[MyAppleMenu] Jun 29, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 29 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** iPhone Under The Knife <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/06/29/apple-iphone-parts-tech-cx_rr_0629teardown.html?partner=rss>
by Rachel Rosmarin, Forbes
A few people in line for Apple's latest device has something a little more destructie in mind: They plan to tkae it apart.

**** iPhone Lines Grow Across Country <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/iphone-lines-grow-across-country/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge

**** Taiwan Hit By iPhone Craze <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/06/29/taiwan/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Nystedt, IDG News Service
The surrest sign marketing hype surrounding the iPhone has ountdone itself is that a small island on the Pacific rim is abuzz over the device, despie the fact it won't be on sale here until next year at the earliest.
See Also:
iPhone Launch Grabs Headlines In China <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/06/29/iPhone-launch-in-China_1.html>, by Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service.

**** AT&amp;T Quietly Bumps EDGE Network Speed <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=652>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** iTunes 7.3 Adds iPhone Integration, Apple TV Features <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/29/itunes.73.adds.iphone/>
by MacNN

**** Apple Posts "Finger Tips" <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/29/apple-posts-finger-tips/>
by Dan Pourhadi, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Demonstrating various iPhone functions and offering some pointers to make good use of your new multi-touch monster.

**** Macworld Awards 2007 - The Winners <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18422>
by Macworld UK
Each year Macworld's editors decide what the finest products of the last 12 months have been across different industry sectors; professional creative, consumer and Apple's own offerings.

**** The iPhone's Potential <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18990/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
Apple could do a lot more with all the sensors in the iPhone.

**** iPhone 'Surfing' On AT&amp;T Network Isn't Fast, Jobs Concedes <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118306134626851922.html>
by Nick Wingfield and Amol Sharma, Wall Street Journal
In an interview on the eve of the iPhone launch, Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs and AT&amp;T Inc. CEO and chairman Randall Stephenson addressed concerns that the device will have slow internet access on AT&amp;T's cellular network.
Mr Jobs acknowledged that the company's new iPhone won't surf the internet as fast as he would like on the network, called "Edge," but added that the device's ability to connect to wi-fi hotspots would give consumers a speedier alternative for web browsing.
See Also:
A Trade-Off On iPhone Data Speed <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/technology/29phone-web.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>, by John Markoff, New York Times.

**** Apple Releases MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0 <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/28/apple-releases-macbook-pro-software-update-1-0/>
by David Chartier, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** A Closer Look At Lightroom 1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/creative/2007/06/lightroom-update/index.php>
by Rick LePage, Macworld

**** Another Innovation At Apple: The Retail Strategy <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/another-innovation-apple-retail-strategy/story.aspx?guid=%7B41777421%2D01F8%2D47A6%2DA963%2D1FE9224D618B%7D&siteid=yhoof>
by John C. Dvorak, MarketWatch
Apple gets a lot of credit for nifty product design, but should actually be lauded for its successful foray into retail.

**** First Impressions Of Pathfinder <http://www.surfbits.com/?p=1202>
by David Sparks, SurfBits
Pathfinder is my Finder replacement. It is robust and bends to fit my needs.

**** Get On ScobleShow, Get Fired <http://scobleizer.com/2007/06/28/get-on-scobleshow-get-fired/>
by Robert Scoble, Scobleizer
Microsoft is changing its approach to PR. Why? Two words: Steve Jobs.

**** Steve Job Buries Radical Transparency <http://valleywag.com/tech/debunk/steve-jobs-buries-radical-transparency-273295.php>
by Valleywag
WHo wants a bunch of jargon-spouting geeks putting the word out?

**** iPhone 2.0 <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/06/28/iphone-revamp-jobs-tech-wire-cx_bc_0628techiphone.html?partner=rss>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes
You can bet Steve Jobs' already stirring up his minions as he prepares for his next performance: iPhone 2.0.

**** Steve Jobs: Free iPhone For Apple Employees <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/steve-jobs-free-iphones-for-apple-employees/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge
/I wonder will Apple employees outside of U.S. get iPhones too. And if so, how can they use the currently-AT&amp;T-only phone? A secret activation code that allows the iPhone to use with other mobile carriers?/

**** Jobs Explains Thinking Behind iPhone <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/28/jobs.on.iphone.strategy/>
by MacNN
See Also:
Internal Apple Stevenote: iPhone, iPods With OS X, And "Off The Charts" Macs In The Pipeline <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/06/28/internal-apple-stevenote-iphone-ipods-with-os-x-and-off-the-charts-macs-in-the-pipeline>, by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica.

**** AT&amp;T: iPhone SIM Cards Are Portable <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/28/iphone.return.and.repair/>
by MacNN

**** The Missing Sync For BlackBerry 1.0: New Syncing Software Shows Real Promise <http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/reviews/missingcync_bb/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
The Missing Sync for BlackBerry 1.0.1 certainly has room for improvement &mdash; it needs e-mail synchronization, Bluetooth support, and profile automation, to begin with &mdash; but it's light years ahead of the free option.

**** Apple On Board? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2007/tc20070627_208236.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_technology>
by Arik Hsseldahl, BusinessWeek
WIth both the iPhone and Apple TV running versions of OS X, rumors of an in-car navigation and infotainment system are not inconceivable.

**** The Cult Of THe Amateur <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/books/29book.html?adxnnl=1&ref=technology&adxnnlx=1183108462-1UNQuBHbJ0AhRykdGoUmLw>
by Michiko Kakutani, New York Times

**** Start-Ups Make Inroads With Google's Work Force <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118299113663550893.html>
by Kevin J. Delaney, Wall Street Journal
Google's magnetic pull on top Silicon Valley talent is showing signs of weakening.

**** Why Do Cats Hang Around Us? (Hint: They Can't Open Cans) <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/28/AR2007062802343.html?nav=most_emailed>
by David Brown, Washington Post
Your hunch is correct. Your cat decided to live with you, not the other way around. The sad truth is, it may not be a final decision.

**** Free Speech For The Rich And Powerful <http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2007/06/29/supreme_court/index_np.html>
by Garrett Epps, Salon
How the Roberts-led Supreme Court is setting the stage for bureaucrats to shape American culture from the top down.

**** Mommy Is Truly Dearest <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/fashion/28mommy.html?ex=1340683200&en=438e0600200f5ab2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Stephanie Rosenbloom, New York Times
There have always been close-knit mother-daughter relationships. But socia, demographic and technological changes have made it more common for adult daughters to keep their mothers' apron strings tied tighter &mdash; and longer, say researchers who study the transition into young adulthood.

**** Rupert Murdoch Speaks <http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1638182,00.html>
by Eric Pooley, Time
"They're taking five billion dollars out of me and want to keep control," Rupert Murdoch was saying into the phone, "in an industry in crisis! They can't sell their company and still control it &mdash; that's not how it works. I'm sorry!"

**** URA To Launch Leisure Plan To Open Up More Areas For Recreation <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/285301/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia
The Master Plan 2008 is about creating new memories by making Singapore a vibrant playground in the day and night.
One way is to develop the countryside into rural leisure spots.

**** Defining The Role Of Government And Its Component Branches <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/06/29/defining-the-role-of-government-and-its-component-branches/>
by Teh Kok Hua, theonlinecitizen
The constitution of Singapore has not established or clearly defined the respective rights of citizens and government.

**** Good Leaders Can Make A Difference <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2007/06/good-leaders-can-make-difference.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
I believe it is possible for NSmen (reservists) to put in their best effort into training, given the right leadership and guidance.

**** More Opposition To Defense Deal <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailheadlines.asp?fileid=20070629.B09&irec=8>
by Jakarta Post
Opposition is growing to Indoneisa and Singapore's defense cooperation agreement, with a senior lawmaker and retired servicemen coming out against the pact.

**** Where's My Farkin Piece Of The Singapore Pie? <http://sean-the-man.blogspot.com/2007/06/wheres-my-farkin-piece-of-singapore-pie.html>
by Sean-the-man
Is this what's called the rich getting richer, and the poor get kicked while they're down?

**** In Which The Author Ponders The End Of Arts <http://kar-wee.livejournal.com/9932.html>
by Misledirection
Eventually, we all have to choose &mdash; do we want entertaining safe art performances, or do we want something that might make us retch, stare in shock, and tsk tsk tsk our way home from the theatre?

**** These Authorities Do Not Have The Intention To Bear The Responsibilities <http://wltotransport.blogspot.com/2007/06/these-people-do-not-have-intention-to.html>
by Transport Related (One)
<It is> clearly an indication of trying to push the responsibilities to the general public.

**** Why Are The Public, Bus Drivers Treated Differently? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_133899.html>
by Chew Mun Kit, Straits Times

**** Cheque Payments: Banks Owe Duty Of Care <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_133900.html>
by Tan Yip Meng, Straits Times

**** The Peace Faction Has Got It Wrong <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-756.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
Countering religious extremism requires us not only to deal with extremism, but also with the "religious" end of the beast.

**** Land-Use Intensity: No Sudden Changes <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_133815.html>
by Lydia Lim, Straits Times
In the lead-up to next year's announcement of the master plan for Singapore's physical development, National Development minister Mah Bow Tan quashed expectations in some quarters that plot ratios are headed upwards, to make room for a future population of 6.5 million.

**** Swimming Lessons A Must In Schools? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_133891.html>
by Tracy Sua, Straits Times
The National Water Safety Council is currently talking to the Education Ministry and the Ministry for Community Development, Youth and Sports about making swimming lessons a part of school curriculum, Bukit Panjang member of parliament Teo Ho Pin said yesterday.