[MyAppleMenu] Jun 2, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 2 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Allow iPods In School <http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070602/OPINION03/706020324>
by Cody Bernal, The Coloradoan
I think that student performance would improve if students could listen to their iPods.

**** I'm iFedup <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070602.LEAH02/TPStory/Entertainment/?from=myapplemenu>
by Leah McLaren, Globe And Mail
Even a solvenly Mac girl like me can reach her breaking point.

**** Apple Takes A Bite Out Of DRM <http://www.maximumpc.com/article/itunes_256_vs_128_bit>
by Michael Brown, Maximum PC
We decided to test a random sample of our colleagues to see if they could detect any audible difference between a song ripped from a CD and encoded in Apple's lossy AAC format at 128K/s, and the same ripped and encoded in lossy AAC at 256 Kb/s.

**** Why Microsoft's Innovation Is Only Surface Deep <http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/01/fentem_microsoft_surface/>
by Andrew Fentem, Channel Register
A major usability problem that has dogged multi-touch computer interfaces for the last twenty five years is the lack of tactile feedback.
Some of Apple's recent patent applicatios appear to be addressing this issue.

**** iTunes Crosses Language Barrier With Foreign Exchange <http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0136161120070602?feedType=RSS>
by Brian Garrity, Billboard
Apple's iTunes Music Store is introducing a new original programming feature designed to promote foreign-language music in its stores around the world, Billboard has learned.

**** Why Is DRM-Free Music Tagged With Name And E-Mail? Apple Keeps Mum <http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/06/no_explanation_.html>
by Cyrus Farivar, Wired
An Apple spokesman suggested by e-mail that Wired News contact Michael Gartenberg, an anlyst at Jupiter Research who has been briefed about iTunes Plus. The Apple spokesman didn't respond to further requests for comment.
Gartenberg said there are many reasons why Apple would want to tag music sold through the iTunes store. The information could be used as a proof of purchase, or to facilitate upgrades. The identifier could help identify songs missing from albums, as well as to thwart piracy.

**** iPhone SDK, iPhone SDK! Wherefore Art Thou iPhone SDK? <http://daringfireball.net/2007/06/wherefore_art_thou_iphone_sdk>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Downplaying the prospects for third-party app development in the meantime is a way of under-promising and over-delivering. By setting initial expectations that there might /never/ be third-party software for iPhone, any future support for third-party app will be treated as good news.
/Steve Jobs has indicated that Apple is treating the iPhone and iPod as separate busiensses. The rules that apply for the iPod &mdash; no third-party apps without Apple's approval &mdash; may not apply to the iPhone, eventually./

**** Mac Coming Into Focus As Attack Target <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2140308,00.asp?kc=ZDRSS05089TX1K0001002>
by Lisa Vaas, eWeek
There haven't been mass Mac exploits to date, but interest is growing, as evidenced by the quick turnout of exploit code for a recently disclosed vulnerability.

**** Why Is The Mac OS More Secure Than Windows? <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2139856,00.asp?kc=ZDRSS05089TX1K0001002>
by David Morgenstern, eWeek
PC users should forget their outrage and come to understand that life isn't fair. THe Mac platform is more secure than WIndows and will continue to be so.

**** Beatles Unlikely To Turn Up On iTunes Until 2008 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/01/beatles_unlikely_to_turn_up_on_itunes_until_2008.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
The widow of Fab Four giutarist George Harrison has revealed that the music group's catalog should be available by next year.

**** Yep 1.6.2 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/06/yep/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Miller, Macworld
Simpl put, it's a file manager specifically designed for PDFs, handling those files in much the same way iPhoto manages your photos.

**** Alan Pollard: Mechanized Mischief <http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/pollard/>
by DUstin Driver, Apple

**** Fotomagico 2 <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/review.php?id=319>
by Ilene Hoffman, MacNN

**** A Tale Of Two Cultures <http://searchengineland.com/070601-065245.php>
by Gord Hotchkiss, Searchengineland.com
The typical user experience in one part of the world is not necessarily a typical user experience in another.

**** For Pornographers, Internet's Virtues Turn To Vices <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/02/technology/02porn.html?ex=1338436800&en=be6f728bf4c9ccbd&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Matt Richtel, New York Times
The online availability of free or low-cost photos and videos ahs begun to take a fierce toll on sales of X-rated DVDs. Inexpensive digital technology has paved the way for aspiring amateur pornographers, who are flooding the market, while everyone in the industry is giving away more material to lure paying customers.

**** How Much Does The Internet Weigh? <http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/how-much-does-the-internet-weigh>
by Stephen Cass, Discover
How heavy is information? Most of us know that computers represent all types of information as streams of binary digits, 1s and 0s. These digits are mathematical entities, but they are also tangible ones: They are embodied and manipulated as voltages in electronic circuits. Therefore, every bit of data must have some mass, albeit minuscule.

**** Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451 Misinterpreted <http://www.laweekly.com/news/news/ray-bradbury-fahrenheit-451-misinterpreted/16524/>
by Amy E. Boyle Johnston, LA Weekly
L.A.'s august Pulitzer honoree says it was never about censorship.

**** Summer Bummer <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/books/review/Queenan-t.html?ex=1338523200&en=88ca4af34cd84264&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Joe Queenan, New York Times
Forty years after being pistol-whipped by Thomas Hardy, I am amazed that the summer reading list continues to exist.

**** Other People's Porn <http://www.slate.com/id/2167389/fr/rss/>
by Josh Levin, Slate
Watching my neighbors watch on-demand television.

**** UNSW To Assist Singapore Campus Students <http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/UNSW-to-assist-Singapore-campus-students/2007/06/02/1180205586735.html>
by AAP

**** Who Can Afford Singapore Anymore <http://www.surveybusters.com/singapore-travel-bargain-no-more/>
by Survey Busters
It just doesn't cut it on the "value for money" charts anymore.

**** Singapore Says Asia Is 'Stepping Way' From Burma <http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/stories/s1940640.htm>
by ABC Radio Australia
Singapore says south-east Asia is stepping away from Burma because it doesn't want to be held hostage to the policies of the military regime.

**** Blow To Education Hub Hopes <http://www.thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/6/2/columnists/insightdownsouth/17896392&from=myapplemenu&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
The global trend of turning universities into an industry and a 'centre of earning' &mdash; as what Singapore is seeking to do &mdash; is facing public resentment.
THe hub pursuit has been unpopular with Singaporean students who feel they have lost out to brither foreigners.

**** Singapore Says China Challenge More Economic Than Military <http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070601/wl_asia_afp/asiasecuritysingapore_070601152318>
by Ian Timberlake, AFP
China poses more of an economic than military challenge to Asian nations despite US concern over its military build-up, Singapore's prime minister told a regional security conference Friday.

**** Scientists Stumped By 2 Dengue Findings Here <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_125187.html>
by Tania Tan, Straits Times
Scientists studying engue fever here are stumped on two fronts &mdash; that niquely Singapore strains seem to have risen here and that young adults are most hit by the fever.

**** Have More Varsities To Cater To 'Average' Students <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_125204.html>
by Lee Chee Yan, Straits Times
See Also:
Ease CPF-Funds Rule For Overseas Study <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_125206.html>, by Ong Cher San, Straits Times.

**** Good Health Care Remains Affordable <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_125202.html>
by Julie Sim, Ministry of Health, Straits Times
Hospitals have been mindful of the need to ensure that the increases do not pose an undue burden to our patients. Hence they go for small incremental adjustments, rather than less frequent but large changes.
/I do hope that someone from the government comes out and define for us what "affordable" means. Maybe a formula or two &mdash; like those of ministers' salaries./

**** Lawyer's Letter Served On Editors Of Tomorrow.sg <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/192047.asp>
by Lee U-Wen, Today

**** Perks For Public Servants <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/192041.asp>
by Tan Hui Leng, Today
Some 60,000 civil servants will get a mid-year Annual Variable Component (AVC) of half a month's salary plus an additional payment of $220 next month.

**** New Worry: Homemade Extremists <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/191998.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
They turn to the web for religious advice, but fall prey to radical views.

**** Whither JBJ's Re-Entrance Into Politics? <http://www.singaporeangle.com/2007/06/whither_jbjs_reentrance_into_p.html>
by Singapore Angle
Ironically, will JBJ's new party be more in tune with the Singaporeans' views of the opposition of tomorrow?