[MyAppleMenu] Jul 17, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 17 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Why Apple Will Never Make A 12" MacBook Pro <http://shawnblanc.net/2007/12-inch-mbp/>
by Shawn Blanc
Although many of us would love to see an ultra portable powerhouse, it's obvious that the 12" PowerBook has been buried in order to leave less clutter in the Macintosh product line.
/Or, maybe, the new OS X-based iPod is going to be more like a Macintosh than an iPod?/

**** The Falling Myth Of Apple Reliability <http://weblogs.java.net/blog/fabriziogiudici/archive/2007/07/the_falling_myt.html?from=myapplemenu>
by Fabrizio Giudici
Since I didn't buy Apple for the griffe, but because I wanted a system that didn't make me waste time or money, you understand why I am seriously disappointed.

**** SPI Labs Advises Avoiding iPhone Feature <http://portal.spidynamics.com/blogs/spilabs/archive/2007/07/16/SPI-Labs-advises-avoiding-iPhone-feature.aspx>
by SPI Laboratory
The Apple iPhone's Safari web browser has a special feature that allows the user to dial any phone number displayed on a web page simply by tapping the number. SPI labs has discovered that this feature can be exploited by attackers to perform various attacks.

**** iPhone Flooding Wireless LAN At Duke University <http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/071607-duke-iphone.html?fsrc=netflash-rss>
by John Cox, Network World
18,000 requests per second from iPhones knocking out dozens of access points at Duke University.

**** Multi-Touch On The Desktop <http://furbo.org/2007/07/16/multi-touch-on-the-desktop/>
by Craig Hockenberry, furbo.org
We've only just begun a journey that will fundamentally change the way we interact with machines. There will be an extended period where touch-based, mouse-based and keyboard-based interfaces will need to coexist.

**** Could YouTube Drag Apple Into Copyright Fight <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9745198-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com

**** Heredis 10.2: Genealogy Program Eases Collection Of Family Data <http://www.macworld.com/2007/07/reviews/heredis102/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jeffery Battersby, Macworld
Heredis 10.2.3 is a well-designed and versatile genealogy program.

**** Big Fish Games Releases Azada For Mac <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/16/azada.for.mac.released/>
by MacNN
Big Fish Games has released Azada for Mac OS X, a new puzzle game that challenges players to fill in the missing pages of an enchanted book to free the star from his prison.

**** Knox 1.5 Allows Full Disk Encryption <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/16/knox.15.update/>
by MacNN

**** Analyst: Apple June Quarter To Be Above Expectations <http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/07/16.1.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer

**** Find It Faster: PersonalBrain App Links Obscure Data <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027166&source=rss_topic123>
by Todd R. Weiss, Computerworld
Imagine being able to find a piece of obscure information on your hard drive quickly instead of having to remember where you saved it, because it's dynamically linked to related bits and pieces that more easily come to mind. That's the idea behind PersonalBrain, a 3-D information visualization and organization application from TheBrain Technologies LP.

**** Directing Digg <http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19057/?a=f>
by Jason Pontin, MIT Technology Review
Kevin Rose, founder of Digg.com, talks about why it's good that the site is out of control.

**** Betting On The Future Of Eldercare Technologies <http://news.com.com/Betting+on+the+future+of+eldercare+technologies/2008-1008_3-6196908.html?tag=nefd.lede>
by Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com

**** Internet Radio Rolls On <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/07/16/internet-radio-royalties-tech-media-cx_lh_0716netradio.html>
by Louis Hau, Forbes

**** No Mercry, Please, They're English <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/books/17kaku.html?ex=1342324800&en=4c67853925b279e7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Michiko Kakutani, New York Times
The British critic A.A. Gill loves the English language but detests the English people.

**** The Real Media Divide <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/15/AR2007071501110.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Markus Prior, Washington Post
Decades into the "information age," the public is as uninformed as before the rise of cable television and the internet.

**** Lake Water <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2007/07/23/070723po_poem_ferry>
by David Ferry, New Yorker

**** Shauntrelle <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/07/23/070723fi_fiction_nelson>
by Antonya Nelson, New Yorker

**** Back From The Dead <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19751440/site/newsweek/>
by Jerry Adler, Newsweek
Doctors are reinventing how they treat sudden cardiac arrest, which is fatal 95 percent of the time. A report from the border between life and death.

**** The Thing About Upbringing <http://jenny.lah.cc/archives/203>
by C'est Ma Vie
I don't know why, but it just irks me whenever I hear hokkien vulgarities. But it bothers me more, when I hear it coming out of a boy who looks like he is only in primary school.

**** LTA To Intall New Bollards At 400 Bus Stops By 2008 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_140045.html>
by Straits Times
These bus stops are along roads wehre speed limits have been raised, said transport minister Raymond Lim in parliament on Tuesday.

**** Flat Economics In Singapore <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/07/flat-economics-.html>
by Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

**** Singapore's Grand Education Hub Plan: Delusional? Or A Case Of Bad Strategy? <http://urbanrant.blogspot.com/2007/07/singapore-grand-education-hub-plan.html>
by Urbanrant
I am appalled to learn that trade and industry ministry has decided to give out S$17.2 million worth of grants and another S$15 million in loans to a university for which even the business plan has not been reviewed or vetted.

**** Reply By Minister Teo Chee Hean On Compensation For Dead And Injured Servicemen <http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2007/jul/17jul07_nr.html>
by Ministry Of Defence, Singapore Government

**** Displaying The National Flag During National Day Celebrations 2007 <http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/20070717984.htm>
by Ministry Of Information, Communications And The Arts, Singapore Government

**** Enough Places In Local Universities For Singaporeans: MOE <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/288702/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
The number of universities places should not be expanded too quickly so as to ensure quality, according to the education ministry, when asked by Parliamentarians if there were enough places in the local universities for Singapore students.

**** Ian McKellen Urges Singapore To Recognise Gay Rights <http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/ian-mckellen-urges-singapore-to-recognise-gay-rights/20073417-o84.html>
by AFP
British actor Ian McKellen on Tuesday urged tightly-government Singapore to loosen up and repeal its archaic laws barring homosexual acts. The openly gay McKellen indicated the laws, which are remnants of British colonial rule, may affect a vibrant business city like Singapore, which is vying with other Asian cities to draw more foreign talent and professionals.
McKellen was in Singapore as part of the Royal Shakespeare Company's world tour to stage William Shakespeare's "King Lear" and Anton Chekhov's "The Seagull" at the Esplanade, Southeast Asia's most modern performing arts centre.

**** Singapore Looking Forward To Work With Malaysia To Liberalise Air Services <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/288519/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
A transport ministry spokesman said Singapore hopes to be able to liberalise the Air Services Agreement with Malaysia ahead of ASEAN's commitment to lift all restrictions on passenger flights between ASEAN capitals by 2008.

**** 13% Of Students Who Borrowed From Parents' CPF Accounts Have Not Paid Back Money <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/288661/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Manpower minister Dr Ng Eng Hen says 13 percent of students who had borrowed from their parents' CPF accounts for tertiary education have not been able to pay back the money despite the board's enforcement efforts. Hence, to better prepare Singapore for the needs of the ageing population, he said the ministry should not extend the use of CPF money for educational purposes.

**** More Measures To Prevent Bankrupts From Skipping Town <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/288656/1/.html>
by Ng Baoying, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Says Will Exercise Patience On Defence Pact <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2007/7/17/singapore-says-will-exercise-patience-on-defence-pact/>
by Antara
Singapore said Monday it will exercise patience to resolve differences over a series of defence agreements with Indonesia, but Jakarta should not make any substantive changes.

**** Opening Of KL-Singapore Route Could Drive Airfares Down <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/7/17/business/18324621&sec=business>
by B.K. Sidhu, The Star
The opening of the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore air sector will not only benefit regional budget carriers but also drive airfares down.

**** Concert Truly A Sight Sore Eyes <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/200489.asp>
by Kuang Jingkai, Today
Laser beamed at patrons to stop camera use posed risk to eyes.

**** Jackpot Machines The 'Lifeline' Of Many Clubs <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_139727.html>
by Yap Su-Yin and Amelia Tan, Straits Times
/It is not explicitly said out loud in this article, but I get this feeling of the spin put out by the clubs that they feel that gambling is bad, but for the sake of funding other activities, they are "bearing" with it./
/That's just wrong. Even if they do not believe that gambling is bad, this is stll a wrong spin to take./

**** Was Officer Who Went AWOL A 'Princeling'? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_139730.html>
by Chan Hwa Loon, Straits Times
Reading the article, one is troubled by whether the officer is the son of some hotshot who thought he could get away with such a serious matter as AWOL.
See Also:
SAF Would Do Well To Protect Whistle-Blowers <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_139728.html>, by Lin Junjie, Straits Times. Although 2nd Lt Li's act of 'broadcasting hs letter' was improper, it highlights a frustration shared by many servicemen with the current system of providing feedback - more often than not, it is not taken seriously.