[MyAppleMenu] Apr 19, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 19 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Mozilla Releases Thunderbird 2 E-Mail Client <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/19/thunderbird2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Thunderbird 2 &mdash; a free e-mail client that's the result of open source code development &mdash; continues the software's renowned abilities to sort out junk mail from "good" e-mail, and adds new features including advanced folder views, support for RSS and newsgroups, message "tagging", message history navigation, an improved search engine, the ability to save frequently used searches, and easier access to popular web mail services.

**** Must Everything We Buy Have A Docking Station For An iPod? <http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2059844,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=20>
by Siobhan O'Neill, The Guardian
Apple has already sold a kajillion of the things. Isn't that enough?

**** iPhone On Target For End Of June Launch AT&amp;T Says <http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1840489020070418?feedType=RSS>
by Reuters
"Our expectations are good. Our testing has been good," said AT&amp;T chief operating officer Randall Stephenson. "The iPhone is on target to launch in June."

**** BBC Will Support Macs In iPlayer <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17799>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
BBC new media boss confirms Mac support for BBC online plans "a priority".

**** Microsoft Slams iPhone As 'Irrelevant' <http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Microsoft-slams-iPhone-as-irrelevant-/0,130061702,339274960,00.htm>
by David Braue, ZDNet Australia
Apple's soon-to-be-launched iPhone will be irrelevant to busines users because it is a "closed device" and does not support Microsoft Office, a senior executive with the software giant said this week.

**** Free Advertisement For Apple
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Apple has a large group of customers who are willing to give free advertisement to Apple's products. This is well known.
But I didn't know that even Microsoft <http://robschumacher.blogspot.com/2007/04/get-mac.html> wants to give free advertisment...

**** Interview: Wil Friedwald, Owner Of The World's Largest iTunes Collection <http://www.glennwolsey.com/2007/04/19/interview-will-friedwald-owner-of-the-worlds-largest-itunes-collection/>
by Glenn Wolsey
Will Friedwald proclaims he has the world largest iTunes collection. An avid listener to Jazz music, and a writer for the New York Sun, Will spends his days in front of his Power Mac G5 running "The Matrix", his mammoth 200,000 track iTunes library.

**** Going To Disneyland!
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
This post has nothing to do with Apple or Macintosh. :-)
But, me and my wife and my daughter are going to Disneyland! The air tickets has been booked, the hotel has been reserved, all we have to do now is to wait. (And for daddy to figure out how to pay for all these.)
The last time I was inside Disney's magic/manipulation, it was the early '90s. I was also just a college student with not a lot of money. Not to say I have a lot of dough now, but it's nice to not worry too much about spending some extra money so that my daughter can have breakfast with Mickey Mouse. (At 5, I don't think she's at the age of fully realizing that is just a man in a mouse suit... I hope.)
So, if you have any tips for me regarding Hong Kong Disneyland, can you please e-mail <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com> me? Thanks!
Oh, and MyAppleMenu will shut down for a week sometime in June. :-)

**** Why Doesn't Apple TV Support Chapters, Streaming Images Or Spirtes? <http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/04/why_doesnt_apple_tv.html>
by Benjamin J. Higginbotham, Technology Evangelist

**** Is Apple Planning iPhoto For Windows? <http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/is-apple-planning-iphoto-for-windows/>
by Chris Howard, Apple Matters
The question now is will history repeat itself?

**** Invasion Of The Mac <http://www.connectedhomemag.com/Networking/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=95811>
by Jason Bovberg, Connected Home Magazine
I'm not saying that you can achieve this kind of life-into-the-computer-realm life change only by way of a Mac. But in my life, it was a Mac that showed me my digital future. My connected-home future.

**** Apple Among Supporters Of New Patent Reform Bill <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/18/patent/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Apple and a number of other companies have voiced their support for the Patent Reform Act of 2007. A bipartisan bill currently under consideration in the U.S. congress, the proposed legislation calls for some fundamental changes to the way that patents are granted and the way they're litigated in U.S. courts.

**** Elgato Releases EyeTV 2.4 With Apple TV Support <http://www.macminute.com/2007/04/18/eyetv/>
by MacMinute

**** ArtRage 2 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/04/artrage2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
ArtRage 2 is a terrific natural-media painting program at a price that's impossible to resist.

**** Four Ways To Windows: VMWare: New Kid On The Block <http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/features/windows_vmware/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
It's got ways to go before it's a polished Parallels competitor, and it isn't ready for people who need a stable, full-featured Windows environment. But it's a good start.

**** EmailCRX 1.6.2: Somewhat Complicated Spam Utility Offers Extensive Filtering <http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/reviews/emailcrx162/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Apple Details ProRes 422 Video Format <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/18/apple.details.prores.422/>
by MacNN
Apple has posted a white paper on its new Apple ProRes 422 video format, which the company says is designed to reproduce as much of an artist's original vision on the screen as possible.

**** SimpleMovieX 3 Adds Native Format Editing, Chapters <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/18/simplemoviex/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Billed as a replacement for Apple's QuickTime Pro software, SimpleMovieX is designed to enable users of digital video on the Mac to edit their content.

**** BlackBerry Outage: RIM A Victim Of Its Own Success? <http://news.com.com/BlackBerry+outage+RIM+a+victim+of+its+own+success/2100-1039_3-6177349.html?tag=nefd.lede>
by Marguerite Reardon, CNET News.com
Research In Motion's massive BlackBerry e-mail outage this week highlights how vulnerable the company's network has become as it tries to keep up with demand for its popular service.

**** Web 2.0 Showing Signs Of Bubble 2.0 Already <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=%7B028C8E7D%2D4AA8%2D4746%2DBE28%2D6454EFD675CA%7D&dist=rss>
by John C. Dvorak, MarketWatch
Everything is about exit strategies, not good products.

**** Which XML Technologies Are Beautiful? <http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2007/04/18/which-xml-techologies-are-beautiful.html>
by Michael Day, XML.com

**** Let Sleeping Oggs Lie - It's A Music File Format Without Support Or Hope <http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2059851,00.html>
by Jack Schofield, The Guardian
An industry giant could drive support for Ogg, but why would they bother? What's the profit margin on free?

**** Google Offers "Queryless Search" And Personalized Recommendations <http://searchengineland.com/070418-153238.php>
by Chris Sherman, Searchengineland.com

**** D.C. Needs To Capitalize On Its City-Like Qualities <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/13/AR2007041302266.html>
by Philip Kennicott, Washington Post
First there was an idea, and then a plan. Then, over the course of Washington's first century of existence, there was a lot of buildings, a living-up-to the plan and a filling in of empty space. And with the 20th century, there was finally a city of sorts, though it's not clear if Washington really thinks of itself in those terms. What we have here is an identity crisis, a failure of urbanity.

**** London Street Markets Reborn: Vendors Are Evolving To Reflect City Dwellers' Taste For Foods That Are Diverse And In Season <http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-trw-london22apr22>
by Beth Gardiner, Los Angeles Times
The city is booming, brimming with a new confidence. Its street markets are some of the best places to see the rapid evolution up close.

**** In The New Dating Scene, The Attraction Is A Beautiful Mind <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/15/AR2007041501096.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Anthony Faiola, Washington Post
Gray matter is the new black of the hip social scene.

**** But What If You Get Hit By A Taxi? <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/19/fashion/19UNDERWEAR.html>
by David Colman, New York Times
Novelty underwear, for decades the butt of jokes and the joke of butts, has, in the last two to three years, turned into a serious business.

**** Delhi Snacks Move Up From The Street <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/dining/18indi.html?ex=1334548800&en=fe404d2f25d144b6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Somini Sengupta, New York Times
As income rise and ways of eating change, the inevitable has happened. Street food, that emblem of raucous, messy, urban India, is slowly being tamed.

**** The Insidious Rise Of Cosmo-Cuisine <http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/the-insidious-rise-of-cosmo-cuisine>
by Salma Abdelnour, Food &amp; Wine
The cuisines of the world are merging into one giant, amorphous mass. The problem is, too many chefs worldwide are creating menus that flit across so many borders and reference so many traditions that they &mdash; and we &mdash; lose any sense of place.

**** Singapore Unveils New Growth Formula For Future Development <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world_business/view/271259/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
Mr Teo Chee Hean, minister-in-charge of the civil service, spelt out a formula aimed at helping Singapore in its next phase of development which goes beyond hard economic numbers to make it a place that people want to work, live and invest in.
See Also: Xinhua <http://english.people.com.cn/200704/19/eng20070419_368039.html>: The new formula represents a far deeper idea than a strategy focused only on economic growth, but also encompasses social, community and human development.

**** Refuting A Comment Regarding The Pay Hike For Ministers <http://charissaishere.blogspot.com/2007/04/refuting-comment-regarding-ministerial.html>
by A Little Fish Finding Her Way In The World
The thing about public service is that it is not equal to serving a company.

**** Goodbye Seletar <http://mrsbudak.livejournal.com/331500.html>
by mrsbudak
Goodbye Seletar. And goodbye to that old banyan tree we wish we could have sat under, uninterrupted.

**** Old Guard Comes Under Constant Questions From Next Generation <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070419.R02&irec=1>
by Jakarta Post
Today's questions are often about how strict attitudes will enable Singapore to measure up to their leaders' own ambitions of developing the island state into the world's hub of everything.

**** The Just-In-Case Committee Of Singapore <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070419.R03&irec=2>
by Jakarta Post
Following the 1964 inter-racial riots the Singapore government introduced a number of policies to maintain harmony. We see many grass-roots committees of local leaders, tasked to ensure that people of different races, religions and ethnicities remain in contact with one another.

**** There's An Ever-Restless Merlion Next Door <http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20070419.R01&irec=0>
by Ati Nurbaiti, Jakarta Post
It's a restless merlion we have as a neighbor. The city has not stopped as it continues to strive internationally in the areas of financial services, education, medical services, biotechnology and the arts.
And that's just the beginning of the 'to do list' attached to Singapore's Economic Development Board.

**** Food Sold At Changi Airport Eatery Will Not Entice Tourists <http://www.straitstimes.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:3e6e862cf1502110VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
by April Ang, Straits Times
I believe the management has missed the importance of what a good selection of food can do for our country.

**** "This Political Situation Is Man-Made" - Said Zahari <http://dolcelatte.blogsome.com/2007/04/18/this-political-situation-is-man-made-said-zahari/>
by Sweet Milk
I might not agree with everything that they do, and I will continue to critically assess their actions, but this is not because I'm communist or I'm anti-Singapore.

**** The Price Of Being An Idealist <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/the-price-of-being-an-idealist.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
Life is too short to focus on unhappy things. The time can be better spent doing other things that leave a positive impact on another person, another organisation, or the world.