[MyAppleMenu] Jul 2, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 2 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Adobe Completes Creative Suite 3 <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9738476-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Elsa Wenzel, CNET News.com
Adobe is shipping the final two editios of its Creative Suite 3 today, rounding off the first updates to its digital design software ince a merger with Macromedia les than two years ago.

**** 24 Hours With The iPhone: My Dream Mini Computer <http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2007/07/01/24-hours-with-the-iphone-my-dream-mini-computer/>
by A Whole Lotta Nothing
The thing that really knocked my socks off was Safari.

**** Four iPhones Per Person At Apple Stores <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/four-iphones-per-person-at-apple-stores-274085.php>
by Gizmodo

**** Race Is On To Unlock The iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/01/iphone_unlock/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service
Now that Apple's iPhone is finally on sale, the race is on to see who can unlock it.
Unlocking the iPhone will enable the handset to be used with any cellular provider with a GSM or EDGE network, not just AT&amp;T's networ. That's an attractive proposition for users who already have a cellular contract with another carrier, or users outside the U.S. who can't wait to get their hands on Apple's new handset.

**** Piper Jaffray: 500,000 iPhones Sold Over The Weekend <http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9738446-1.html>
by Tom Krazit, CNET Crave
Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster released a report Sunday night estimating that Apple sold about 500,000 units from 6 p.m. Friday through the close of business Sunday.

**** iPhone Not Quite The Cash Cow eBay Sellers Were Hoping <http://spring.newsvine.com/_news/2007/07/01/812167-iphone-not-quite-the-cash-cow-ebay-sellers-were-hoping>
by Corey Spring, Newsvine
Many of the iPhone auctions weren't sellling, slightly over half came and went without a single bidder.

**** Download-To-DVD Now An Option For Apple, CinemaNow, Others <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070701-download-to-dvd-now-an-option-for-apple-cinemanow-others.html>
by Ken Fisher, Ars Technica
Commercial video download sites like CinemaNow and the iTunes Store will soon have the option of allowing customers to burn copies of downoaded movies to DVDs that will playback in standard DVD players, thanks to an amendment recently approved by the DVD Copy Control Association.
/And all along, I've wondered why Apple (and many others) didn't pay attention to the VCD format, which is big in Asia, and many, if not all, DVD players can play VCD too./

**** Universal Music May Not Renew iTunes Contract <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118334130094154901.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Ethan Smith and Nick Wingfield, Wall Street Journal
Highlighting ongoing tension between the music industry and Apple Inc., Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group is set to notify the Cupertino, Calif. company that it is not renewing a long term contract to sell digital music downloads through the increasingly powerful iTunes Store, according to people familiar with the situation.
Instead, Universal, which is the world's largest music company by market share, expects to go to a short-term sales agreement.
See Also:
Apple Faces Rebellion Over iTunes: Universal Won't Renew Contract <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/322079_itunes02.html>, by Jeff Leeds, New York Times.
Steve Jobs Vs. Universal <http://insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com/2007/07/steve-jobs-vs-universal.html>, by Jerry Del Colliano, Inside Music Media. Here's the theory I think is most likely. Consumers steal more music.

**** The iPod That's Really A Phone <http://www.macworld.com/2007/06/features/iphone_ipod/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
How the iPhone is like Apple's music player &mdash; and how it isn't.

**** Chasing The iPhone <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/02/technology/02cellphone.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin>
by Martin Fackler, New York Times
Now that analysts and industry executives are getting their first good look at the iPhone, many are concerned that Asian manufacturers may have underestimated the Apple threat.
/Many people &mdash; manufacturers and consumers alike &mdash; didn't realize that a lot of the iPod magic is in the software. Software that exists on the iPod itself and, more important, the piece of software called iTunes. But the iPhone, well, it's not difficult ot realise that software plays a very important role. (Nevertheless, many may still miss out on the importance of iTunes, even for the iPhone.) And that's why iPhone imitators in Asia will probably have a harder time than iPod imitators, because software development hasn't really been a strong point for a lot of these Asian manufacturers./

**** AT&amp;T Says iPhone Acitvation Improving <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/01/ap3875312.html>
by Sudhin Thanawala, Associated Press
AT&amp;T Inc. said Sunday that situation has improved. "We are working on any issues on an individual basis with customers who were impacted," said Michael Coe, a spokesman for AT&amp;T.

**** iPhone Processor Found: 620MHz ARM CPU <http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/01/iphone-processor-found-620mhz-arm/>
by Ryan Block, Engadget

**** How To Port 'Ineligible' Mobile Numbers To AT&amp;T And iPhone <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/30/how_to_port_ineligible_mobile_numbers_to_att_and_iphone.html>
by Kasper Jade, AppleInsider
/Looks like you'll encounter problems activating your iPhone if you've moved to a different ZIP code than your existing mobile phone number... Looks like your mobile phone's DRM is worse than iTunes'. :-)/

**** Problem Solved &mdash; Readable Websites On An iPhone <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2007/07/01/problemSolvedReadableWebsi.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News
The trick is to add a &lt;meta&gt; element to the page.

**** iPhone And iPod Accessories: What Works, What Doesn't <http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/01/iphone-and-ipod-accessories-what-works-what-doesnt/>
by Nilay Patel, Engadget
While it looks like a buch of third-party headphones are out, most iPod accessories seem to work, although the iPhone isn't exactly happy about it &mdash; it pops up a warning and offers to put itself in airplane mode so you don't hose your speakers with GSM signal noise.
See Also:
="http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/01/apple-creates-iphone-specific-trailers-site/">Apple Creates iPhone-Specific Trailers Site</a>
by David Chartier, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Clicking this icon appears to take the user to an iPod-like app, where the trailer begins to buffer, and all movie controls are available.

**** All The News That's Fit To Print Out <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/magazine/01WIKIPEDIA-t.html?ref=magazine>
by Jonathan Dee, New York Times
How did the world's biggest online encyclopedia turn into a leading source of daily journalism?

**** Ben Goodger Of Firefox On How Being A Very Young Volunteer In The World Can Pan Out <http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/01/CMGJTQA4VV1.DTL>
by Sam Whiting, San Francisco Chronicle

**** The Six Stages Of E-Mail <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/opinion/01ephron.html?ex=1340942400&en=fac73f5e5145fa7d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Nora Ephron, New York Times
Stage one: Infatuation. I just got e-mail! I can't believe it! It's so great!

**** Fated To Be Friends <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/30/AR2007063000767.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Steve Hendrix, Washington Post
One defied orders to leave the other behind to die; Decades later, the rescuer saw his patient in traffic: 2 chance encounters sparked a lifelong 2-member fraternity.

**** Tackling Le Tour <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6252944.stm>
by Claire Heald, BBC News
The Tour de France is the summit of achievement for any professional cyclist, but how far can an amateur with a fold-up bike get on the course?

**** No Vice <http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/07/01/no_vice/>
by Sanford Levinson, Boston Globe
There's a lot of talk &mdash; and wishful thinking &mdash; about removing Dick Cheney from office. But Cheney isn't the real problem. The vice presidency itself, enshrined in the Constitution, is the problem. The country would be better without it.

**** Root Beer Roots <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/26/AR2007062601413.html>
by Michael Rosenwald, Washington Post
The soft-drink stand that gave birth to a hotel empire is long gone. But the Marriotts still cling to the values it represents, even in a business climate where hip trumps wholesome.

**** The Final Days <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/magazine/01world-t.html?ex=1340942400&en=6a22e88465afbdd0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Benjamin Anastas, New York Times
A growing community of amateur scholars believe that the world as we know it will come to an end in 2012, as prophesied by the ancient Maya. Is the New Age apocalypse coming round at last?

**** Most Merchants To Continue Accepting NETS Despite Higher Fee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/285769/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia
Most of the 13,000 merchants who accept payment by NETS have agreed to continue doing so, despite incurring higher costs as of 1 July. This is according to NETS.

**** Filmmaker Digs Up Singapore's Forgotten Past <http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSSIN21006020070702>
by Wee Sui Lee, Reuters
Faded footage of people in motor-powered sampans flickers and crackles on the screen. Mangrove swamps fill the landscape. It is Singapore in the 1950s.
These flashbacks from a bygone era are seen in "Invisible City," a one-hour documentary featuring people in search of Singapore's past by local filmmaker Tan Pin Pin.

**** Full Cooperation From Johor Umno For WPI, Says Najib <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/state_news/news.php?id=270678&cat=nt>
by Bernama
"Singapore investors can be accepted and we welcome them as investors in the development planning framework for the Iskandar Development Region (WPI) which had already been drawn up," deputy prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said. He was commenting on the statement by Singapore minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew who said that Singapore investors must ascertain whether their presence in the WPI was welcome as there was opposition from Umno leaders, especially from Johor.

**** Unintended Consequences <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-758.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
The primary objectives are met, but then secondary consequences roll in.

**** Nets Trims Some Retailers' Fees - With A Catch <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_134938.html>
by Lim Wei Chean, Straits Times
The Network for Electronic Transfers (Nets) has softene its stance on its recently announced fee increase by offering some retailers a better deal - with a catch.
Four headland merchant associations, with almost 4,000 members, have told The Straits Times that Nets has offered to charge them a lower rate, but only if they do not have other debit or credit payment facilities.

**** Social Harmony: Races Must Mix More <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/197663.asp>
by Lin Yanqin, Today
North East District mayor Zainul Abidin Rasheed stressed that peace was not to be taken for granted. "We must continue to encourage the different races to mix, and we are constantly challenged to be creative in our efforts."