[MyAppleMenu] Jun 4, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 4 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Pacific Catch, The SF Restaurant In The iPhone Ad <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/pacific-catch-the-sf-restaurant-in-the-iphone-ad-265522.php>
by Gizmodo
After watching the iPhone Calamari ad, I found myself starving for seafood.

**** Steve Jobs/Bill Gates D5 Interview Available In iTunes <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/04/steve-jobs-bill-gates-d5-interview-available-in-itunes/>
by Scott McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Why Are Macs So Expensive In Australia? <http://www.duncanriley.com/2007/06/04/why-are-macs-so-expensive-in-australia/>
by Duncan Riley

**** iTunes Pluses And Minuses? <http://www.stereophile.com/news/060407ituneplus/>
by Wes Phillips, Stereophile

**** Not Feeling It...
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Well, I'm not feeling the excitment here in Singapore. The iPhone will not be available, according to Apple, any time this year. In fact, Apple has not even promised anything anytime. Asia &mdash; that can mean anything.
(And, to bring out my rants again &mdash; we are still waiting for iTunes Store /and/ iPhoto photo book printing down here, letalone anything new and modern.)
Hopefully, the "true" wide-screen iPod will be hitting our shores soon. I need a target in order to save money. :-)

**** The UK's Consolation Prize: New Mac Ads <http://www.macuser.com/advertising/the_uks_consolation_prize_new.php?lsrc=murss>
by Thomas Gagnon-van Leeuwen, MacUser
Two additional commercials, still featurning the ever-so-funny Mac and PC duo, popped up on Apple's UK Get a Mac page.

**** iPhone TV Ads <http://daringfireball.net/linked/2007/june#sun-03-iphone_ads>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
No other cell phone is advertised by showing off the user interface.
See Also:
Apple's "iPhone Ad Slip Up" Reveals "Mystery App" <http://macenstein.com/default/archives/640>, by Macenstein. Apparently some mystery app has pushed the icons down 1 slot, but we cannot see what it is.

**** The Three New Apple iPhone Ads Teasing Us With The June 29Th Release Date <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/videos/the-three-new-apple-iphone-ads-teasing-us-with-the-june-29th-release-date-265519.php>
by Gizmodo

**** With The iPhone, Steven Jobs Casts A Spell On The American Consumer <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/03/business/wireless04.php>
by John Markoff, Internationa Herald Tribune
The anticipation, which is intense even by Jobsian standards, has led to some quiet behind-the-scenes anxiety at Apple.

**** Waxing Philosophical, Booksellers Face The Digital <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/04/books/04book1.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Motoko Rich, New York Times
In what has become another rite of the BookExpo in recent years, the industry continued to grapple with its evolving techno-future with a mixture of enthusiasm, anxiety and a whiff of desperation.

**** 10 Obvious Things About The Future Of Newspapers You Need To Get Through Your Head <http://www.ryansholin.com/2007/06/02/10-obvious-things-about-the-future-of-newspapers-you-need-to-get-through-your-head/>
by Invisible Inkling

**** The Steakhouse Index <http://www.slate.com/id/2167201>
by Daniel Gross, Slate
Their stocks are down. Should we worry about the rest of the economy?

**** A Man Of The Street <http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/la-tm-walkingcaruso22jun03,1,435013.story?coll=la-headlines-west&ctrack=2&cset=true>
by David L. Ulin, Los Angeles Times
Rick Caruso got us walking and communing at the Grove. Why has his Disney-esque vision proven so successful?

**** Driven To Extremes <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/29/AR2007052902244.html>
by Michael Leahy, Washington Post
For their commutes of up to four hours a day, the Hierses of West Virginia and Marc Turner of Charlottesville enjoy cheaper housing and better pay. But at what price?

**** CASE Concerned About Impending NETS Fee Hike <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/280223/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia
The consumer watchdog plans to lodge a complaint against the fee hike to the Competition Commission of Singapore.

**** Problematic Singapore Treaties <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070604.E02&irec=1>
by Ardimas Sasdi, Jakarta Post
The combining of the extradition treaty and the controversial defense pact into one package shows the sophistication of Singapore's negotiators and the dismal record of their Indonesian counterparts. Not the other way around.
In a sudden shift to its recalcitrant policy, Singapore said recently that it had agreed to sign a long-awaited extradition treaty with Indonesia, paving the way for Indonesia to bring back fugitive businessmen and ofrmer government officials involved in corruption and other crimes, who are now living and investing their ill-gotten gains in the city state.
But the sudden shift in Singapore's policy begs the question &mdash; what is the real motive behind the about-face?

**** Teaching English In Singapore <http://jollypuddle.com/?p=534>
by Flying Low
When teachers disparage the language a child uses normally, be it Singlish or Malay or Hokkien, by not allowing it in the clasroom (or worse, telling them it is wrong), the child tend to feel s/he is not good enough, nto smart enough etc and it does not help them learn in the classroom.

**** Biodiversity In Singapore <http://seletartribes.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/biodiversity-in-singapore/>
by History And Nature At Seletar Camp
The sheer spectrum of flora and fauna in Seletar is simply breathtaking. Butterflies and birds are just the more obvious groups. It got us thinking about the status of biodiversity in this island.

**** Singapore's Tiger Culture Roars And Leaps Fast Forward <http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2007/june/04/yehey/life/20070604lif1.html>
by Rome Jorge, Manila Times
The same people who transformed this tiny island country into a first world wonder in less than a generation are now advancing their cutlure by leaps and bounds. They aren't just catchng up with centuries-old culturies; they have arrived.
See Also:
Singapore Arts Festival: Building A Cultural Image <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070603.H01&irec=17>, by Kurniawan Hari, Jakarta Post.

**** My Kissing Project, Part 1 <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-751.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** Malaysia's Oil Pipeline Challenge <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_125585.html>
by Michael Richardson, Straits Times

**** A Rule That Doesn't Draw Clear Lines <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/192268.asp>
by Thomas Koshy, Today
Whatever else may be said about freedom of the press in Singapore, it ails not for lack of the newspaper rule.

**** Singlish = Good English? Can Like That Meh? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/192246.asp>
by Derrick A Paulo, Today
It has been trying to banish Singlish for the last seven years, and the Speak Good English Movement is familiar even to academics halfway across the globe.
But last week, one of them suggested it might be time to rethink the tug-of-war with Singlish, as well as how schools teach the English language.

**** Silence Of The Lambs <http://aidilomar.com/2007/06/03/sheep-city/>
by Phew!