[MyAppleMenu] Jan 17, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 17 13:15:01 EST 2007

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/>
Mac news for Mac people

[News]

*** As QuickTime Hits Milestone, Apple Looks Ahead
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/16/quicktime/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple and Philip Michaels, Macworld

On the eve of the annual NAMM Show celebrating the latest advances in music and audio products, Apple executives gathering for the Anaheim trade show were celebrating an ahicevement of their own -- the rapid growth of QuickTime 7.

*** Hold The iPhone: This Thing Still Needs Marketing
<http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=114293>
Beth Snyder Bulik and Alie Z. Cuneo, Advertising Age

This is going to be a test of the mass-affluence theory that Americans are now willing to pay big bucks for elegant design or products with great stories.

*** Apple Wins Six Patents Relating To iChat, Text-To-Speech, More
<http://www.macnn.com/blogs/?p=247>
MacNN

*** ConceptDraw Project 3 Released
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/16/project3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Forget The Apple Phone, Give Me A Newton Anytime!
<http://www.designsojourn.com/index.php/2007/01/17/forget-the-apple-phone-give-me-a-newton-anytime/>
Design Sojourn

The key, I think, is to look at what's wrong with the Apple Phone and why it's not the new Newton on steroids?

*** Here's An iDea, Jobs: Quit Fleecing Stockholders
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2003527822_harrop17.html>
Froma Harrop, Seattle Times

Sorry, Steve. Creating fabulous computers doesn't give you the right to take your fellow shareholders to the cleaners. The yays don't cancel out the boos.

*** Is Apple Sandbagging The iPhone?
<http://scobleizer.com/2007/01/17/is-apple-sandbagging-the-iphone/>
Robert Scoble

I think Steve is trying to get a better deal from Jonathan Schwartz, CEO of Sun.

*** OS X
<http://daringfireball.net/2007/01/os_x>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

This distinction between "OS X" and "Mac OS X" is loose, but makes sense.

*** The "I" Of The Storm: iPhones, iPains, And iProblems
<http://wistechnology.com/article.php?id=3626>
Naseem Javed, WTN

*** iPhone's Downsized Wide Screen
<http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9677969-1.html?tag=rsspr.6150498>
Jon Falcone, CNET

It appears that Apple's uberdevice utilizes a toally proprietary 1.5:1 aaspect ratio.

*** Mac + PC Sittin' In A Tree: Apple's Platform-Agnostic Push
<http://www.macuser.com/speculation/the_mac_vs_windows_war_draws_t.php?lsrc=murss>
Dan Moren, MacUser

The release of the iPhone will only reinforce this position: say goodbye to the "halo effect," the idea that increased iPod sales will encourage iPod users to get a Mac -- with its major products being platform agnostic, I'm not sure that Apple needs, or even really wants, to convert PC users to the Mac.

*** The iPhone And "Crippleware" Claims
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/01/iphonecrippleware/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

Find a way to satisfy both the music industry and consumers and you've made a good start. Currently, iTunes, with its 2 billion downloads, seems to have made that start.

*** Hands (And Fingers) On The iPhone
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2007/01/iphonehands/index.php>
Jason Snell, Macworld

One of the joys of using the iPhone is understanding that it's not just a press-and-hold interface, but one that can be controlled by numerous gestures, most of them fairly intuitive.

[Review]

*** TuneCenter From Griffin Technology
<http://www.surfbits.com/?p=1008>
SurfBits

All things considered, TuneCenter is not a bad little product. It does what it says even if it is a little difficult to get into the video and photo playback.

*** Apple TV Vs Mac Mini - Which One Is Right For You?
<http://theappleblog.com/2007/01/16/apple-tv-vs-mac-mini-which-one-is-right-for-you/>
The Apple Blog

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/>

[News]

*** Computer Privacy In Distress
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72510-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Jennifer Granick, Wired News

A rash of recent court decisions says the Constitution may not be enough to protect my laptop from arbitrary, suspicionless and warrantless examination by the police.

*** RSS Offers Relief From Enterprise E-Mail Overload
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2084376,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Stan Gibson, eWeek

Many IT pros are turning to RSS technology for relief from e-mail malaise.

*** Skype Founders Unveil Details Of New Internet Television Project
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/16/business/EU-FIN-COM-Netherlands-Internet-Television.php>
Associated Press

*** How Yahoo Blew It
<http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,72497-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Fred Vogelstein, Wired News

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** The Warming Of greenland
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/16/science/earth/16gree.html?ex=1326603600&en=afd8c8628b03d90f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
John Collins Rudolf, New York Times

All over Greenland and the Arctic, rising temperatures are not simply melting ice; they are changing the very geography of coastlines.

[Life]

*** What's Wrong With Vocational School?
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110009535>
Charles Murray, Wall Street Journal

Too many Americans are going to college.

*** The Food Connection
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/16/technology/16food.html?ex=1326603600&en=4c3ec44c97438a63&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Karla Cook, New York Times

Many manages to find good food through a mixture of effort, serendipity, research and connectivity -- whether to the web, a hand-held device with a comprehensive database, or by word of mouth. But sometimes there is more to the equation than just the food, especially for business travelers on their own.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** How To Pay? We'll Worry About It Later
Heng-Cheong Leong

Goh Chok Tong <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/253020/1/.html>: I'll tell you quite candidly and honestly -- during election time, the idea of GST had not come in yet. Because we just thought -- we've got to do the Workfare bonus, we'll look at the sums later on.

This is from the same political party that accused opposition parties of coming up with programmes that cannot be paid for within the budget...

*** Stay Hungry
Heng-Cheong Leong

What I am about to ramble on here is pure generalisation. LIke all generalisation, it is going to be bias, and totally unfair.

I've been to career fair -- manning booths, representing companies. And a common problem I see with the graduates is that they are not simply hungry enough for a job. Take, for example, Ms Jeanne Lee Huipeng, who wrote in <http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:c6f8a7a665b20110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD> to Straits Times today: "I started to wonder if the companies had sent the right people to explain to the students whether a particular job was suitable for time."

What? You are expecting companies to spoon-feed you? Go out of the way to find you a job that you'll like?

(The last one I've been to, a career fair at Temasek Polytechnic, not one single student that I've seen had a resume. Not one.)

I am not wise; and I am definitely a flawed person. But I do have one advice -- or perhaps, recommendation. Do your own homework. Figure out which companies you'd like and you are able to get in. Get employed first. Then you can start planning for your career, and move into a job in the company or in the industry that you really like.

If you are not even bothered to come to the fair prepared, don't expect the companies to be interested in you.

[News]

*** Thaksin Is Unfair And Unkind To Singapore: Former Singapore Envoy
<http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/01/17/headlines/headlines_30024401.php>
The Nation

A former Singapore ambassador criticised deposed Thai prime minister of being entirely unfair and unkind to Singapore.

*** Singapore: Investors Looking At Options
<http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=116101>
Bangkok Post

The Singapore government says that a diplomatic row has added to the business uncertainty already created when Thailand changed foreign ownership laws.

*** Thaksin's Meeting With Singapore Not Personal One: Abhisit
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/01/17/headlines/headlines_30024379.php>
The Nation

*** Malaysia, Singapore To Start Talks On KL-Singapore Air Route By March
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/253068/1/.html>
Melissa Goh, Channel NewsAsia

Malaysia's transport minister said senior officials from his ministry and their Singapore counterparts will begin talks before the end of this quarter ont he much-antiicpated freeing-up of the KL-Singapore air route. But mr Chan Kong Choy did not give any timeframe for the liberalisation of this lucrative route.

*** Singapore Has No Regards For Diplomatic Procedures, Says Ex-Envoy
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=241879>
Bernama

Singapore has failed to understand a well-known diplomatic procedure where a person considered as "enemy" of another government should not be given official treatment, a former Thai diplomat to Singapore said today. Given the nature of Singapore's political system, Asda Jayanama said he doubted that deposed prime minister Thaksin shinawatra's recent visit and his meeting with deputy prime minister S. Jayakumar was purely social and private as claimed by the Singapore foreign affairs ministry.

*** Singapore Stresses Iran's Right To Use Nuclear Energy
<http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=8510270235>
Fars News Agency

Singapore's parliament speaker here at Tehran on Tuesday emphasized the right of all the world countries, including the Islamic Republic of Iran, to use nuclear energy for peaceful intentions.

*** SM Goh Says Plan For GST Hike Came After Elections
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/253020/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

"That's politics. That's the way campaigns should be fought. You concentrate on what you want to do -- the positive parts. And of course, in some instances, you have to raise revenue to support the programmes. And after the election, you have got to translate your pledge into reality."

*** Keen Response To Be 'Schools Of The Future'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/166276.asp>
Gracia Chiang, Today

[Opinion]

*** Shin Corp Deal Only A Commercial One -- Really?
<http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/01/17/shin-corp-deal-only-a-commercial-one-%e2%80%93-really/>
The Online Citizen

How can the finance minister himself say it is a 'commercial investment' and 'we're not dealing with it' when it involves public funds?

*** Trouble Over Unstamped Passport In Malaysia
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/166251.asp>
Bernard Ng H J, Today

*** Sir, May I Have The Can Please?
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2007/yax-702.htm>
Yawningbread.org

I wonder if the decay has begun to set in, even as we continue to boast of high GDP growth rates.

*** Why Personal Data Needed For Free Wireless Account
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:0d6feeb3b0c20110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Leong Shin Loong, SingTel, Ken Chua, iCELL, Alex Tan, QMax, Straits Times

Basic information is required in case of any misuse, as well as for correspondence purposes.

*** Creativity Without Chaos? Sure!
<http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,121491,00.html?>
Shashank Nigam, The New Paper

We must make an effort to become a hub of creativity by building on the efficiencies and (close to) perfections that already exist here.