[MyAppleMenu] Jun 30, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 30 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Gave Up Sleep And Maybe A First-Born, But At Least I Have An iPhone <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/30/technology/30phone.html?ex=1340856000&en=c144db32786ca77a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Jeremy W. Peters, New York Times
Apple wanted a spectacle when the iPhone went on sale, and it got just that.

**** Some People Can Buy iPhone Without 2-Year Contract <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/06/30/some_people_can_buy_iphone_without_2_year_contract/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Technology+stories>
by Sinead Carew, Boston Globe
What's the best way to beat the commitment involved in iPhone ownership? Bad credit.

**** Immediate After-THoughts On The Apple iPhone Launch <http://thomashawk.com/2007/06/immediate-after-thoughts-on-apple.html>
by Thomas Hawk, Digital Connection
Camping out last night at the Palo Alto Apple store was not about an iPhone. It was about an experience.

**** BuyPhone <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9062>
by Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS
Purchasing a new iPhone wasn't the ordeal I expected.

**** iPhone First Impressions <http://daringfireball.net/2007/06/iphone_first_impressions>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
The iPHone is 95 percent amazing, 5 percent maddening. I'm just blown away by how nice it is &mdash; very thoughful UI design and outstanding engineering. It is very fun.

**** iPhone First Impressions <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/30/iphone-first-impressions/>
by David Chartier, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Words /cannot/ describe how incredibly wonderful this thing feels to touch and hold. It is an absolute marvel of engineering. Gorgeous in every way.

**** Accessing Reader.mac.com From An iPhone <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ooooooh/accessing-readermaccom-from-an-iphone-273872.php>
by Gizmodo
It's an RSS application that handles your feeds' URLs in iPHone's Safari.

**** Eye Phone <http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=9424768&fsrc=RSS>
by The Economist
Apple is changing the way we view mobile phones.

**** Eager Customers Finally Get iPhones <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/06/29/thousands_queue_up_to_buy_apple_iphones/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Technology+stories>
by May Wong, Associated Press
Techies, exhibitionists and luminaries &mdash; even the co-founder of Apple and the mayor of Philadelphia &mdash; were among the inaugural group of iPhone customers.

**** SIM Card Swappin' And The Early Snap Of iPhonation <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/29/sim-card-swappin-and-the-early-snap-of-iphonation/>
by Victor Agreda, Jr, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Contrary to previous reports, you will be able to swap out that SIM card on your iPhone.

**** iPhone Activation Disasters <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/06/iphone_act/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Three hours after getting my hands on an iPhone, I am ready to drop the thing from the 44th floor of the New York Hilton &mdash; and I probably would if I was sure it would hit someone from AT&amp;T.

**** 2-4 Week Wait For iPhone Online <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/29/iphone.2.4.week.wait/>
by MacNN

**** Gadget Fans Speak Out From iPhone Lines <http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?type=comktNews&storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070629:MTFH12246_2007-06-29_23-07-56_N29387895&pageNumber=0&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=HybArt-C1-ArticlePage1>
by Reuters

**** Secrets &amp; Features Of iTunes 7.3 <http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/instant-expert-secrets-features-of-itunes-73/>
by Jesse David Hollington, iLounge
Here is the breakdown of what is new and interesting in iTunes 7.3.

**** Apple Issues Five iPhone Tech Notes <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/29/apple.iphone.notes/>
by MacNN

**** First Look: Five Fast iPhone Impressions <http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/firstlooks/fiveiphone/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Shawn King, Macworld
The iPhone is /not/ the "Perfect Device." But it is a darn cool piece of technology that does a lot of things surprisingly well. And, for those of you waiting for "Version 2.0," it will only get better.

**** iPhone Release Brings Out The Crowds <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/06/29/iphone_crowds/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Chris Barylick and Mathew Honan, Macworld

>From coast to coast Friday, the covetous and curious stood in line at Apple Stores and AT&amp;T retail outlets so that they could be among the first to lay their hands on Apple's new iPhone.

**** High-Quality Apple iPhone Unboxing Photos <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/29/high_quality_apple_iphone_unboxing_photos.html>
by AppleInsider

**** Finding A Mouse For The Creative Mac Pro <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/creative/2007/06/input-devices/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Recently, I found myself wanting a new mouse and decided to dig out some of my old hardware and try out some new stuff.

**** Consumer Group Warns Apple, AT&amp;T On iPhone <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/29/ftcr.iphone.warning/>
by MacNN
The fact that neither Apple nor AT&amp;T have disclosed whether they will charge customers to replace failing batteries has led the Foundation for Taxpayer &amp; Consumer Rights (FCTR) to officially call upon both firms to provide free and immediate replacement at retail locations for the life of the iPhone.

**** AT&amp;T: iPod Gear Can Function With iPhone <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/29/att.ipod.gear.on.iphone/>
by MacNN
AT&amp;T states that while many products with the 'Made for iPod' branding are compatible with the iPhone's 30-pin connector, the wireles broadcasts the phone emits may cause audio interference.

**** Apple Opens Largest European Store-In-Store In Paris <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/06/29/storeinstore/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Sayer, IDG News Service
Apple opened its largest European Apple Shop to date on Thursday, inside the FNAC Digital store on the chic Boulevard Saint Germain in central Paris.

**** Powerset: The Natural Language Search Mashup Platform <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=5541>
by Dan Farber, ZDNet

**** Hong Kong Theme Park Outsmarts The Mouse <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-themepark30jun30,0,5695933.story?track=mostviewed-splashpage>
by David Pierson, Los Angeles Times
As Disneyland sputters, a revived Ocean Park is making a comeback as the local choice.

**** Acting Out <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/books/review/Harrison-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Kathryn Harrison, New York Times
"House Lights" is a coming-of-age novel that casts a distinctly female eye on the form, not asking how far it's possible to travel from one's original self so much as considering the possibility that we may never really leave our child selves behind.

**** The Hong Kong Handover Hangover <http://www.slate.com/id/2169351/>
by Daisann McLane, Slate
Ten years on, the natives are restless.

**** Iced Coffee? No Sweat <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/dining/27coff.html?ex=1340683200&en=0a9cf1fb9bdd34ea&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink>
by Cindy Price, New York Times
Before I go telling everybody that the secret to great iced coffee is already in the kitchen, my friend Keller wants me to confess: I didn't know from iced coffee until he showed me the light.

**** Penniless In Their Twilight Years In A Land Of Plenty <http://www.thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/6/30/columnists/insightdownsouth/18161287&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
For many elderly folk, Singapre is a tough place to live in. Many senior citizens just do not have the skills for the modern economy.

**** Singapore's Terror War <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/29/opinion/edlet.php>
by Toh Yong CHuan, Ministry of Home Affairs, Internationa Herald Tribune
The Singapore government gains nothing from maintaining the "sense of a Muslim threat." With a population comprising 15 percent Muslims, our fear is that a terrorist attack by Islamist extremists would destroy trust and confidence between Muslim and non-Muslim Singaporeans that is vital to our existence.
See Also:
The Fog Of 'War On Terror' <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/19/opinion/edbowring.php>, by Philip Bowring, International Herald Tribune. The problem with Singapore's claim is that it has a long history of Internal Security Act arrests &mdash; including journalists for well-known publications &mdash; accused of Marxist, "Euro-Communist" and other dubious conspiracies. Their release has sometimes been contingent on "confessions," some televised.

**** Singapore Bars Quit Smoking <http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=119815>
by DPA
Most bars in Singapore are going completely smoke-free when a ban kicks in on Sunday with only 118 out of 900 night spots applying for permission to build indoor smoking rooms, environmental officials said on Saturday.

**** China Eastern Approved To Sell Stake To Singapore <http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2007-06/29/content_906079.htm>
by Bloomberg
China Eastern Airlines Corp, the nation's third-largest carrier, won preliminary approval to sell a stake to Singapore Airlines Ltd, which is seeking better access to the world's second-largest aviation market.

**** Don't Give Money Away To Charities Blindly: Dr Balakrishnan <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/285420/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
At least three organisation from the charity sector have been struck off the roll since January this year, leading some to question whether there should be stricter rules to govern them.

**** Monopoly Of The Elites, Silence Of The Lambs <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/06/30/monopoly-of-the-elites-silence-of-the-lambs/>
by theonlinecitizen
When even the media abandons its duty of serving the public interest, it is no wonder then that the people becomes numb and feels completely helpless about issues which they feel strongly about.

**** A World Without Objective, Impartial Newspapers <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-757.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
If the government really cares about nation-building, they should free the press.

**** CPF Balance Of Older Members Up To $66K But Still Can't Meet Needs <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_134390.html>
by Radha Basu, Straits Times
Most Central Provident Fund members nearing retirement now have an average of about $66,000 in their accounts &mdash; a 40 per cent surge from a decade ago but still far short of the minimum sum.

**** Mainstream Media Must Work With Internet, Say Experts <http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article-southeastasia.asp?parentid=72802>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times