[MyAppleMenu] Jul 19, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 19 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Sonny Software Releases Bookends 10 <http://www.macminute.com/2007/07/19/bookends-10/>
by MacMinute
Sonny Software today announced the release of Bookends 10, a Mac-only full-featured bibliography/reference and information management application for professionals and students.

**** Apple Struggles To Deliver LED MacBook Pros <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18591>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple is struggling to cope with demand for 15-inch MacBook Pros equipped with new environment-friendly's LED backlit displays.

**** Apple Third Place US PC Vendor <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=18581>
by Ben Ames, Macworld UK
Apple takes 5.6 per cent of US PC market.

**** Curio 4, Brainstroming Software Released <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/19/curio.4.released/>
by MacNN

**** Mac Worm Author Receives Death Threats <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027318&from=myapplemenu&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
The beef over news of a worm targeting Macs, and the identity of the research who claimed to have created the malware, took an even stranger turn Wednesday as death threats were allegedly posted to his or her blog, which was then reportedly hacked.

**** Windows Mobile Needs Fixing <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/18/29OPenterwin_1.html>
by Oliver Rist, InfoWorld
Windows Mobile may have all the paper advantages &mdash; openness, Microsoft app compatibility, a great price, and loads of third-party support &mdash; but if users can't rely on it out there in the wild, woolly, and unsupported field, none of that means very much.

**** iPhone + Disposable Cellphone + Prepaid Cards + New Acitvation Tool = Holy Cow <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/18/iphone-disposable-cellphone-prepaid-cards-new-activation-t/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
It means you can buy an iPhone and activate it using a disposable Cingular SIM. It does not mean that the iPhone has been unlocked in general.

**** Can The iPhone Do Double Duty As A Laptop? <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19816643/>
by Joe Hutsko, MSNBC
When I say I'd really like longer life battery, I'm not saying other devices do any better. I'm saying that because the iPhone has proven that it can meet my requirements as a notebook replacement for day or weekend trips. So it's only natural that I'd rather not have to think about whether the battery can make it through the day.

**** I've Got An iPhone &mdash; In Australia <http://www.apcmag.com/6711/ive_got_an_iphone>
by Danny Gorog, APC Magazine
If you're not impressed with it after you've used it from any perspective (be it engineering, design, or software) than you don't really get what consumer technology is all about.

**** For Small Accessory Makers, iPhone Mania Means Big Business <http://www.inc.com/news/articles/200707/iphone.html?partner=rss>
by Angus Loten, Inc
With iPhone sales already surpassing expectations, smaller accessory makers are feelling pretty good about the future.

**** Apple Expanding In Austin <http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/realestate/07/18/0718apple.html>
by M.B. Taboada, American-Statesman
Apple is expanding its operations in Austin, with plans for a new 80,000-square-foot building at its campus in Northwest Austin, according to real estate sources.

**** Ten Of My Favorite iPhone Things <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/07/iphone10/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
This device is truly amazing in many, many ways&mdash;and yes, equally frustrating in some other ways.

**** Live Interior 3D 1.2: Easy-To-Use Interior Design Program Delivers The Basic <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/reviews/liveinterior/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Greg Miller, Macworld
Designing complex spaces presents too many time-consuming limitations to be practical. But this is a relatively new program: it looks very nice, is easy to learn, and has a great deal of potential.

**** Final Cut Pro 6 <http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=162747>
by Heath McKnight, Creative Mac

**** Vertus Announces Release Of Fluid Mask 3 <http://www.macminute.com/2007/07/18/fluid-mask-3/>
by MacMinute

**** Wither Blogging? Not Yet, But Perhaps Soon <http://www.micropersuasion.com/2007/07/wither-blogging.html>
by Steve Rubel, Micro Persuation
There are three forces at bay here.

**** I.B.M. Showing That Giants Can Be Nimble <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/technology/18blue.html?ref=technology>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times
I.B.M. has been reorganized from a classic multinational company with country-by-country operations, working in isolations, to a more seamless global enterprise with centers of expertise in industries and technical skills, scattered around the world, each a hub in a global network for delivering services.

**** YouTube's Dark Side <http://www.slate.com/id/2170651/>
by Nick Douglas, Slate
How the video-sharing site stifles creativity.

**** DiMA: SoundExchange Is Leveraging Absurd Fees To Push DRM On Web Radio <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070718-dima-soundexchange-is-leveraging-absurd-fees-to-push-drm.html>
by Ken Fisher, Ars Technica

**** Why We Do What We Do On eBay <http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0716/p13s02-wmgn.html>
by Chris Gaylord, Christian Science Monitor
Behind the millions of online auctions lies a virtual mini-economy flush with raw data. Harvesting this information has fed a new branch of economics, one that has proved again and again that shoppers act in unexpected ways.

**** Settling Down In A City In Motion <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/19/garden/19shanghai.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Emily Prager, New York Times
I left Manhattan a year ago, after a lifetime there. I was annoyed at spending $20 for a hamburger, depressed by designer boutiques on Bleecker Street, weary of the hovering spector of Al Qaeda, and still grieving over the demise of the Thalia. I was getting old waiting for the real estate bubble to burst and the city to regain its vibrancy. I decided to move myself and my 12-year-old daughter, Lulu &mdash; whom I had adopted as a baby in China &mdash; from the old capital of the world to the new: to make a home in Shanghai, a city of the future.

**** Farewell, Comma, He Said <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/17/AR2007071701489.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Robert J Samuelson, Washington Post
I have always liked commas, but I seem to be in a shrinking minority.

**** Some Stat Boards Held On To Millions In Unused Grants <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_140721.html>
by Straits Times
The practice by some statutory boards of holding on to millions of dollars in unused grants from their ministries, has come under fire from the Auditor-General.
One of them is the Land Transport Authority (LTA), which held on to $5 million for rail projects for more than 10 years, up to June last year.

**** Close To 20% Of Foreign Students Who Apply For Local Universities Get In <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/289193/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
Close to 20 percent of foreign students who applied to local universities were accepted this year. The Ministry of Education had said in parliament on Tuesday that the figure was only 4.3 percent, and only 987 foreign students got into local universities this year.
In fact, out of the 23,000 foreign students who applied for local universities, the actual number admitted was 4,218.
See Also:
University Places - Numbers Don't Add Up <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/07/18/university-places-numbers-dont-add-up/>, by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen.
Explaining A Discrepancy... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/07/explaining-discrepancy.html>, by Diary of a Singapore Mind.

**** Original Deadline Of Open Skies Policy Stays, Says Chan <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_business.php?id=274382>
by Bernama
The government will not bring forward the deadline to liberalise routes under the Asean Open Skies policy despite requests by low-cost carriers. "We will stick to the Asean aviation roadmap,. The total liberalisation, capital to capital, is on Jan 1, 2009," transport minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said Thursday.

**** Singapore Healthcare System Faces Daunting Challenges: PM Lee <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_140661.html>
by Straits Times
These include the growing demand for services from an ageing population and meeting this demand with an adequate number of healthcare professionals like doctors and nurses.
But, PM Lee was quick to point out that this demand is unlimited and warned that it has to be rationed out to keep healthcare costs low.

**** Ian McKellen Wades Into SIngapore Gay Rights Debate <http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSSIN7694520070719>
by Sebastian Tong, Reuters

**** For Most Singaporeans: Work = Life And Work-Life Balance Is A Myth <http://ruggyryanlivesat.blogspot.com/2007/07/for-most-singaporeans-work-life-and.html>
by Ryan's Ramblings
Singaporeans spend most of their lives, their waking hours, working.

**** MAS: Don't Open Asean Skies Early <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/7/19/business/18348234&sec=business>
by B.K. Sidhu, The Star
"I think Singapore would be the winner as the <Malaysian> airlines are not ready to operate in a fully liberalised environment. We need more time," MAS managing director Datuk Idris Jala explained.

**** UNSW Is Not Only About Money Lost <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/200910.asp>
by Lee U-Wen, Today
It is all well and good when the investments go according to plans and jobs are created for Singaporeans, but what happens if there is another UNSW? One can't help but wonder about the process in which the EDB disburses its funds.

**** Challenges Of High Pay, Skill Shortages <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/200968.asp>
by Derrick A Paulo, Today

**** Explain Why It Costs So Much Just To Get A New Ez-Link Card <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_140404.html>
by Shen Shifa, Straits Times
All in all, it's a total of $11 even before I can even top up $10.
/The more relevant question is why are expensive technologies chosen for the system./

**** Prof Jayakumar Reprimanded Sylvia Lim For Conspiracy Theory <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2007/07/prof-jayakumar-reprimanded-sylvia-lim.html>
by Singapore Election Watch
Ministers should not continue to work like ostriches with faces buried under the sand and refusing to answer questions of MPs with objective facts by countering her with convening commission of inquiry to put her down for truly speaking up on people's utmost issues.

**** If You Can Find Money To Kill People, You Can Find Money To Help People <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2007/07/if-you-can-find-money-to-kill-people.html>
by Singapore Election Watch

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Brittle Sticks <http://www.fieldsmusic.co.uk/music.htm>