[MyAppleMenu] Jul 1, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 1 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Several AT&amp;T Stores Forced Customers To Buy Accessories With iPhone <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ripoff/breaking-several-att-stores-forced-customers-to-buy-accessories-with-iphone-273992.php>
by Gizmodo

**** iSee Into The Future, Therefore iAm <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/weekinreview/01bryant.html?ex=1340942400&en=cbca6f83a8ef35d6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Adam Bryant, New York Times
These days, new can seem so yesterday. What matters is what's next.

**** iPhone iPlenty: The Sell-Out That Wasn't <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070630-iphones-iplenty-the-sell-out-that-wasnt.html>
by Ken Fisher, Ars Technica
Only Steve Jobs could get people to wait in line for something that, well, you didn't need to wait in line for.

**** The iPhone: Two Reviews, One Conclusion &mdash; It's A Glimpse Of The Future <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9026020>
by Ken Mingis, Computerworld

**** Cupertino, We Have A Problem <http://www.kottke.org/07/06/cupertino-we-have-a-problem>
by Jason Kottke
Looks like it's the plastic sheath around the headphone plug that's the problem.
See Also:
Apple Wants You To Buy Their Headphones For iPhone <http://www.smoothharold.com/2007/06/apple-wants-you-to-buy-their-headphones.html>, by Smooth Harold.

**** iPhone Launch, AT&amp;T Vs. Apple Store <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/a-tale-of-two-companies/iphone-launch-att-vs-apple-store-273978.php>
by Gizmodo

**** iPhone Experience: The Keyboard <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/30/experiencing-iphone-the-keyboard/>
by Dave Caolo, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
For us, "slow and deliberate" is the name of the game.

**** Steve Shows Up For iPhone Launch <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/30/steve-shows-up-for-iphone-launch/>
by Dave Caolo, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** "I Take The iPhone Home" <http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1639068,00.html?xid=rss-business>
by Lev Grossman, Time
Steve Jobs has said, repeatedly, that this is the best iPod that Apple has ever made, and it is. It's also the best phone that anybody has ever made.

**** Big iPhone Headache: Waiting For AT&amp;T Activation <http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9738300-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com
So I admit it: I bought an iPhone. That was the easy part. But I should have realized that if the customer service whizzes at AT&amp;T could find a way to mar what was otherwise a perfectly pleasant experience, they would.

**** How Tough Is The iPhone? <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,133636-pg,1/article.html>
by Eric Butterfield, PC World
PC World manhandles the new Apple phone to see how much abuse it can take. Conclusion: There's no need to coddle this sexy little device.

**** Why Computers Can't Surpass Go And Collect $1 Million <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/ben_macintyre/article2002699.ece>
by Ben Macintyre, The Times
There is one game in which the computer is still no match for Man, a game in which a competent teenager can beat the world's most sophisticatd computer program with ease: and that is the ancient Chinese board game Go, the oldest game in the world, and the only one at which man remains the undisputed champion.

**** A Challenge To Gene Theory, A Tougher Look At Biotech <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/business/yourmoney/01frame.html?ex=1340942400&en=e8a6202e0162538f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Denise Caruso, New York Times
The $73.5 billion global biotech buisiness may soon have to grapple with a discovery that calls into question the scientific principles on which it was founded.

**** The Little Emperor Speaketh <http://shar101.wordpress.com/2007/07/01/the-little-emperor-speaketh/>
by O.B.E.
Seriously, are we 'broke' as a nation and <Singapore> is the only source for <foreign investment> or are our leaders simply too lazy to look farther afield to bring about 'better' investors for nation building?

**** Singapore: Where Nature, Clubbing And Cuisine Intersect <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/01/CMG6VPLE1K1.DTL&type=travel>
by Matt Villano, San Francisco Chronicle
/Allan Wu, the host of Amazing Race Asia, talks about Singapore./

**** Singapore Awaits Response From Indonesia On DCA <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/285572/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia
Defence minister Teo Chee Hean said Singapore has made a proposal to Indonesia on how both countries can move forward to Indonesia on how both countries can move forward on the Defence Cooperation Agreement (DCA) and it is now awaiting a response from Jakarta.
/It seems that Malaysia has successfully given Singapore a bad reputation in negotiation, and nobody in the neighbourhood trusts the Singapore government anymore./

**** New Checks After Prisoner Given Extra Strokes Of The Cane By Mistake <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/285548/1/.html>
by Ng Baoying, Channel NewsAsia
Prisons officers verfiied the number of strokes to be meted out with the prisoner three times before caning.
/This is an extremely poor excuse. A prisoner may not dare to question authority, given that his freedom has already been taken away from him. To repeatedly quote this as an excuse is wrong./

**** Race And The IC <http://jollypuddle.com/?p=565>
by Flying Low
Maybe removing race from ICs will not get rid of our prejudices but what purpose does it serve to have it there?

**** Sustainable Life In Singapore, And The World We Live In <http://alien-whinge.blogspot.com/2007/07/sustainable-life-in-singapore-and-world.html>
by Whinges Of An Alien
The next time someone tells me how great Singapore is, I will give him/her a big tight slap.

**** Don't Exepct Special Treatment In IDR, SIngaporean Investors Told <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=270520>
by Jackson Sawatan, Bernama
Singapore companies intending to invest in the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) cannot expect privileged treatment from Malaysia just like the "generous treatment" accorded by China to investors from Hong Kong in Shenzhen province, minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew said.
Lee, still an influential figure in the Singapore cabinet, said Singapore compaies must evaluate whether their presence are welcomed at IDR as there are protests from among Umno leaders, especially from Johor.

**** Island Treasure <http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2007/7/1/lifearts/18126523&sec=lifearts>
by Ooi Kok Chuen, The Star
In just 10 years, the Singapore Art Museum has amassed the largest collection of 20th century South-East Asian art by a public institution and it plans to make it even bigger and better.

**** Centre Of Curves <http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2007/7/1/lifeliving/18177068&sec=lifeliving>
by Malini Dias, The Star
Shopping centres aren't, for the most part, designed to encourage sitting and dreaming. This is why VivoCity is different. This place is designed to embrace its harbour front position and create that peaceful, easy feeling of being by the sea, of kicking back and relaxing. Most un-Singaporean!

**** 'Removing Race From IC Won't Erase Biases' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_134708.html>
by Keith Lin, Straits Times
Removing race from the Singapore identity card will not see the end of racial stereotypes, said foreign miniser George Yeo yesterday.
/Must we only adopt methods that solve the 'entire problem'? Can't we take smaller steps whenever we can? I'm disappointed by George Yeo's reply and his apparent side-stepping of the issue raised by the proposal./

**** 3 Extra Strokes For Prisoner: Government Regrets Error <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_134719.html>
by Tan Dawn Wei and K.C. Vijayan, Straits Times