[MyAppleMenu] Apr 18, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 18 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Good Products Gone Bad <http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/323/good-products-gone-bad>
by Daniel Jalkut, Red Sweater Blog
I can't afford to put my faith in a product gone bad.

**** Mark/Space Inc. SyncTogether <http://www.macnn.com/reviews/review.php?id=303>
by Stephen Austin, MacNN
On balance, SyncTogether is potentially a very useful tool, and a much more flexible and cheaper replacement for .Mac, but getting it to work properly can be tricky.

**** Everyone Wants A Piece Of Apple Pie (But No One Knows How To Make It) <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2114488,00.asp?kc=ZDRSS05089TX1K0001002>
by Tim Gideon, PC Magazine
If it's a larger share of the public's spending money you seek, here's a surefire way not get it: Mess with a pricing standard that finally has people listening to music again.

**** Apple To Webcast Financial Results <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17791>
by Karen Haslam, Macworld UK
Apple will announce its second quarter financial results next Wednesday, 25 April.

**** Apple, Cisco Try To Make iPhone Compatible <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/312022_ciscoapple18.html>
by Bloomberg
Cisco and Apple, each of which has a device called the iPhone, are exploring a half-dozen ways their products can work together, Cisco chief development officer Charlie Giancarlo said.

**** With Apple TV, Video Podcasts Now Make Sense <http://www.toddstauffer.com/2007/04/17/apple-tv-video-podcasts-now-make-more-sense/>
by iTodd Central

**** Boot Camp Users Have Nothing To Fear From Leopard's Delay <http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/07/0417.html>
by Alan Zisman, Low End Mac
The bottom line is that current Boot Camp users have nothing to fear from the Leopard delay.

**** Can't We All Just Get Along? Some Thoughts About The Leopard Delay <http://www.internet-nexus.com/2007/04/cant-we-all-just-get-along-some.htm>
by Pal Thurrott, Internet Nexus
Making an operating system is hard, and we can and should cut Apple some slack when there are problems. Maybe Apple and its fans could extend the same courtesy.

**** Toast 8 Titanium <http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/review_toast_8_titanium/>
by Kirk Hiner, Applelinks
It seems that every time Toast is updatd, I recommend it. Hopefully, you haven't been paying atention, because /this/ is the one you need.

**** Removal Of Microsoft Office Riles Some School Macintosh Users <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/BA07C6E3F5B6DEFCCC2572BF00103732>
by Stephen Bell Wellington, Computerworld
Mac software to replace MS Office in classroom under new education deal.

**** Treasure Your Customers
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
As the cliche goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Developers should treasure their customers, and give customers the rightful respect that they deserve.
Too bad that many developers doesn't seem to want to treasure their customers. Too bad that many of developers seems to want to weed out pirates rather than make customers happy.
There are a lot of competition out there. Many products are 'free' nowadays. And competition can come from the most unlikely of places. (Applescripts, spreadsheets, and database applications, for example, /can/ be very powerful indeed.)
It is very easy to find out why a product sucks. And it can be very easy to move on.

**** Barbarians At The Gates Of The Cult Of Mac <http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/04/barbarians_at_the_gate_of_the_cult_of_mac.html>
by Dwight Silverman, Houston Chronicle
Evangelists tell all their friends how wonderful something is, and eventually the masses try it and like it. Mainstreamers change the equation and the nature of the product. They come because it's cool, but because they've arrived, it's no longer cool.

**** BlogMate - Blogging With TextMate On Steroids <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/04/17/blogmate-blogging-with-textmate-on-steroids/>
by David Chartier, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Minigolf Mania: Simple Graphics, Annoying Sounds Help Minimature Golf Game Wear Out Its Welcome <http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/reviews/minigolfmania/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Apple Now Says 3-Hour Keynote Listing An Error <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/17/update_apple_now_says_3_hour_keynote_listing_an_error.html>
by AppleInsider
Jobs' keynote will in fact run the traditional 90 minutes.

**** Four Ways To Windows: Parallels: Multi-OS Powerhouse <http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/features/windows_parallels/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
With its excellent application support, well-integrated Coherence mode, drag-and-drop capabilities, and overall level of performance, Parallels is a great match for people who need to run the full Windows OS on their Macs &mdash; or people who'd like to experiment with other operating systems, such as Linux.

**** Spamfire 2.3: Stand-Alone Spam Filter Helps Identify Spam But Is Too Controlling <http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/reviews/spamfire23/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
I'm a little uncomfortable with the amount of control it has over the mail on my POP and IMAP servers, I don't like having to pay yearly subscription fees (however modest), and I wish it were a little more stable.

**** Apple Seriously Considering iPhone Rebate, Subsidy - Report <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/17/apple_seriously_considering_iphone_rebate_subsidy_report.html>
by Katie Marsal, AppleInsider
In an in-depth research note released to clients on Tuesday, American Technology analyst Shaw Wu cited sources who indicate that a mail-in rebate or carrier subsidy for iPhone of $50-$150 is under serious consideration by the Cupertino-based electronics firm.

**** Creating .Net Applications On Linux And Mac OS X <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016832&source=rss_topic123>
by James Avery and Jim Holmes, Computerworld

**** Livin' La Vida Google: A Month-Long Dive Into Web-Based Apps <http://www.wired.com/software/softwarereviews/news/2007/04/lavidagoogle>
by Michael Calore, Wired
I wanted to test Google Apps' viability as an office suite, but also to see how close we are to tomorrow's promise of the web-based desktop.

**** Technology: Our Coping Mechanism <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Virginia_Tech_Virtual_Tragedy.html>
by Martha Irvine, Associated Press
Horrible, real-world happenings are unfolding almost simultaneously in the virtual world, as Virginia Tech students and people from all over the world gather online to grieve and vent.

**** Browser Wars Over, Says Microsoft, Mozilla, Opera And Google <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9016827&intsrc=hm_list>
by Heather Havenstein, Computerworld
Thr browser wars was over, and now Microsoft, Mozilla and other vendors plan to focus on positioning the browser as a development platform. That was the consensus yesterday of a panel of representatives here at the O'Reilly Web 2.0 Expo who help develop Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and the Google Reader.

**** Viriginia Tech: How Media Are Evolving <http://citmedia.org/blog/2007/04/17/virginia-tech-how-media-are-evolving/>
by Dan Gillmor, Center For Citizen Media
Once again, horror has given us a glimpse of our media future: simultaneously conversational and distributed, mass and personal.

**** Virginia Tech Professor Gave His Life TO Save Students <http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-na-heroes18apr18,0,1180802.story?track=mostviewed-splashpage>
by Richard T. Cooper and Valerie Reitman, Los Angeles Times
Liviu Librescu had survived the Holocaust. He died Monday holding the classroom door shut against a youthful gunman.

**** Unwritten Rules Begone! <http://www.jessicafung.com/?p=218>
by Jessica Fung
Someone somehow needs to write these unwritten rules down. Because clearly I don't get them.

**** Flight Of The Educated Class <http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2007/04/flight_of_the_e.html>
by Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart
It is unfortunately true that Singapore is still suffering from an innovator's dilemma.

**** What Means Testing Means To You! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/04/what-means-testing-means-to-you.html>
by Diary Of A Singapore Mind
There is clearly a need for all of us to be prepared to understand the PAP's explanation on means testing.

**** "Bring Your Own Bag" Campaign Gets Mixed Reactions <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/271092/1/.html>
by Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia

**** A Singapore Song <http://vantan.org/archives/2007/04/a_singapore_son.php>
by Vantan.org

**** Singapore Festival Rebuffs Censors <http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117963250.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562>
by Patrick Frater, Variety
The Singapore Intl. Film Fest, which got under way today, celebrates its 20th edition shaped by the twin forces of censorship and a crop of new helmers.

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Fallen Angel <http://www.letsgobowling.com/disco.html>
by Let's Go Bowling
Click here to listen <http://www.letsgobowling.com/music/fallenangel.mp3>.