[MyAppleMenu] Jul 18, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 18 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Burned By A MacBook <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/18/macbook_apple_support_hell/>
by Emily Turner, The Register
Can you run a business using a MacBook? No, is my answer. My experience with a new MacBook, which turned out to be a complete and utter lemon, and my battle with Apple's derisory customer service nearly sent me bananas, lost me thousand of pounds worth of freelance journalism and consultancy work, and left me with a burn mark on my arm.

**** The Non-Maximizing Maximize Button <http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000912.html>
by Jeff Atwood, Coding Horror
Dealing with multiple windows is far too difficult, even for sophisticated computer users.

**** Going Dockless <http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/07/going_dockless.html>
by Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Mac DeveCenter Blog
I managed to go Dockless without any problems.

**** Securing Your iPhone's Traffic <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/features/iphone_security/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Glenn Fleishman, Macworld
Just how protected is your data when you use the iPhone's wireless features?

**** The Strange Case Of 'Made For iPhone' Websites <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/18/the-strange-case-of-made-for-iphone-websites/>
by Scotty McNulty, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Is this a double standard &mdash; bad if it hurts Mac users, but jst fine if it works on Apple's new gizmo?

**** Silent Hands Behind The iPhone <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/technology/18taiwan.html?ref=technology>
by Ken Belson, New York Times
With little fanfare, Taiwan companies are playing a big role not only in the production of Apple's latest device but in a wide array of other communications equipment.

**** Freeing The iPhone The Legal Way <http://machinist.salon.com/feature/2007/07/18/cell_service_contracts/index.html>
by Farhad Manjoo, Salon
Lawmakers and consumer advocates push for rules to block wireless firms from locking gadgets and charging high cancellation fees.

**** Design Update Worth It <http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,20797,22089870-8362,00.html?from=myapplemenu>
by John O'Brien, The Courier-Mail
After Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative suite is the most important software package on the Mac.

**** Apple Sued Over iPhone Ads <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201001787>
by Paul McDougall, InformationWeek
A Colorado photographer is suing Apple, claiming the company stole one of his images and used it in ads for its iPhone and Apple TV products.

**** Mac OS X Worm Maker Raps Apple On Security <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/17/macosx-worm-maker_1.html>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
The anonymous researcher who claims to have crafted a Mac OS X worm said Tuesday that he or she will report his findings to Apple Inc., but added that the Cupertino, Calif. company "has a very long way to go" on security.

**** Apple Looking Into QuickTime 7.2 Issue <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/17/quicktime/index.php>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Apple on Tuesday said it is looking into an issue that some users are having with the most recent update to its QuickTime media technology.
After intalling QuickTime 7.2, some users reported having issues with some Code Fragment Manager (CFM) applications including Word, Excel and Entourage, among others.

**** Let's Make It "Understand The Dock Day" Instead <http://www.macjournals.com/news/2007/07/17.html>
by Mac Journals
Let's focus the attention on the Dock, the program that you may not like but can't live without, the launcher that Apple claims as superior but really knows is so defective that it /will not allow/ third-party competition for it.

**** The Next iPod Will Run OS X? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1723>
by John Carroll, ZDNet
Apple is proof that you can compete with Microsoft.

**** Steve Jobs Tops List Of Online Music "Powergeeks" <http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN1140918120070717>
by Reuters
Steve Jobs, the father of the iPod, was on Tuesday crowned the undipusted king of the online music revolution by U.S. music magazine Blender, topping a list of the 25 most influential people in web music.

**** Behind The Apple Vs Universal Breakup <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/17/steve_gordon_apple_universal/>
by Steve Gordon, The Register
Since we have seen Universal's leverage against Aple is weak, it will probably never get any money from the iPod or iPhone. But if it sat down with other major labels, the electronics business, and members of congress, it could work out a deal to extend the AHRA.
/Of course, easier said than done./

**** The Sims Bowling Comes To iPod <http://playlistmag.com/news/2007/07/17/bowling/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Playlist

**** Parallels Desktop 3: Leading 'Windows On Mac' Solution Adds New Features <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/reviews/parallels3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
Parallels Desktop 3.0 is currently the best solution for running WIndows, Linux, or any of many other operating systems alongside OS X. Unless you need full 3-D graphics support, or support for some esoteric hardware, Parallels will probably get the job done for you.

**** Apple Retail Stores Turn Out Best Third Quarter Yet <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/17/apple_retail_stores_turn_out_best_third_quarter_yet.html>
by Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

**** Google Cookies Will 'Auto Delete' <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6901946.stm>
by BBC News
Google has said that its cookies, tiny files stored on a computer when a user visits a website, will auto delete after two years.

**** Never Use A Warning When You Mean Undo <http://www.alistapart.com/articles/neveruseawarning>
by Aza Raskin, A List Apart
Warnings cause us to lose our work, to mistrust our computers, and to blame ourselves. A simple but foolproof design methodology solves the problem. "Never use a warning when you mean undo."

**** Microsoft Patents The Mother Of All Adware Systems <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html>
by John McBride, Ars Technica
It's such a tremendously bad idea that it's almost bound to succeed. Microsoft has filed another patent, this one for an "advertising framework" that uses "context data" from your hard drive to show you advertisements and "apportion and credit advertising revenue" to ad suppliers in real time. Yes, Redmond wants to own the patent on the mother of all adware.

**** Why We're Like A Million Monkeys On Treadmills <http://www.micropersuasion.com/2007/07/why-were-like-a.html>
by Steve Rubel, Micro Persuation
Channels are good and so is curiousity. But the bigger story in the long run is how these sites change business and our society.

**** Why I Dropped Scoble And Seceded From The Hunt For Newer Shinier Things <http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/wordpress/2007/07/17/why-i-dropped-scoble-and-seceded-from-the-hunt-for-newer-shinier-things/>
by Dave Slusher, Evil Genius Chronicles
Getting out of the ever escalating rat-race of keeping up with whatever the ot site/service/Web 2.0 gimcrack of the moment is carries a lot of benefit to me.

**** Quebec And Vermont Towns Bond Over A Sleepy Border <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/world/americas/18border.html>
by Ian Austen, New York Times
Once a symbol of cross-border friendship, Lee Street has become a source of anxiety for security officials in both the United States and Canada who have stepped up border security since Sept. 11, 2001. But a proposal by a joint border task force to block Lee and two other unguarded streets that cross between Stanstead, Quebec, and Derby Line, Vt., has, if anything, united the towns.

**** Just The Thing To Carry Your Conscience In <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dining/18bags.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Marian Burros, New York Times
If you are reading this anytime after dawn on Wendesday, you are probably too late to make a fashion statement and simultaneously keep the world safe from plastic bags.

**** Bureau Of Missing Persons <http://www.slate.com/id/2164574/>
by James Reiss, Slate

**** You Are Now Free To Pollute About The Country <http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/07/18/air_travel/index_np.html>
by Katharine Mieszkowski, Salon
Air travel is the latest guilt trip for the environmentally conscious consumer. Here's how flying contributes to global warming and what is being done to cool the jets.

**** University Places - Numbers Don't Add Up <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/07/18/university-places-numbers-dont-add-up/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** Explaining A Discrepancy... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/07/explaining-discrepancy.html>
by Diary Of A Singapore Mind

**** Does MM Lee Need To Remind Former Colleagues To Tell The Truth? <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/07/why-did-mm-lee-need-to-remind-former.html>
by Urbanrant

**** Citibank Credit Card Targeted At Those Earning Less Than $30,000 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/288944/1/.html>
by Tung Shing Yi, Channel NewsAsia

**** Government's Move To Raise Development Charge Will Slow En Bloc Sales <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/288939/1/.html>
by Daryl Loo, Channel NewsAsia
The Ministry of National Development has announced that development charge rates will be revised from the current 50 percent of the appreciation in land value to 70 percent.

**** Li Hongyi Was Punished For Contravening Orders: MINDEF <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/288938/1/.html>
by Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia
The defense ministry responded on Wednesday to reports and letters in the media on how a Singapore Armed FOrces officer was punished for "blowing the whistle" on his commanders who had allegedly turned a blind eye on a fellow officer's misconduct.
MINDEF said it is "important to return to the basics &mdash; the facts of the case, and the principles and procedures" for dealing with it.

**** Singapore Red Cross Does Not Support Replacement Donors <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/288925/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia
The Singapore Red Cross says it does not support the use of blood donated by family members during an emergency &mdash; a process known as replacement blood donations.
This is because the safety of the blood may be compromised byt he lack of time needed for necessary testing.

**** Heritage Awareness Rising Among Singaoreans: Study <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/288922/1/.html>
by Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia

**** Is The Haze Back? <http://ruggyryanlivesat.blogspot.com/2007/07/is-haze-back.html>
by Ryan's Ramblings

**** "But They Rule Out Any Protests" <http://onelesscar.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/but-they-rule-out-any-protest/>
by One Less Car
Y'know, when we reach whatever heaven is reserved for the worshippers of money, you'll be grateful that we chose to pursue economic development now.

**** Singapore Math Observations <http://kitchentablemath.blogspot.com/2007/07/singapore-math-observations-pt-1.html>
by Kitchen Table Math, The Sequel
Part 1 <http://kitchentablemath.blogspot.com/2007/07/singapore-math-observations-pt-1.html>, Part 2 <http://kitchentablemath.blogspot.com/2007/07/singapore-math-observations-pt-2.html>.

**** Singapore Is An Unhappy Place To Be In <http://missbeh.wordpress.com/2007/07/17/singapore-is-an-unhappy-place-to-be-in/>
by Excuse Me, But My Life Is Waiting
If life is about acquisition, how can we ever be content?

**** Checkpoint Officers Had Rendered Assistance <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_140161.html>
by N. Subhas, Singapore Civil Defence Force, Eunice Chu, Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, Straits Times
We are sorry that our officers might have given Mr Norhafiz the impression that they were unhelpful and uncaring. Our officers had tried their best to render assistance.
See Also:
No Help For Dying Dad At Woodlands Checkpoint <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_139352.html>, by Norhafiz Zahid, Straits Times.
Dying Man Ignored At Checkpoint Tells Us Why 'Experience' Is Dangerous <http://e-hung.blogspot.com/2007/07/dying-man-ignored-at-checkpoint-and.html>, by HUNGonline.

**** More EDB Audits <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/200680.asp>
by Derrick A Paulo, Today
The Auditor-General (AG) intends to audit EDB at least once every five years, said prime minister Lee Hisen Loong yesterday in reply to a parliamentary question by nominated MP Siew Kum Hong.
That applies also to other larger statutory boards, not all of which are audited annually by the AG. For the last five years, 24 statutory boards &mdash; which were not named &mdash; were not rotated for audit, said Mr Lee.

**** Forum On Section 377A <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2007/07/forum-on-section-377a.html>
by Siew Kum Hong
Sticking to a pure civil liberties argument will not lead to change. That is a cynical view of the state of affairs in Singaore, but I think it is sadly true.

**** Controversial Constitutional Amendment Sparks "Debate" <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/161228.html>
by Mollymeek
Ms Lim's concerns are legitimate as far as Molly can see and in no way reeks of conspiratorial paranoia.
/This is precisely why we shouldn't allow PAP government a wide majority in the parliament, so that the PAP cannot amend the constitution without any actual debate./