[MyAppleMenu] Apr 20, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 20 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Apple: A Romance <http://buzz.vox.com/library/post/leaving-apple.html>
by Buzz Andersen
I will always look back very fondly on my time at Apple, and I'm forever indebted to the friends there who gave me my big chance, took me under their wings, and taught me so much. Apple remains, in my mind, a very special place, and I consider it a distinct honor to have been there during a large part of what might be called the company's "Silver Age."

**** Apple Seen Having Upper Hand In Music Negotiations <http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070420:MTFH49615_2007-04-20_13-53-44_N18321657&type=comktNews&rpc=44>
by Yinka Adegoke, Reuters
When Apple Inc. sits for ocntract negotiations with the major record companies over the next month, it will probably seek further concessions from them on selling music without copy-protection software.

**** Real Arcade's AquaPark For Mac Released <http://www.macminute.com/2007/04/20/aquapark-for-mac/>
by MacMinute

**** Photoshop CS3: Sprawling Upgrade Offers New Features And Goes Intel-Native <http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/reviews/photoshopcs3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Heid, Macworld
The bottom line is that Photoshop CS3 is the best, most full-featured image-editing program available for photographers and designers.

**** 10 Ways To Get The Most Out Of Your Apple Remote <http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/04/19/10-ways-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-apple-remote/>
by Simplehelp
The Apple Remote has turned out to be one of my favorite things about my MacBook Pro. Aside from its obvious uses, you can use it to do a pretty wide variety of things. Here are 10 of the ways I've used the Apple Remote to make my life a bit easier.
/My view: I remember having an Apple-issued remote control for my Macintosh LC 630 many years ago. As far as I remember, besides watching television on my Mac, that remote wasn't that useful. How time has changed.../

**** Where Is Apple Headed With The Mac? <http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/9869B70C-DB6F-456A-80AC-20057C5CBE7A.html>
by Roughly Drafted

**** Why No Third-Party iPhone Apps At Launch? Two Words: Battery Life <http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2007/04/why-no-third-party-iphone-apps-at>
by Blackfriars' Marketing
Apple has too much invested in the iPhone and its success to allow such unintended consequences to spoil the launch of this flagship product.

**** Four Ways To Windows: CrossOver: Windows Applications Without Windows <http://www.macworld.com/2007/04/features/windows_crossover/index.php>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
CodeWeavers' CrossOver Mac is unique among virtualization programs in that it doesn't actually require a copy of Windows.

**** Apple Closes Holes With Security Update 2007-004 <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/19/security/index.php>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Gartner: Apple's Q1 Sales Rise 30 Percent In U.S. <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/19/garnterq1/index.php>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Apple hung on to 5 percent of the U.S. personal computer market the first quarter of this year, research firm Gartner said Thursday, fueled by another impressive jump in systems sold compared to a year ago.

**** Aperture 1.5.3 Improves Reliability, Speed <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/aperture.153.released/>
by MacNN

**** Your Virtual Clone <http://technologyreview.com/Infotech/18561/>
by Wade Roush, MIT Technology Review
Chatterbots from MyCyberTwin can respond to questions about you when you're not online.

**** Big Money In Little Screens <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/20/technology/20mobile.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin>
by Miguel Helft, New York Times
Google, Microsoft and Yahoo have all trained their sights on cellphones, which they see as the next great battleground in the internet search wars.

**** Pagination And Page-View Juicing Are Evil <http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2007/04/pagination-is-evil>
by Mike Davidson
At some point you have to ask yourself if the page view is your most important metric over time.

**** The Blog Is The New Resume <http://bokardo.com/archives/the-blog-is-the-new-resume/>
by Joshua Porter, Bokardo

**** What Are First Editions Worth? <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/04/what_are_first_editions_worth.html>
by Sam Jordison, The Guardian
There's plenty of money to be made from them, but the genuine value of such fetishised rarities is hard to discern.

**** Interesting News Report <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/interesting-news-report.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
What I don't understand is why a four term ex-MP cannot be named.

**** "Oops, My Neighbors Sold My Home...!" <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/04/oops-my-neighbor-sold-my-home.html>
by Diary Of A Singapore Mind
Now your neighbor can sell your house... sometimes without you knowing!

**** Human Organ Transplant Act <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2007/03/human-organ-transplant-act.html>
by Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

**** Shoppers Want To Be Given Discounts For Bringing Their Own Bags: Poll <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/271494/1/.html>
by Daniel Tan, Channel NewsAsia
Shoppers should be given discounts for bringing their own bags on any shopping day, so as to encourage more people to use their own bags when out shopping &mdash; this is the opinion of almost 80 percent of over 1,000 people who took part in a channelnewsasia.com poll in relation to BYOBD (Bring Your Own Bag Day).
/My view: I'm definitely not surprised by the result of this poll./

**** Re-Employment Prospects Of Retrenched Residents At 9-Year High <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/271450/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The re-employment prospects of retrenched residents improved to a nine-year high in 2006 amid increase job opportunities available.
These are the key findings from the "Retrenchment and Re-employment, 2006" report by the ministry of manpower.

**** Singapore Censors Two Films Over Sex, Religion <http://nz.entertainment.yahoo.com/070419/5/cab.html>
by Reuters
The censorship board told Reuters that films submitted for festivals are generally given more leeway "in view of the limited screening and niche audience," but added the two films exceeded that leeway.
/My view: I have a problem with this. By this argument, if we push it to its logical implications, DVDs that any individual imports shouldn't be subjected to censorship at all. After all, it is for limited screening (my living room) and niche audience (me and my family). Of course, if I read the laws correctly, that's not true./

**** Make Coin Deposit Machines Free To Use <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/184208.asp>
by Haslinda Shamsudin, Today
If indeed The Singapore Mint and Kopitiam are serious about encouraging the public to boost the circulation of old coins, they should do away with the charges.

**** Means Testing A Minefield <http://www.asianewsnet.net/editorial.php?aid=9186>
by Straits Times
Patients of middle-income bracket and upwards will reasonably expect undiscounted subsidised care, if they choose to, as they pay tax.

**** Schools To Have Swimming Programmes; Overall Water Safety Will Be Stepped Up <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/184249.asp>
by Daphne Chuah, Today

The Shuffe by MyAppleMenu

**** Forget Me <http://thedimes.com/index3.html>