[MyAppleMenu] Jan 16, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jan 16 13:15:02 EST 2007

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** Adobe Labs Ships eBook Software For Macs
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16964>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Apple, Microsoft Have Designs On Your Living Room
<http://news.com.com/Apple,+Microsoft+have+designs+on+your+living+room/2100-1041_3-6150127.html>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

If you're looking to give your home a digital makeover, both Apple and Microsoft have some idea.

*** Apple Has Toxic Core: Greenpeace
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/16/greenpeace_slams_apple/>
Emmet Ryan, The Register

Despite Apple's launch of the eco-friendly iPhone last week, Greenpeace is demanding an environmental revolution that will shake the company to its core.

*** iPhone Accused Of Copycatting Korean Model
<http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech/200701/kt2007011618245011800.htm>
Kim Tae-Gyu, Korea Times

*** The Apple Of Your Ear
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1576854,00.html>
Lev Grossman, Time

The iPhone started out the way a lot of cool things do: as something completely different. A few years ago, Steve Jobs noticed how many development dollars were being spent -- particularly in the greater Seattle metropolitan area -- on what are called tablet PCs: flat portable computers that work with a touch screen instead of a ouse and keyboard. Jobs, being Jobs, was curious. He had some Apple engineers noodle around with a touch screen. When they showed him what they came up with, he got excited. So execited he forgot all about tablet cmputers. He had bigger game to hunt.

*** US Attorney Investigating Apple Stock Options
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id%3b423738734%3bfp%3b2%3bfpid%3b1>
Robert Mullins, IDG News Service

*** Macworld Vs CES: Macworld Emerges As Victor
<http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2007-01-16T005406Z_01_N14341892_RTRUKOC_0_US-MACWORLD-CES.xml>
Reuters

*** Apple Newton Versus iPhone
<http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2007/01/in_1998_steve_j.html>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

Curious to find out what Newton fans make of the iPhone, I emailed a few. They're drooling, but they're not going to abandon the Newton just yet.

*** Apple To Impose 802.11n Unlocking Fee On Intel Mac Owners
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2398>
Katie Marsal and Kasper Jade, AppleInsider

*** Is Your Mac Reaching End Of Support? Handy List Inside
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/1/15/6636>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

*** Xserve RAID Storage Installed At South Pole
<http://alienraid.org/article.php?story=icecuberaid>
alienRAID.org

*** Can iPhone Relieve iPod Margin Squeeze?
<http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=20751&hed=Can+iPhone+Relieve+iPod+Margin+Squeeze%3F+>
Scott Martin, Red Herring

iPods sales are up, prices are down. Blame cheap Nanos and Shuffles.

*** Cingular Exec Hints At More iPhones In Development
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=16953>
Macworld UK

Apple may have additional models of iPhone in development and these could be fast-tracked to market, according to a senior Cingular executive.

*** The iPhone: What You Need To Know
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/01/firstlooks/iphonefl/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes and Jonathan Seff, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** iPhone, iHope, iDream
<http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2007/01/16/iphone_ihope_idream/>
Boston Globe

Details, details. In iParadise, life is always dandy.

*** Why Apple Makes Me Cry
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72473-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Momus, Wired News

For someone like me, an Apple keynote speech is much more than a new product announcement. It's a sermon, a series of miracles and a rousing patriotic oration about the homeland.

*** The Ongoing Apple Death Watch
<http://www.macnightowl.com/2007/01/15/the-ongoing-apple-death-watch/>
Mac Night Owl

*** The MacBook Pro The Most Desirable Laptop?
<http://www.devicepedia.com/mac/the-macbook-pro-the-most-desirable-laptop.html>
DevicePedia.com

*** Justifying Apple's iPhone Restrictions: They Want It ToSuceed
<http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2007/01/justifying-apples-iphone-restrictions>
Blackfriars Blog

Any flaw, any blemish, any mistake in estimating demand is fair game for consumers to state that Apple isn't living up to its brand promise.

*** iPhone Trails
<http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/195-iphone-trails>
37 Signals

What if I could make shapes or trails on the iPhone sceen to visit a web site, sms someone, or speed dial?

*** Apple's Lock-In: Deal With It
<http://www.globalnerdy.com/blog/_archives/2007/1/15/2652953.html>
George Scriban, Global Nerdy

The iPhone doesn't seem like a particularly restrictive device to me. At least not yet.

*** iPhone Or Not: What's In A Name?
<http://theappleblog.com/2007/01/15/iphone-or-not-whats-in-a-name/>
The Apple Blog

*** Learn Your Vision From Visionaries
<http://getstrategic.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2007/1/15/2652158.html>
Julian Mills, Get Strategic

The unique qualities of Jobs and Gates could foster admiration more than emulation. But while few of us possess the intelligence, ego, insight, charisma, and drive required to transform industries, the success of both men teach valuable lessons about vision and strategy that we can all apply.

*** Steve Jobs Too 'In' To Be Forced Out?
<http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243805,00.html>
Neil Cavuto, Fox News

Options scandals have taken conventional chief executives down. But then again, they were conventional. Steve is not. He's hip.

[Review]

*** SketchFighter 4000 Alpha: Simple Graphis Belie Powerful Fun Shoot-Em-Up
<http://www.macworld.com/2007/01/reviews/sketchfighter4000/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

SketchFighter is a retro joy, not only for its bored middle school look and feel, but for its 1980s-style shoot-em-up action. Sure to be a bona fide classic in no time.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Where Are You?
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/16463659.htm>
Therese Poletti, San Jose Mercury News

Location-based services are easing parents' fears, helping drivers and hikers, making many feel nervous.

*** Novel Chip Architecure Could Extend Moore's Law
<http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=18063&ch=infotech>
Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review

Hewlett-Packard researchers have designed a faster, more energy-efficient chip by packing in more transistors -- without shrinking them.

*** Privately, Hollywood Admits DRM Isn't About Piracy
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070115-8616.html>
Ken Fisher, Ars Technica

*** Newspapers Should Own Local Search Results
<http://dondodge.typepad.com/the_next_big_thing/2007/01/newspapers_shou.html>
Don Dodge

*** Forget Neutrality -- Keep Packets Private
<http://gigaom.com/2007/01/14/forget-neutrality-keep-packets-private>
Daniel Berninger, GigaOM

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** The Lost Art Of The Letter
<http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/20/1/8/1>
Robert P Crease, Physics Web

The internet is affecting not only how scientists communiate, but also how future science historians wil have to work.

[Expressions]

*** Death's Doorman
<http://www.slate.com/id/2154890/fr/rss/>
Daniel Bosch, Slate

*** Heirs
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/070122fi_fiction_oz>
Amos Oz, New Yorker

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[News]

*** Singapore Regrets Thailand's Decision To Suspend Civil Service Exchange Programme
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/252876/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Foreign Affairs Ministrys says the Singapore government hopes that Thailand can appreciate Singapore's position on the visit. MFA says the Thai government did not notify Singapore that Dr Thaksin has been charged with any offence, and there is no reason for Singapore to turn Dr Thaksin away.

*** Thai-Singapore Ties On The Brink: Thailand Cancels Invitation To Singapore's Foreign Minister
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/01/16/headlines/headlines_30024285.php>
The Nation

Thai government rescinded Tuesday the visit of Singapore's foreign minister later this month after ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's meeting with Singapore deputy prime minister. The government also announced it was suspending a civil service exchange program with Singapore and canceled a meeting about the program that was to be held later thismonth.

*** Singapore Teen First To Be Sentenced For Wireless Piggybacking
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070116/tc_afp/singaporesentenceinternet_070116113737>
AFP

*** HK, Singapore Ranked World's Freest Economies In '07
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/16/AR2007011600133.html>
James Pomfret, Reuters

Asia again topped a survey which ranks the world's freest economies in 2007, with Hong Kong in first place and Singapore in second position.

*** Singapore Open To Proposals On Bullet Train Between KL And Singapore
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/252816/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore has said it is open to proposals on a US$2.3b plan to build a bullet train rail link between Singapore and the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur as long as both countries benefit.

*** Lanes To Get Buses Up To Speed
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/166091.asp>
Derrick A Paulo, Today

Bus lane scheme to widen, premium services get a boost.

*** Sentosa Jetty, But Where Will The Boat Go?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/166085.asp>
Jasmine Yin, Today

Ferry service likely to return on a smaller scale.

*** Thai Government: Singapore Envoy Summoned Over Ex-PM's Meetings
<http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStory.aspx?cpath=20070115%5cACQDJON200701152132DOWJONESDJONLINE000300.htm&>
Associated Press

Thailand has summoned Singapore's ambassador to discuss why ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was granted meetings with officials during a visit to the island nation, the Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.

*** KL Backs Bullet Train Proposal
<http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/Tuesday/Nation/BT603848.txt/Article/>
Reuters

Malaysia gave its backing yesterday to a US$2.3 billion plan to build a bullet train between Kuala Lumpur and neighbouring Singapore, saying that a study has shown the proposal is feasible.

*** MDA Offers Two New IPTV Licences To Stimulate Local Market
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/252662/1/.html>
Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** Why Non-Vioence Is Not Mischief
<http://www.yawningbread.org/guest_2007/guw-127.htm>
Charles Tan, Yawningbread.org

*** O Levels To Uni: Time To Relook JC Education
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:a7eabe778d620110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Khoo Lih-Han, Straits Times

I see no problem with our students heading straight to university after their O Levels.

*** How Many Jobs Did Singapore Citizens Get: The Answer (More Or Less)
<http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/136432.html>
mollymeek

If we take the IPS academics' estiamtes to have a certain degree of acuracy, roughly 30% of jobs going to Singapore citizens does indeed sound scary.

*** Romance At The Speed Of Light
<http://lonegreysquirrel.blogspot.com/2007/01/romance-at-speed-of-light.html>
Realm Of The Lone Grey Squirrel

In today's mad rush of living, is there time for love, romance and family?

*** Will Our Ministers Ever Sit Down With Adult Singapoeans?
<http://zyberzitizen.wordpress.com/2007/01/15/will-our-ministers-ever-sit-down-with-adult-singaporeans/>
Zyberzitizen

I am rather overwhelmed with all the fluff and the airy-fairy-we-are-so-dandy propaganda being dished out.

*** A New Whipping Boy For Singaporean Bloggers
<http://aaron-ng.info/blog/a-new-whipping-boy-for-singaporean-bloggers.html>
Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!