yong want a writ for by-election to be issued if a minority MP in a Group Representation Constituency (GRC) vacates his or her seat, or if half or more of the GRC members do so.

**** Now Showing (On DVD And A Sinema) <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/270960.asp>
by Mayo Martin, Today
While some of Singapore's film-makers are enjoying a regular run in the big cinemas this month, others are moving on to Plan B. That means (a) releasing DVDs and (b) screening at an indie theatre.

**** Payback Time? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/08/payback-time/>
by Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen
Are we not, in a way, telling the whole world that we support the military junta?
Are we the only country to penalise Burmese protestors in such a manner?

**** Of Eggs And Baskets <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/08/of-eggs-and-baskets.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
Amidst all the fear-mongering about the opposition bogeyman, there was a silver of hope in what he said.

**** Walking The Line Between Stating The Obvious And Fear-Mongering: MM Lee's Favourite Propaganda Technique <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=455>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net