[MyAppleMenu] Jun 28, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jun 28 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Apple's Core Conspirators <http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/446569,CST-FIN-lew28.article>
by Lewis Lazare, Chicago Sun-Times
Some media members too willing to help turn the hype surrounding iPhone release into something that was even hyper.

**** iPhone: How Apple Created A Frenzy <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003765795_iphone28.html?syndication=rss>
by Tricia Duryee and Kristi Heim, Seattle Times

**** Welcome To Planet Apple <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2007/tc20070627_285624.htm>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
How the high-tech maverick became a global trendsetter.

**** A Better Way To Stream TV? <http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jun2007/gb20070627_046780.htm>
by Neal Sandler, BusinessWeek
In a model that could galvanize the net, Israeli startup Arootz says it can satisfy web video demand using multicasting and cheap hard drives.

**** iPhone: Jobs' Revenge <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2007/tc20070627_307422.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech>
by Adrian J. Slywotzky, BusinessWeek
A decade after Apple was pushed out of computing's mainstream, it's taking center stage in a host of other industries&mdash;with the iPhone.

**** Even After Apple, Designers Dig Jobs <http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jun2007/id20070627_004206.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech>
by Helen Walters and Reena Jana, BusinessWeek
Apple's design alumni agree: There's no easy formula for a design-driven business strategy. That takes a single-minded risk tker like, well... Steve Jobs.

**** Q&amp;A With Bruce "Tog" Tognazzini <http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jun2007/id20070627_642431.htm?campaign_id=rss_innovate>
by BusinessWeek
Tog Tognazini joined Apple in 1978 and worked at the company for 14 years. He explains why he thinks the iPhone will be a hit&mdash;and why Apple is so far ahead of the industry's other "giant noninnovators."

**** Apple Limits iPHones Sales To 2-Per-Person <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/28/apple.limits.iphones.sales/>
by MacNN
In addition, beginning Saturday morning, Apple will be offering customers free, in-depth workshops throughout the day at all Apple retail stores.

**** Apple Expo Paris 25-29 September <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18414>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Data Backup 3 <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/review.php?id=329>
by Rick Curran, MacNN

**** Gartner Urges IT To Embrace Devices But Resist iPhone <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/06/27/Gartner-urges-IT-to-embrace-devices-but-reject-iPhone_1.html>
by Matt Hamblen, Computerworld
Gartner is known for its comprehensive market research, but Wednesday, the firm produced two separate reports that could leave IT managers scratching their heads over whether to support Apple's iPhone.

**** The Pros And Cons Of iPhone Security <http://news.com.com/The+pros+and+cons+of+iPhone+security/2008-1029_3-6193430.html?tag=nefd.lede>
by Robert Vamosi, CNET News.com
Few people standing in line to buy an iPhone Friday will be focusing on the security of Apple's new phone. But some influential security researchers already have given the matter lots of thought.

**** Steve Jobs To Make A Rare Company-Wide Speech Tomorrow <http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/27/steve-jobs-to-make-a-rare-company-wide-speech-tomorrow/>
by Ryan Block, Engadget

**** Reader.mac.com <http://daringfireball.net/linked/2007/june#wed-27-reader>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
iPhone-only web-based RSS aggregator from Apple. No more making fun of Apple for not eating their own "web apps as iPhone SDK" dogfood.

**** Some Camp Out For The iPhone, Others Just Want To Make A Buck <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/27/AR2007062702749.html?hpid=topnews>
by Kim Hart, Washington Post

**** An iPod Has Global Value. Ask The (Many) Countries That Make It. <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/business/worldbusiness/28scene.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin>
by Hal R. Varian, New York Times
Who makes the Apple iPod? Here's a hint: It is not Apple. The company outsources the entire manufacture of the device to a number of Asian enterprises, among them Asustek, Inventec Appliances and Foxconn.
But this list of companies isn't a satisfactory answer either: They only do final assembly. What about the 451 parts that go into the iPod? Where are they made and by whom?

**** AT&amp;T Limits iPhone Sales To One Per Customer <http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2007/06/27/att-limits-iphone-sales-to-one-per-customer/>
by Kent Pribbernow, The iPhone Blog

**** The Mac With The iPhone <http://macapper.com/2007/06/27/the-man-with-the-iphone/>
by Miles Evans, MacApper
Many employees with access to the iPhone have been using them, often in public, with permission, since sometime in May.

**** Apple Posts A Boatload Of UPdates <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/27/apple-posts-a-boatload-of-updates/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** The End Of iPhone Innocence <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/06/ihnatkoiphone/index.php>
by Andy Ihnatko, Macworld
As for me, my elan has been dampened. My joie is nowhere near as vivre-ey as it once was, and I find that someone has gone and installed a screen door on my submarine.
Why? Because I have only a few more hours to lording it all over people that I've already used an iPhone and they haven't.
Damn.

**** Apple Confirms iPhone VPN Support, Headset-Charging Dock <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-confirms-iphone-vpn-support-headset-charging-dock/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge

**** Acting Up <http://daringfireball.net/2007/06/acting_up>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
It seems clear to me that the iPHone is not a new "act"; it's the natural extension of the third one.

**** A Year On, Cider Takes Mac Game World By Storm <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2007/06/cider/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
To help understand what Cider's continuing role is in the Mac game market, /Macworld/ recently spoke at length with the company's CEO, Vikas Gupta.

**** Analyst: Cost, iTunes Set iPhone Apart <http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/06/27.2.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer

**** Apple Retail Stores To Host Nationwide Employee Sleepover <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/27/apple_retail_stores_to_host_nationwide_employee_sleepover.html>
by Prince McLean, AppleInsider

**** Motion 3: 3-D, Paint And Motion-Tracking Features Add New Depth To Graphics Tool <http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/reviews/motion3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Kim, Macworld
By adding some new dimensions to the visuals Motion can produce, Apple has vastly expanded the value of its motion-graphics tool. It's a complement to Final Cut Pro for video processing, but it's finally looking like a serious motion-graphics contender in its own right.

**** Saft 8.3.12 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/06/saft/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
I feel it's well worth its $12 cost of entry&mdash;especially if you spend a lot of time browsing the web in Safari.

**** iPhone Returns And Cancellation Policies <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/27/iphone-returns-and-cancellation-policies/>
by Eric Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
The iPhone return policy won't be nearly as friendly.

**** Handwritten Passwords <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18986/>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review
Analyzing script could ease the strain on people's memories.

**** Microsoft Entering The Low-Cost PC Sales Biz; First Stop India <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070627-microsoft-testing-pc-sales-in-india.html>
by Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

**** FTC Shoots Down Net Neutrality, Says It Is Not Needed <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070627-ftc-shoots-down-net-neutrality-says-it-is-not-needed.html>
by Ken Fisher, Ars Technica
The Federal Trade Commission today dealt a serious blow to "Net Neutrality" proponents as it issued a report dismissive of claims that the government needs to get involved in preserving the fairness of networks in the United States.

**** The Big Picture, Made Easy <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18974/>
by Duncan Graham-Rowe, MIT Technology Review
New softare makes it easier to manipulate and share images.

**** Meet The Neighbours: Is The Search For Aliens Such A Good Idea? <http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/article2702529.ece>
by David Whitehouse, Independent
We've been trying to make contact with aliens for years. Now the day is fast approaching when we might finally succeed. But will our extraterrestrial friends come in peace? Or will they want to eat us?

**** Telling A 'Fish' Story <http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2007/06/27/telling_a_fish_story/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Food+stories>
by Alison Arnett, Boston Globe
An almost mystical intensity suffuses Trevor Corson's face as he takes a bite of madai (red sea bream) sushi. He closes his eyes to concentrate. Then he reaches for a curl of toro over vinegared rice. "It's like the cherry blosoms falling," he says, "so transient that you just want to capture that moment."

**** IRAS To Pay Interest If Tax Refunds Are Issued Late <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/285050/1/.html>
by Foo Siew Shyan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Many Issues About UNSW Asia Unresolved As School Shuts On Friday <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/285051/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

**** The Sad State Of Wireless at SG <http://james.seng.sg/archives/2007/06/28/the_sad_state_of_wirelesssg.html>
by James Seng
Finding a functioning Wireless at SG is as rare as striking lottery.

**** Clementi Ave 1 Identified For En-Bloc Redevelopment Scheme <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/285020/1/.html>
by Jacqueline Seng, Channel NewsAsia

**** Jurong, Paya Lebar Designated As New Business Hubs <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/284996/1/.html>
by Daryl Loo, Channel NewsAsia
Jurong and Paya Lebar have been designated as new business hubs under the upcoming Master Plan 2008 review.
The new hubs are seen as part of the long-term answer to the current office space crunch.

**** Singapore Leads World In Growth Of Wealth <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070628.RWEALTH28/TPStory/Business>
by Tim Mclaughlin, Reuters
Merrill Lynch &amp; co. and Capgemini released the wealth report, which showed the largest growth of high-net-worth individuals happening in Singapore and India.

**** Remuneration Disclosures A Weakness Among Singapore Companies <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_business.php?id=269897>
by Bernama
Remuneration disclosures and policies for directors and senior executive have been identified as "a significant area of weakness" among Singapore companies, according to a study on corporate governance of listed companies here.

**** Singapore Has Least Red Tape <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=269935>
by Jackson Sawatan, Bernama
Singapore ranks as the country that causes the least frustration due to red tape when doing business, according to the latest Grant Thornton International Business Report.

**** Editor: ST Will Fight Bids To Name Sources <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_133563.html>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times
The editor of The Straits Times (ST) yesterday said this newspaper had done all it could to protect the identity of unnamed sources in its reports.
Mr Han Fook Kwang added that although two journalists &mdash; including one from ST &mdash; recently compiled with a court order to name their source, there should not be a 'chilling effect' on the ability of Singapore journalists to obtain information.

**** Hit By Cyclist On Jogging Path <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_133473.html>
by Elvin Tan Meng Tee, Straits Times
To the MP who had suggested allowing cyclists on footpaths, I have this piece of thought for her: Your suggestion is not a novelty. It could turn out to be a tragedy.

**** Market Forces Determne Taxi Fares <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_133572.html>
by Naleeza Ebrahim, Land Transport Authority, Straits Times
Taxi fares and surcharges are set by the taxi companies, and not the Land Transport Authority (LTA). Nevertheless, LTA has and will continue to facilitate and work with the industry to improve taxi services.

**** Nets Fee Increase 'Did Not Breach Law' <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/06/nets-fee-increase-did-not-breach-law.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
What do we do when the free market meets a social goal?

**** Don't Touch That Potato <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2007/06/hot-potato.html>
by Singapore Life And Times
If nothing, they fear for their rice bowls and careers, and consequently their families.

**** No Plans To Relax Rules On Foreign Purchase Of Landed Property: MinLaw <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/284820/1/.html>
by Daryl Loo, Channel NewsAsia