[MyAppleMenu] Jun 1, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 1 13:15:04 EDT 2007

**** Anger Over DRM-Free iTunes Tracks <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6711215.stm>
by BBC News
The launch of music tracks free of digital locks on iTunes has been overshadowed by the discovery that they contain data about who bought them.

**** iPhone's Secret Ingredient: Google <http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1627284,00.html?xid=rss-business>
by Jeremy Caplan, Time
Apple looks smart partnering up.

**** BinaryNights Introduces ForkLift 1.0 <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/06/01.5.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer
ForkLift can connect to FTP and SFTP servers, manage Amazon S3 accounts, remotely edit documents on Bluetooth devices or via FTP, and more.

**** Parallels Desktop 3.0 Coming Soon With 3D Graphics Support <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/05/31/parallels-desktop-3-0-coming-soon-with-3d-graphics-support>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica
Parallels 3 will soon support both DirectX and OpenGL games in the virtual machine, so you can get your gaming fix without having to reboot into Windows.

**** Apple II Turns 30 Years Old <http://www.retrothing.com/2007/05/apple_ii_turns_.html>
by Retro Thing
There were other affordable hobbyist computer kits available before, but the Apple II was the first computer that was ready to run out of the box.

**** MacBook Core 2 Duo/2GHz And 2.16GHz <http://www.macworld.com/2007/05/reviews/macbookrev/index.php>
by Henry Norr, Macworld

**** Not So Cloudy Skies For Third Party Applications <http://www.macuser.com/iphone/not_so_cloudy_skies_for_third.php?lsrc=murss>
by Derik DeLong, MacUser
Steve specifically mentions a timeline. I think that says a lot.

**** With Success, A Kinder, Gentler Steve Jobs <http://gigaom.com/2007/05/31/steve-jobs-2-0/>
by Om Malik, GigaOM
Success, they say, mellows out even the fiercest of tyrants, making their dictates seem almost benevolent. Steve Jobs, the enfant terrible of yesteryears, whose unrelenting quest for perfection has driven many to Ole Tennessee or an asylum (whichever is closer) is showing signs of a kinder, gentler self, happy to share (within limits) the glory, and espousing the virtues of team work.

**** Apple's DRM-Free AAC Files Contain More Than Just Names And Email Addresses <http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/005282.php>
by EFF
We've found that there isn't a watermark in the compressed audio signal itself, but there are surprisingly huge differences in the encoded files. Much bigger differences than just different tags, or even different signed/encrypted tags.

**** Bitcartel Announces PandoraJam 1.0 <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/05/31.10.shtml>
by John Martellaro, Mac Observer

**** DivX For Mac 6.7 Now Available <http://www.macminute.com/2007/05/31/divx-mac/>
by MacMinute

**** Mapping That Puts You There <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/30/AR2007053002392.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post
This week, the operators of the two best mapping sites &mdash; Google and Microsoft &mdash; upgraded their mapping sites in flashy, useful ways.

**** Google Photos Stir A Debate Over Privacy <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/01/technology/01private.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin>
by Miguel Helft, New York Times
The web has been buzzing about the privacy implications of Street View &mdash; with varying degrees of seriousness.

**** Online And Offline Worlds Merge <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6708375.stm>
by BBC News
Google has launched a tool designed to make it easier for computer users to use online applications offline.

**** Taking Time In Hand <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/30/AR2007053000499.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Annie Groer, Washington Post
6:30 shower 6:55 dressed 7:30 children's breakfast.

**** The Corporate Takeover Of U.S. Intelligence <http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/06/01/intel_contractors/index_np.html>
by Tim Shorrock, Salon
The U.S. government now outsources a vast portion of its spying operations to private firms &mdash; with zero public accountability.

**** Time Wasted? Perhaps It's Well Spent <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/31/fashion/31work.html?ex=1338264000&en=68ace44367d9345a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Lisa Belkin, New York Times
A crotchety boss might say that we're working longer because we're wasting time, but the opposite may also be true. We are wasting time because we are working harder.

**** Auditor General's Report: Millions Missing <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/06/01/auditor-general%e2%80%99s-report-millions-missing/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, theonlinecitizen
The original Auditor General Office's (AGO) audit of 12 ministries and associated statutory boards has revealed irregularities to an extent not fully revealed by the recent Public Accounts Committee (PAC).
According to the AGO, losses of public monies added up to $6.2 million, a substantial amount of which is still unaccounted for.

**** Restaurants Woo High-Spending Tourists For Fine Dining Experience <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/279739/1/.html>
by Jeana Wong, Channel NewsAsia
Money in the restaurant business is going into casual dining and medium-size outfits, according to industry players.
They say leisure and business travellers make up a good chunk of Singapore's restaurant sales. And outfits that have done well also tend to be located in tourist hotspots.

**** STB To Give Better Support To International Students <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_124880.html>
by Straits Times
The Singapore Tourism Board (STB) is working closely with the Association of Consultants for International Students Singapore (ACISS) to better promote the country as an education hub.
Fresh from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) fiasco, STB and ACISS on Friday said they are streamlining their operations to provide better support to foreign students.

**** Prices Of Milk In Singapore Goes Up, Sugar Prices Fall <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_124889.html>
by Straits Times
A price survey of 40 milk and sugar products retailing at major supermarkets in Singapore shows a hike in the prices of condensed and evaporated milk, and certain brands of fresh milk. Sugar, on the other hand, saw a slight dip in prices, or remained the same.

**** The Paranoia Of Suspicious Minds <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_124744.html>
by Janadas Devan, Straits Times
Singaporeans, ever hopeful, must understand that political ledaers in both Indonesia and Malaysia face domestic constraints. Those constraints will affect not only bilateral relations but also Asean economic integration. The existential challenges that China and India present to the region may not in themselves be sufficient to foster a forward-looking regionalism in Asean.

**** Good Times For Singapore Cinema <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainment/view/279631/1/.html>
by Felix Cheong, Channel NewsAsia
The momentum is certainly picking up, and it won't be long before a viable domestic market takes off.

**** Demand For C-Class Beds At Hospitals Up Sharply <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_124695.html>
by Salma Khalik, Straits Times
The reason higher demand for C-class beds puts a strain on hospital finances has to do with the way government subsidies are given out.
In the past, the money was given out based on the number of subsidised patients served. But now, hospitals get a fixed sum and have to divide it among a greater number of patients.

**** Who Can Ensure Pedestrians' Safety If Cyclists Are Allowed On Footpaths? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_124687.html>
by Lim Boon Huat, Straits Times
There is no amount of public education that could stop accidents from happening.

**** Means Test Won't Resolve Social-Overstayer Issue <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_124782.html>
by Gerald Chen Zexin, Straits Times
Rather than use the bed shortage to justify the introduction of means testing, we should tap methods that are simple and already available, and ensure that they are carried out smoothly.

**** Plug Into New Pay-TV Service With A Phone Jack Soon <http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article-southeastasia.asp?parentid=71039>
by Alfred Siew, Straits Times
SingTel's internet protocol TV service attempts to attract users with recording and interactive features.

**** Perversion And Bizarre Surveys <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/155669.html>
by Mollymeek
Why don't you just say that many Singaporeans know that they have no one else to turn to &mdash; not even themselves &mdash; when they are in trouble, especially financial trouble.

**** The Faculty Of Accountability <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/05/faculty-of-accountability.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
I don't really see EDB's letter as being sufficient to address the calls for true accountability.