[MyAppleMenu] Jun 3, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 3 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Improving Mac OS X: Coping Bundles <http://curmi.com/blog/2007/06/03/improving-mac-os-x-copying-bundles/>
by Crumi The Blog
The point is that the end user shouldn't see these internals at all.

**** One Year After Switching From Windows To Mac <http://www.joliver.org/?p=7>
by Ollie's GeekBlog
I use Windows at work and when I come home, I use my Mac to do my personal stuff. The experience, to me, is more personalized, including a great graphical user interface, and is refreshing to use after a day of Windows running business apps. I may not be a die hard fan boy, but I will probably put an Apple sticker on my car.

**** Harvard, Stanford On An iPod Near You <http://www.sunjournal.com/story/215038-3/bsection/Harvard_Stanford_on_an_iPod_near_you/>
by Evelyn Shih, The Record
You may not be able to earn a degree, but you will be able to explore a new area of interest, freshen up your high school French or just impress someone at your next dinner party.

**** Chances Are, You'll Buy The Next New Thing <http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=594230&from=myapplemenu&category=ARTS&newsdate=6/3/2007>
by Mark McGuire, Times Union
According to a consumer model developed nearly a half-century ago but still in use, roughly one out of 40 who will get an iPhone will rush out to buy one as soon as possible. Another 13.5 percent will buy one in the relatively near future.
THen there are the laggards.

**** My Apple Store Has Been Remodeled <http://terrywhite.com/techblog/?p=117>
by Terry White
At first glace you'll notice how much larger the store is. You'll also notice the new shinny stainless steel look and fixtures.

**** Sex, With Consequences <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/weekinreview/03kennedy.html?ex=1338523200&en=90ec3c0c8249f175&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Randy Kennedy, New York Times
Lately, it seems that a slight virginal breeze has been blowing through the worlds of publishing, theater and Hollywood.

**** Escape From Real Bitch Island <http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=232684>
by Eli Sanders, The Stranger
Nineteen and gay, too effeminate to hide, and persecuted by haters in his small town. Chris Crocker turned to the web to vent. Now he's a huge YouTube celebrity. Is the internet Chris Crocker's ticket out?

**** No Time For The Dying <http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=1644>
by Jason Cherkis, Washington City Paper
Inmate Robert Hawkins wanted his life to end at home. In D.C., that wasn't an option.

**** Indonesia Optimistic On Singapore Defence Pact <http://in.news.yahoo.com/070603/137/6gle3.html>
by Koh Gui Qing, Reuters
Indonesia's defence minister said on Sunday he expects all outstanding issues holding up a defence treaty with Singapore to be resolved by the end of next week, paving the way for ratification of the deal.

**** I Am Singaporean XXIX - On Blind Faith <http://sturmdesjahrhunderts.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/i-am-singaporean-xxix-on-blind-faith/>
by Die Neue Welle
Is the government efficient because there is no effective opposition?

**** Lower Cost Advantage For Foreign Universities <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/National/20070603075641/Article/index_html>
by June Ramli, New Straits Times
Foreign univerisites prefer to set up their branch campuses in Malaysia rather than Singapore because of lower costs, which is a boon for foreign students.

**** Doomed From The Start? <http://thestar.com.my/education/story.asp?file=/2007/6/3/education/20070602113138>
by Straits Times
If it looked to many people that the University of New South Wales (UNSW) scrapped its Singapore plan too hastily &mdash; barely 10 weeks after its first students started classes &mdash; professor Cham Tao Soon, founding president of Nanyang Technological University, saw things differently.
According to him, UNSW failed to pull in the students in sufficient numbers because its business model was flawed.

**** Pulling The Plug <http://thestar.com.my/education/story.asp?file=/2007/6/3/education/17867005>
by Sandra Davie, Straits Times
When the University of New South Wales (UNSW) named its new vice-challcelor, the announcement was made well in advance.
Chief executive officer Fred Hilmer of Australian publishing giant John Fairfax Holdings was the choice, and the news broke on Oct 17, 2005.
A senior UNSW academic remembers the exact date like it was yesterday. "I had a sinking feeling. I knew then that the Singapore campus plan was doomed."

**** Watch Out For The Big Men <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-750.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
How to make people see the risks inherent in a system that concentrates power in the hands of a few?

**** How To Inform, Educate And Reassure Singaporeans <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/156411.html>
by Mollymeek
If the small increment works so well, perhaps the government could consider making small and frequent increments to the proportion of hospital bills it subsidizes without having us extra taxes?

**** Doing The Right Thing <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/doing-the-right-thing.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
Because anti-corruption is one of the core values of Singapore, I don't think the matter should be put to rest quietly.

**** All That Glitters Is Not Gold In Singapore <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2007/06/all-that-glitters-is-not-gold-in.html>
by Singapore Election Watch